PDA

View Full Version : problem with g63b engine

thesycio
08-31-2015, 08:54 AM
the problem started when i decided to clean the intake manifold so to do that i had to take of the distributor but i saw it already have a mark on it so i decided not 2 mark anything now when i tried lining it back up on its mark it's not pointing at the #1 on the dizzy cap, did some research an found out there's a original mark on the dizzy with a circle at the gear, but the problem now is its still not pointing to #1, at this point i don't knw if the problem is the dizzy or what it is the engine turns over new plugs, coil so it sparks gas is coming, but it start for like 2/3 sec and backfire flames out carb/ muffle, it's not runnin like it use to, i have a g63b engine the block has ppaint on it stating g62b so don't knw if it has a 1800 block with the 2000 head i'm sure its 2000 g63b head doh, so any help will be gr8ly appreciated

thesycio
08-31-2015, 08:57 AM
will see if i get a pic of the dizzy

cerealwars
09-03-2015, 01:12 PM
I'd put money on the distributor being clocked incorrectly. Rotate the engine to top dead center. Then remove and reclock the distributor until the rotor is pointing toward the no. 1 spark plug post on the cap. The rotor will spin a little as you drop the dizzy in, keep this in mind that you want the rotor to be pointing at no. 1 after the distributor is completely seated. Any time you remove the distributor, make sure you mark the rotor's position or else you're asking for trouble.

camoit
09-03-2015, 02:42 PM
Pull the valve cover and just set the timing all over again by using the mark on the gear. Or pull the plug on #1 and run it up to TDC on the compression stroke and stick the dist. It's off by 1 tooth at least.

thesycio
09-05-2015, 11:08 AM
when i'm putting the dizzy back in can i use any point on the dizzy to use as #1 so longs as i use it as my #1 then set the timing clockwise to 1342

camoit
09-08-2015, 09:49 PM
It "should be" but does not necessarily need to be at the correct # 1 on the distributor. It's just good practice. All a distributor does is spin around and send spark out at every 90 degree angle.
Now if you have a rare V6 Chevy odd fire engine then you can't just pick a place.

thesycio
09-09-2015, 02:37 PM
thanks so much for the help