PDA

View Full Version : No crank

cory74700
08-23-2015, 08:38 AM
Just replaced the battery with a load and voltage tested new battery, and hooked up disconnected fuel lines from previous owners strange work. the truck was cranking full speed for about 15 secs, i was getting fuel through lines to carb. then i stopped, waited ten mins to allow starter to cool a bit then went back to crank again, and nothing, headlights, wipers, flashers, brake lights etc all work but im just getting one single click from relay and no crank of starter, any clues that i should look for?? im going to go down and check connection to starter relay in a few, and grounds. truck is new to me so i havent fully gone through it to see what all is wrong with it, i know it had a minor rodent infestation (crap in glove box) at one point but i havent discovered any chewed wires yet just some chewed up interior panels for nesting materials i presume. i will be pulling the dash sometime this week to sort out the tweaker wiring job i discovered was done with the radio and some firewall wires. ive checked all the fuses at the box in foot compartment, but none of the fuseable links under hood or under dash yet.

also in the same electrical topic i noticed when turning the headlights on, i have no running lights front or rear, as mentioned above, all fuses so far have checked out good. a couple days ago i pulled the speedo cluster to replace the bulbs with brighter LED bulbs, and i have a home made 12v rig i tested them with and all lit up from the plug pins and theres no burnt spots on the back either, also fuel and temp gauge dont seem to work when installed in truck either, plus when i turn the key to on but not crank, i get no dash lights at all like newer vehicles. ive found some disconnected wires under the bed but they seem to have become de-soldered from a key hole within the gas fill door (not sure what this was from, maybe a fuel cutoff??) but fuel does reach the carb, ive witnessed it squirting from the jets.

cory74700
08-23-2015, 08:40 AM
also thanks in advance!!

cory74700
08-23-2015, 09:43 AM
so little update. my main lead to the starter relay off of battery is so old that the outer insulation has dry rotted to no end. so ill be ordering probably ten feet of thick gauge battery cable and replacing positive and ground with left over for later in life. i did get it to crank over and start, however the throttle gets stuck wide open and wont start unless its wide open, so im going to be rebuilding carb, and replacing all vacuum lines and replacing intake manifold gasket too since water leaked from the carb into the intake anyway.

but enough off topic, my issue still persists with the running and dash lights thus far, i will be doing some digging around later and checking continuity or replacing wires along the way, if i come across a fault, i will update on here the locations for if someone else later on has the same issue so they can check the spots first before throwing fuses and relays at it hoping for a fix, i might end up replacing all the light wiring with new just to modernize it a little bit, and i may as well update the old barrel type fuse block to a more modern to accept the wedge style fuses along with relocating the fuse block up under the dash (i have long legs and big feet and getting in the little truck, i almost always kick that damn thing anyway). ill try to remember to take some photos and post them up along the way, as i have had a hell of a time finding any reliable photos of anything for this truck when searching google images.