PDA

View Full Version : gas tank interchange?

l.k.
07-25-2011, 07:10 PM
i have a person that needs my gas tank. i dont need it and would like to help him out for a low price to get him moving right again.

he has a 1989 Dodge Ram 50 4x4 2.6-----i have a 1995 mighty max 2 wheel drive 5 speed reg cab short bed--and the motor idk. I sold it before i ever knew what it was..
ARE THE TANKS INTERCHANGEABLE? WILL MINE WORK? WHATS THE DIFFERENCES?

THANKS IN ADVANCE.
KENNY

remoc8116
07-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Well Kenny thanks for trying but looks like nobody knows, I have called around and everyplace i call say's they have no clue.

l.k.
07-26-2011, 05:12 PM
someone will chime in......
PENNYMAN1------HELP US OUT.....

pennyman1
07-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Problem is, the 95 tank has the FI pump in the tank, whereas the the 89 is outside the tank. It will bolt up, but you will have to pull the pump unit out, remove the electric one, then plumb a line from the pickup to the top of the plate. Mounting wise, it should bolt right up. Since the pump is separate from the sender, you won't need wiring changes there. Senders should work the same, but sending him the fuel gauge from the 95 if you have it will ensure the gauge will work.

turbomax
07-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Problem is, the 95 tank has the FI pump in the tank, whereas the the 89 is outside the tank. It will bolt up, but you will have to pull the pump unit out, remove the electric one, then plumb a line from the pickup to the top of the plate. Mounting wise, it should bolt right up. Since the pump is separate from the sender, you won't need wiring changes there. Senders should work the same, but sending him the fuel gauge from the 95 if you have it will ensure the gauge will work.

I know they have different parts numbers, but pennyman1 is right and you should be able to bolt it on and make it work. Even the V6 gas is slightly different, but should work.

You will also need to plug the return line on the tank. I don't believe carbs use return lines.

pennyman1
07-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Yes they do have return lines, so use the return line - even my 1980 has a return line, although it was used primarily for vapor.

l.k.
07-27-2011, 06:25 PM
thanks guys for all the info....

i dont know if he will want to go through all that...but hey its a tank and its in perfect condtion..i dont need it ..and its cheap....