PDA

View Full Version : Electric Fuel Pump Location

abeemanator
07-24-2011, 11:08 PM
I have an electric fuel pump on my 87 2.0l for the Weber Carb. When I replaced the head gasket I took the cam out for the mechanical pump, but anyways, I have the electric pump up on the fender well, it seems to work fine, but I see where people put them by the tank. Why is mounting it by the tank better?

Thanks,
Andrew

Dave the dude
07-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Electric pumps push much better than they pull. Closer to the gas tank the better. Inside the tank, even better.

Rickdees
07-25-2011, 05:34 PM
Dave's the man, I’m sure 99.9% aftermarket electric fuel pump makers say to mount near fuel tank.
And since you now have electric pump most here would recommend reading this thread about installing a fuel pump shut off switch from the oil pressure, for you and your loved ones safety.
http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/showthread.php/373-Electric-fan-fuel-pump-switches
It's not hard to do it just takes time.
What kind of fuel pump did you buy. I'm just curious, I just upgraded to a carter rotary fuel pump this month and then had to replace it Friday. (just a fluke, it happens)

camoit
07-25-2011, 08:47 PM
You should mount no further away from the tank then 12 inches. It can cause the pump to fail on the suction valve. I had the problem of vacuum lock with it on the fender. Check out the pump manufactures web site for there recommendations.

abeemanator
07-25-2011, 10:05 PM
I do not know what type it is, it is an old one I found laying around that we used for testing purposes. One issue on the fuel pump shutoff, I don't have the sender for the oil pressure light anymore, I put a mechanical gauge in, but the line broke and leaked oil everywhere, so I plugged it with a bolt.

pennyman1
07-26-2011, 05:31 PM
Most electric fuel pumps of this type are pushers; they have no real suction like a mechanical pump. Mine is mounted to a custom plate just above the outlet from the tank; when I put the turbo motor in, I am going to change out the tank for another stock one with a bigger outlet installed in the tank.

Acuta73
07-27-2011, 05:35 AM
Sending unit should be fairly cheap from a junkyard or even new from an autoparts place. Nothing too fancy there.

Mechanical oil pressure = fail. Still have a leaky POS in my truck.

abeemanator
07-28-2011, 09:45 AM
I know, I only had enough line to put mine near the fuse panel, and I think my foot got caught on it and broke the line, next thing I knew my foot was real warm and the engine was ticking like crazy.