PDA

View Full Version : Failed Emissions x3......

Jorge83
04-18-2015, 10:53 PM
Third emissions fail and I dont understand how this could be.

All three tests have different results and show no improvement.

Any thoughts? About to cave into the diagnostic from some mechanic shop but sucks to pay 80 bucks for someone to just tell you whats wrong only to charge you more.

Ramshorn
05-26-2015, 10:03 AM
I also failed three times and finally had a secondary cat spliced into the exhaust after trying several different things under the hood. Passed with flying colors, then took the secondary cat off. IMPORTANT, I'm also running a weber carb.

I'm not saying this is what you need to do to pass, but I was running out of options after trying over & over again. Hope this helps, best of luck!

DroppedMitsu
05-26-2015, 01:02 PM
You have too much unburnt fuel if CO is high. Have you done new air filter, plugs/wires, vacuum leak, bad cat converter, vacuum leaks, etc..

Could also be the p.o.s. stock carb going/is bad. They are known to cause all kinds of problems at this age.

noahwins
05-26-2015, 01:24 PM
There should be a vacuum line diagram underneath the hood. Follow it line by line and check, squeeze, replace each and every vacuum line as needed. Check for any missing or unconnected lines by putting a finger over any orphan connections and feeling for vacuum or listening for a hissing sound. The lines are probably dry and cracking. It's running super rich. Have you replace the O2 sensor? Also check the pulse air pump, make sure it's connected, the valve operates when you apply vacuum to it using a handheld pump and isn't clogged.

tink
06-03-2015, 02:31 AM
Ok, I give, how come nobody included PCV ? Agreed with the hoses, tho for sure, most all of mine were very nearly dry as dust and cracking. Nobody before you added an EGR block off plate I wonder, too.