PDA

View Full Version : Does this 4D56 sound like it's firing on all 4 cylinders?

noahwins
03-05-2015, 02:07 PM
I bought it knowing I was going to rebuild it but can someone who knows diesel tell me if this sounds OK? Ignoring the squeaking belt, it sounded (to me, IDK) like it was misfiring starting at 0:10. 140,000 miles. The engine had a fresh OEM oil filter still on it so that's a good sign. I hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kSFQwRUNTU

Downloaded the manual and will read that thing front to back.

Yay diesel. :))

noahwins
03-06-2015, 12:55 PM
Published on Mar 5, 2015
Category: Comedy

OK then.

pennyman1
03-06-2015, 01:07 PM
I'm no diesel expert, but it sounds like something is not quite right. Maybe run some diesel fuel injection cleaner through it and see if it clears up.

noahwins
03-06-2015, 04:36 PM
BTFO.

noahwins
03-06-2015, 09:23 PM
This is how it SHOULD sound at idle. Obviously I got a lot of work to do, I'm guessing more than injector cleaner. I'm wincing when the guy revs it up that high. Be gentle with my sick engine, man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndp7adcZpqE

BradMph
03-07-2015, 02:50 AM
That squeak in your video is exactly the same sound my truck made when that bearing went out. I hate that sound now.

As for how a diesel should sound, the above video sounds better then your first video, but to me diesels all sound sort of like a cross between a jalopy and a regular engine with a knox problem. I'm sure you'll get it figured out and have it running perfect. The prior owner didn't give you any clues to the condition of the engine?

Sounds like is has a miss in a cylinder or a sticky valve.

noahwins
03-07-2015, 03:53 PM
It's a '92 Japanse Delica takeout pennyman posted a link to. It was the second of two 4D56s they had in stock, the other was intercooled. I had to get the non-intercooled version to get it past DMV, then the truck is smog exempt forever and I'll upgrade the turbo and add an intercooler.

Yeah, it definitely needs valves, new gasket, belts, rebuilt turbo and fuel pump at the least. I'll crack it open and see how the rings and cylinder walls are doing.

pennyman1
03-07-2015, 04:17 PM
I do not guarantee any item posted by me on this forum...

noahwins
03-07-2015, 08:50 PM
Hahahaha, pennyman's so shady.

As for how a diesel should sound, the above video sounds better then your first video, but to me diesels all sound sort of like a cross between a jalopy and a regular engine with a knox problem.

I didn't like the sound of them for a long time, too. I always thought they sounded "broken." But I think that's because I associated them with those wheezy old Benz shitboxes rolling around with clouds of black smoke pouring out in the 1980s. That horrible shoes in the washing machine sound. But I've grown to love the sound the more I learned about them. I don't know if this is an internet myth but supposedly most diesels idle at a pitch close to 26 Hz, the same as a cat's purr. The sound grew on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drq_ww7Ytzw

foesgth
03-13-2015, 12:33 PM
Well, my D-50 is my first diesel road yacht, but I have spent 100s of hours talking to boat engines. Remember a diesel fires due to compression and cylinder heat. When you first fire them up the tend to miss for a few seconds until all the cylinders get some heat. Does it do it only when firing from cold or also when starting warm?

noahwins
03-13-2015, 01:03 PM
This is the only video I got from the broker before they pulled it out of the Delica. More as proof that the engine runs. I don't know if it was cold or not. I guess I could feed it some fuel l and see how it runs on the engine stand for a minute or two.