PDA

View Full Version : 83 Ram 50 Named Chuck

LukeGirard
01-27-2015, 01:07 AM
Hi I'm Luke. I'm a BMW Guy at heart but have always wanted a truck too. After I sold my last BMW (2nd e34 V8 5 Speed, 3rd Bmw) I picked up Chuck. He's a 1983 Dodge Ram 50 Custom 2wd 2.6L Engine with sport seats and I picked him up for $850. As of right now its my only vehicle (DD) and my fun off-road truck! Plans are to redo the whole interior in black, reupholster the seats, replace the rubber floor mat with black carpet, paint inside of cab black, replace cracked dash, install new radio and 2 12" subs. I can't decide if I want to lift & 4x4 or lower and make drift truck. Well here is a picture of him and I'll update the next time I do something cool to him. =)

strong79
01-27-2015, 03:20 PM
Lower & Drift

Fordubishi
01-27-2015, 05:26 PM
if you want to drift get a beat to hell BMW or some RB, Sr20, Ka40de crap can. That truck looks like it's in nice shape,just drop it a few inch's and drive the wheels off it as a daily/ cruiser.

BradMph
01-27-2015, 05:50 PM
Here, have your cake and eat it too! :lmao:

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12522&d=1420686697&thumb=1

LukeGirard
01-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Here, have your cake and eat it too! :lmao:

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12522&d=1420686697&thumb=1

Lol I've seen that. I don't like it lol. I've already taken chuck off-road alot an he does great! If I lower him
I wont be able to go off-road =( And the body has alot of rust he lived in San Deigo for a long time so the salt really rusted him =( Even the dash is rusty. I'm not sure what the plans are but as of right now hes my DD. Although everytime I come to a stop he idles fine but when I give him gas to go he dies. What's up with that??

strong79
01-28-2015, 11:32 AM
Check your timing. Should be about 10 DBTDC. And do a low idle tune. Theres a thread for tuning webers on here. If you have the stock mikuni look for any air leaks on the intake side.

LukeGirard
01-28-2015, 11:46 PM
Check your timing. Should be about 10 DBTDC. And do a low idle tune. Theres a thread for tuning webers on here. If you have the stock mikuni look for any air leaks on the intake side.

I've never worked on a carbureted engine before so this will be a learning curve.

LukeGirard
01-29-2015, 09:55 PM
Installed a cool horn =)

LukeGirard
01-29-2015, 10:57 PM
Installed a cool horn =)

LukeGirard
02-06-2015, 09:50 PM
So I'm having a problem. The truck is currently straight piped. Over the last 2 days my oil light has been going off and on while driving. Today he had a hard time accelerating on the freeway so I checked the oil when I got to work and there was no oil registering on the dipstick. No smoke has ever come out of the exhaust and the engine doesn't leak visibly onto the ground. Is my engine burning oil? If it is what do I need to do?! I don't have any money to throw at him right now and he's the only vehicle I have.

strong79
02-07-2015, 05:35 AM
Maybe just add oil and keep a close eye on the level while u save some $

Rickdees
02-07-2015, 04:38 PM
Hi Luke, if chuck were burning that much oil I would think you"d see it. But burning 1 qt. every 1 thousand mile isn't uncommon on a old engine.
Another spot to look at for oil leaks is behind the valve cover.

LukeGirard
02-07-2015, 05:10 PM
Hi Luke, if chuck were burning that much oil I would think you"d see it. But burning 1 qt. every 1 thousand mile isn't uncommon on a old engine.
Another spot to look at for oil leaks is behind the valve cover.

I've put about 1500 miles on the truck since I bought him and he was empty after a week of driving him. I'm thinking that he's leaking oil out of the oil pan it doesn't look sealed all the way around.

pennyman1
02-07-2015, 05:38 PM
oil leaks from the back of the valve cover will run down the back of the motor and look like a oil pan leaking - clean off the motor and then see what gets oily

BradMph
02-08-2015, 09:54 AM
Check that half moon rubber piece on back of cover. They get dried out. Plugs would be all oily if burning so much. Just hope the radiator isn't drinking the oil...:shock: Stuffed up PCV valve can pressurize and force oil out places.

LukeGirard
02-10-2015, 12:09 AM
Check that half moon rubber piece on back of cover. They get dried out. Plugs would be all oily if burning so much. Just hope the radiator isn't drinking the oil...:shock: Stuffed up PCV valve can pressurize and force oil out places.

So NO leaking oil and I've checked the oil every day since and the level hasn't changed. No oil in the radiator and its not burning oil either. So weird.

ragragtimetime
02-10-2015, 03:15 AM
maybe it was not started for a long time prior to your purchase & the rings needed to "re-seat" themselves:shrug:

LukeGirard
02-10-2015, 06:41 AM
maybe it was not started for a long time prior to your purchase & the rings needed to "re-seat" themselves:shrug:

He sat for about 8 months before I bought him. I don't know but I'm not having problems now.

LukeGirard
02-14-2015, 08:53 PM
So on Wednesday Chuck caught on fire. It was an electrical fire and ruined the whole wiring harness and dash. Everything still worked after other than the turn signals and dome light. I've been looking for a new harness since Tuesday and today I came across a 1983 Mighty Max Auto (just like my truck) 4x4!!!!!! complete not running. So I'm picking it up tomorrow for $250!!!!!! Plans are to take the engine out of chuck and put into new truck! =D Here are pictures of new truck. I'm sad chuck will be a donor but I can't wait for 4x4!

BradMph
02-14-2015, 11:10 PM
wow, that needs to be powerwashed inside and out. The body looks ok though. I'm sure that's 2.0L, your profile needs to be changed to reflect this. Confusing to see 4G15. Its a 4G63 2.0L. Make sure the prior owners tell you everything wrong with the truck to give you a head start.
Gawd Chuck was a great looking truck too, Put the running gear and all on him instead, lol.

LukeGirard
02-15-2015, 12:19 AM
wow, that needs to be powerwashed inside and out. The body looks ok though. I'm sure that's 2.0L, your profile needs to be changed to reflect this. Confusing to see 4G15. Its a 4G63 2.0L. Make sure the prior owners tell you everything wrong with the truck to give you a head start.
Gawd Chuck was a great looking truck too, Put the running gear and all on him instead, lol.

There both the same color =) and Chuck has rust in alot of places. I keep finding more and more as I take him apart. I Plan on keeping chuck too I'm not sure what I'm doing with him yet but I won't scrap him.

LukeGirard
02-15-2015, 12:23 AM
Not sure how to edit posts. If this new truck requires a lot of engine work then I plan on swapping the engines. Also swapping the brand new shock off of chuck onto this truck along with the 4 headlights. I hope the 4WD works if it does it'll be awesome!

pennyman1
02-15-2015, 01:55 PM
shocks are different 2wd to 4wd. You also need to swap the metal plates the headlights bolt to to make the swap - the 83 MMM grille is more rare and worth keeping. The motor will fit regardless of if it is a 2.0 or 2.6 - both automatic blocks are the same narrow bolt pattern - you may have to swap torque convertors to match the 4wd tranny.

LukeGirard
02-15-2015, 01:58 PM
Okay I want to keep the grill nice so I'll store the rare one away =) and I'm just swapping engines the trans in chuck doesn't have the last gear it won't accelerate past 65/70 =( so hopefully the transmission in the new truck works fine.

LukeGirard
02-15-2015, 11:24 PM
Got the new truck home tonight! It hasn't been registered since 2001 but its on non op so no back fees! He said it drove to where they parked it and it hasn't moved since. Tomorrow I'm going to wash it and try and kill as many spiders as I can. Here's a pic of it on the trailer bringing it home!

hondabuilder
02-15-2015, 11:41 PM
well, thats been an interesting read.

I feel pretty damn lucky now that I've been reading so many stories of things breaking on their mighty max... knock on wood, got mine for 800, running and passed smog first try.. haven't done much to it besides tires, oil, air cleaner, and putting 10k miles on in 6 months.

mine has some issues like yours. It burns oil, about a quart every 1500-2k miles. my california smog test readings showed the motor running perfect and emissions in the optimal range, cat working fine and everything. so I guess its not a huge deal, just refill. I got a small weep from a seal in the front but I've been keeping an eye on it and theres no way thats causing the amount im losing.

I specialize in vintage japanese motorcycles and I've found a lot of similarities in electrical design between my 86 first gen MM and the bikes I work on. I went through my dash electrical and fixed some worn out switches and connectors before they became a fire hazard, I saw them on an underdash inspection and knew right away they needed attention based on what I saw on my bikes.

really sucks to hear about that fire.. Thats some scary shit right there.

I live in a little mountain town and take my 2wd offroading a few times a week, mountain trails, service trails, sometimes not even a trail... its stock ride height, if anything its a little lower due to sagging springs, it handles just fine but I nearly got stuck a few times due to no locker or 4wd. lots of fun to be had doing burn outs and circles in a dirt field though!!!

I just saw your profile and it says so cal as well! thats good to see.

hondabuilder
02-15-2015, 11:43 PM
seriously I will buy that camper shell though if your in so cal. lets talk about it

LukeGirard
02-16-2015, 01:18 AM
well, thats been an interesting read.

I feel pretty damn lucky now that I've been reading so many stories of things breaking on their mighty max... knock on wood, got mine for 800, running and passed smog first try.. haven't done much to it besides tires, oil, air cleaner, and putting 10k miles on in 6 months.

mine has some issues like yours. It burns oil, about a quart every 1500-2k miles. my california smog test readings showed the motor running perfect and emissions in the optimal range, cat working fine and everything. so I guess its not a huge deal, just refill. I got a small weep from a seal in the front but I've been keeping an eye on it and theres no way thats causing the amount im losing.

I specialize in vintage japanese motorcycles and I've found a lot of similarities in electrical design between my 86 first gen MM and the bikes I work on. I went through my dash electrical and fixed some worn out switches and connectors before they became a fire hazard, I saw them on an underdash inspection and knew right away they needed attention based on what I saw on my bikes.

really sucks to hear about that fire.. Thats some scary shit right there.

I live in a little mountain town and take my 2wd offroading a few times a week, mountain trails, service trails, sometimes not even a trail... its stock ride height, if anything its a little lower due to sagging springs, it handles just fine but I nearly got stuck a few times due to no locker or 4wd. lots of fun to be had doing burn outs and circles in a dirt field though!!!

I just saw your profile and it says so cal as well! thats good to see.
Awesome! I took mine off road all most every day until it caught on fire lol that's why I bought this new truck.

LukeGirard
02-18-2015, 11:20 AM
HondaBuilder came over yesterday and picked up the shell, tailights, and some little parts. A couple friends and I got the truck started for the first time in 14 years yesterday after replacing the distributor. Now I need to drain the gas and put some clean gas in and see if she runs! I hope to have it running by the end of this week.

BradMph
02-18-2015, 12:02 PM
That is great news for a truck that has sat for that long. GG!

LukeGirard
02-18-2015, 01:09 PM
That is great news for a truck that has sat for that long. GG!
Well it started last night. This morning I went out and wired the rear speakers into my radio and put everything under the hood back. (mounted coil, battery, put the hood back on) And now it won't start. It doesn't even crank over! I don't know what I did. I changed nothing under the hood and everything else works just fine! Aghhhhh

mitchi
02-18-2015, 03:22 PM
I specialize in vintage japanese motorcycles and I've found a lot of similarities in electrical design between my 86 first gen MM and the bikes I work on. they needed attention based on what I saw on my bikes.

Sorry to read about the fire too......bad stuff.

Glad you got a backup.

Don't intend to hijack the thread.........................but, would love to see some of those vintage bikes.

I've got a few. Might need a few pointers on one of them..........Thanks

pennyman1
02-18-2015, 05:04 PM
Check the positive battery cable from the battery to the starter - it may have disconnected in the insulation. Also try jumping from the battery to the starter and try starting it. There is also fusible links off the battery into the harness that can open up and kill circuits.

LukeGirard
02-18-2015, 07:15 PM
Check the positive battery cable from the battery to the starter - it may have disconnected in the insulation. Also try jumping from the battery to the starter and try starting it. There is also fusible links off the battery into the harness that can open up and kill circuits.

I got the truck to star again and then when i closed the hood it wouldn't start again. So its definitely a wire going to the starter. I'll be fixing that and replacing the gas tank with the one from chuck tomorrow. If all goes well I should be able to drive it tomorrow!!!

hondabuilder
02-18-2015, 10:13 PM
I got the truck to star again and then when i closed the hood it wouldn't start again. So its definitely a wire going to the starter. I'll be fixing that and replacing the gas tank with the one from chuck tomorrow. If all goes well I should be able to drive it tomorrow!!!

nice!

hondabuilder
02-18-2015, 10:17 PM
Sorry to read about the fire too......bad stuff.

Glad you got a backup.

Don't intend to hijack the thread.........................but, would love to see some of those vintage bikes.

I've got a few. Might need a few pointers on one of them..........Thanks

PM me

LukeGirard
02-19-2015, 05:38 PM
So I replaced the gas tank! I got it started a few times but the battery is completely dead. I guess our battery charger is broken so I had to barrow a friends. Its on the charger right now and hopefully I can start it soon and keep it running. In the mean time here are some cool pictures of all the neat interior things that came with this truck.

I'm not sure what everything on this switch does? It's different then the one on chuck.
It has a clock! =D
It has a tach even though its an auto =P
I love that the console has storage space! The bottom part used to have a cassette player but it was disconnected. I'm not sure if it works or not.

hondabuilder
02-19-2015, 09:48 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UOxytFS.png

this is what you gotta do to it

ragragtimetime
02-20-2015, 03:14 AM
http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12978&d=1423184549

LukeGirard
02-20-2015, 07:21 AM
http://i.imgur.com/UOxytFS.png

this is what you gotta do to it

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12978&d=1423184549

I like that! I have a goal now! =) Do these trucks have an external fuel pump? and if so where are they located? I can get the truck to start by poring gas into the carb but as soon as that gas is gone it dies =( So its not getting fuel from the tank.

ragragtimetime
02-20-2015, 08:08 AM
or the carburetor accelerator pump (on the carb itself)

LukeGirard
02-20-2015, 08:25 AM
or the carburetor accelerator pump (on the cab itself)
I don't even know what that is. This is my first carbureted engine I've ever worked on.

ragragtimetime
02-20-2015, 09:01 AM
just above the sub EGR

4cylinders
02-20-2015, 09:02 AM
hey, fuel filter at the fuel tank.

LukeGirard
02-20-2015, 09:03 AM
just above the sub EGR
I don't know what that is! I have no idea how a carb works and what parts are on it. It did just catch fire though.......... =( Just the carb and I googled it and fire coming out of the carb means that timing is off?

LukeGirard
02-20-2015, 09:04 AM
hey, fuel filter at the fuel tank.
I replaced that when I replaced the tank.

ragragtimetime
02-20-2015, 09:21 AM
& another filter inside the tank (accessed via drain of tank)

ragragtimetime
02-20-2015, 09:23 AM
is fuel pump pushing gas out (if you disconnect the feed to carb)

LukeGirard
02-20-2015, 09:25 AM
I don't know what hose that is but if the carb caught on fire I would assume it's getting gas?

ragragtimetime
02-20-2015, 09:48 AM
the mechanical pump has 3 outlets: the single (on 1 side of pump) is from tank, the other 2 (on other side of pump) bottom is to carb & top is return to tank.

hondabuilder
02-20-2015, 02:26 PM
he put his GOOD gas tank and pump from the old truck into this one.

Luke, seriously, in the best interest of getting the thing running, have your friend come back over and clean the carb.

he seems like a nice helpful guy, but no one likes to work for free, so be ready to give him something, 40-100 bucks at least for the hour or two hell spend on it. its still WAY cheaper than actually taking it to a shop and he will show you the proper way to clean it, how it works, and if something ever happens in the future you know how to take care of it. its very rare for people to know someone who is that knowledgeable and willing to help, so take advantage of it, but not of him.

you can try to clean the carb yourself but they are tricky and easy to really screw something up.

my guess is that the float is stuck open from old gas and flooding the engine, the fire was from the carb throat where air goes in, thats the only place where it could have combusted, not inside the carb.

LukeGirard
02-24-2015, 12:52 PM
Would I be able to swap the G54B with the G63B easily? Would the transmission bolt up the same on both engines? Both trucks are auto. I haven't been able to get the G54B to run yet and it's been sitting since 2001so I don't know what it needs to get it running again. The G63B ran great and worked fine even after the wiring got burnt. I really just need a running truck asap and I don't have any money sadly.

noahwins
02-24-2015, 01:25 PM
EDIT: Wrong again.

LukeGirard
02-24-2015, 01:27 PM
If they're both auto, they're both wideblock, so the transmission will bolt up. But the accessories and manifolds will be different going from G54B to G63B

That's fine I have both trucks so I'll be able to swap over everything that won't fit. I hope that I can get it done this week that would be great because then I would have a truck to drive again.

pennyman1
02-24-2015, 06:55 PM
on an 83 both are narrow blocks but can still swap one motor for another.

noahwins
02-24-2015, 07:16 PM
A narrow automatic and narrow 2.6??

BradMph
02-25-2015, 12:36 AM
DO you really want to go to a less power motor?

early 80's k cars with the 2.6 had the narrow bell housing also

LukeGirard
02-25-2015, 06:51 AM
For now I don't mind. I just want a running truck. If I pull the 2.6 out then I'll probably tear it down and rebuild it when I have time and money and then through it back in. It sounds like a good plan to me.

noahwins
02-25-2015, 08:29 AM
You know what Luke? I just remembered there's a guy with a complete running wideblock G54B that he's trying to trade away because he doesn't need it. He's way up outside of Sacto, tho. You want his contact information?

LukeGirard
02-25-2015, 08:36 AM
You know what Luke? I just remembered there's a guy with a complete running wideblock G54B that he's trying to trade away because he doesn't need it. He's way up outside of Sacto, tho. You want his contact information?

I PM'd you. And I'm not sure where that is. I've never really been further north than Ventura.

pennyman1
02-25-2015, 05:35 PM
that wide block g54b won't work - he needs a narrow block g54b.

LukeGirard
02-25-2015, 05:39 PM
that wide block g54b won't work - he needs a narrow block g54b.

Darn. If anything hopefully I can swap the engines this weekend. What fluid do I need for the auto transmission? In my BMWs they used ATF. Also if I swap engines what seals so I replace? Rear main seal? Any hoses or things easily replaced with the engine out?

pennyman1
02-25-2015, 05:52 PM
dextronIII ATF - nothing special. There are several versions of Dextron III with different friction modifiers in it, you just want the straight Dex III. The original fluid was Dextron II, but that has not been around for 15 - 20 years.

LukeGirard
02-25-2015, 05:54 PM
Okay. I can get that at Napa yeah?

pennyman1
02-25-2015, 05:56 PM
yes indeed.

LukeGirard
02-25-2015, 05:57 PM
So I don't need to replace any seals?

pennyman1
02-25-2015, 06:08 PM
never hurts to replace the input shaft seal on the tranny if you pull the torque converter out - may need to change the valve cover and rear main seal on the motor as well.

LukeGirard
02-25-2015, 06:12 PM
Okay the engine that I'm swapping in doesn't leak at all. Hopefully I can reuse the main seal.

LukeGirard
02-26-2015, 07:18 PM
So I'm not swapping the engines after all. My friend wants to get the 4x4 running as is. If I got it running and driving would it make a good daily driver or would I be better off selling it and buying something else. If I did sell it how much would it be worth? Same with Chuck the 2wd truck. Would he be worth anything right now? I haven't been able to find a wiring harness for him yet and have taken parts from him to use on this truck.

BradMph
02-27-2015, 01:59 PM
When you buy parts, Think cost effective. Order from RockAuto if you can wait a few days. Napa is expensive unless you can produce a lower priced part on a competitor's website or store. All the Autoparts stores have price beatings, but to have it delivered to your home is even better.

Save money, don't buy Chinese and search online first, if you can wait a little.

LukeGirard
02-27-2015, 02:03 PM
When you buy parts, Think cost effective. Order from RockAuto if you can wait a few days. Napa is expensive unless you can produce a lower priced part on a competitor's website or store. All the Autoparts stores have price beatings, but to have it delivered to your home is even better.

Save money, don't buy Chinese and search online first, if you can wait a little.

I really just need something to drive asap. All of my family's vehicles are broken and we're all sharing my mom mini van. So I really need one of the trucks running asap so I have something to drive.

LukeGirard
03-05-2015, 05:26 PM
So I found a wiring harness for chuck at a junkyard! But it's from an 85 so it has a completely different ecu that won't plug in so I wasted my money =( my other truck needs a new starter and then it should be good to go. Hopefully I can replace that tomorrow. In the repair manual it said jack up the car and remove it from under the car but the driveshaft is kind of in the way and I can't really reach it. Any tips on removing the starter?

pennyman1
03-05-2015, 06:45 PM
Does the 83 have an ecu? If so, rewire the 83 ecu plug into the 85 harness, or swap the carb from the 85 onto your motor. Or change the carb to a weber, then you don't need the ecu at all. If the truck still runs after the fire, how bad is the harness? Use the 85 harness to replace the damaged wiring.

LukeGirard
03-05-2015, 06:55 PM
Does the 83 have an ecu? If so, rewire the 83 ecu plug into the 85 harness, or swap the carb from the 85 onto your motor. Or change the carb to a weber, then you don't need the ecu at all. If the truck still runs after the fire, how bad is the harness? Use the 85 harness to replace the damaged wiring.
Engine still ran after the fire. And I tried repairing the burnt and melted wiring but it didn't work. I got the wiring harness at a pick a part so I don't have the rest of the truck sadly. And the ecu plugs into a completely separate harness! So I'm replacing the starter on the 4x4 tomorrow and see if it starts and stays running. I'm ready to part out chuck. Parts he needs to run again - Starter, Distributor, Coil Pack, wiring harness. He also needs a dash. But other than that the engine ran just fine before the fire.

pennyman1
03-05-2015, 07:03 PM
found this on ebay - listing says 1980, but when you look at the listing, it is an 83 truck: http://www.ebay.com/itm/79-80-DODGE-D50-5545036/331439739537?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D28797%26meid%3D0459ed15b68b45a490e87549736d f8db%26pid%3D100034%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D2518 20321304

LukeGirard
03-05-2015, 07:13 PM
found this on ebay - listing says 1980, but when you look at the listing, it is an 83 truck: http://www.ebay.com/itm/79-80-DODGE-D50-5545036/331439739537?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D28797%26meid%3D0459ed15b68b45a490e87549736d f8db%26pid%3D100034%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D2518 20321304
I saw that seller and hes got a lot of Ram 50 stuff but no wiring harness. I haven't messaged him about it because I wanted to find one locally. I'm just ready to part out chuck.

noahwins
03-05-2015, 07:25 PM
Engine still ran after the fire.

MR50: Unkillable™

LukeGirard
03-05-2015, 07:27 PM
MR50: Unkillable™
Everything worked except the turn signals after the fire lol I should have just left the wiring alone until I could find a complete 83 not 85 harness. =(

pennyman1
03-06-2015, 07:31 AM
the truck in the posting looked intact under the hood. There seems to be a lot of our trucks in yards in wash state for some reason...

BradMph
03-06-2015, 01:48 PM
Come to the Evergreen State for your Mitsubishi Truck Parts. I will give you a tour of the biggest wrecking yards in the nation. :grin:

Actually, here is a image of part of our wrecking yard system which is owned by a great family that insist on pricing that are at recycle prices of the material only.

(click image to expand)

Their sister yard is a couple miles away from us.

LukeGirard
03-06-2015, 01:50 PM
Come to the Evergreen State for your Mitsubishi Truck Parts. I will give you a tour of the biggest wrecking yards in the nation. :grin:

Actually, here is a image of part of our wrecking yard system which is owned by a great family that insist on pricing that are at recycle prices of the material only.

(click image to expand)

Their sister yard is a couple miles away from us.

That would be nice if I didn't live in SoCal lol. So I need a new starter for the 4x4 and I'm selling chuck to my friend who's going to make his own wiring harness and make a race truck.

LukeGirard
03-07-2015, 09:48 AM
So I sold chuck to a friend for $200. He's going to strip him and build him into a race truck. Full cage welded doors and fun stuff like that. So I need a new starter for the 4x4. Do I have to get a Mitsubishi starter or can I get one off a Toyota or something fit?

hondabuilder
03-08-2015, 08:27 AM
dude what? i needed parts off it!!! lol what the heck

LukeGirard
03-08-2015, 10:14 AM
dude what? i needed parts off it!!! lol what the heck

I still have my other parts truck in Hesperia. It has the front Springs and the window is on the 4x4 truck. The only thing I don't have is the Fender but I know a junkyard that has a ram 50 in it.

LukeGirard
03-09-2015, 01:37 PM
I never want to replace the stater ever again.....

LukeGirard
03-11-2015, 04:00 PM
So I had to remove the distributor and the rotor turned as I was pulling it out?! Do I have to time the engine now? Or do I need to set the rotor to match the engine? I have no clue I've never timed an engine before.

hondabuilder
03-11-2015, 04:55 PM
So I had to remove the distributor and the rotor turned as I was pulling it out?! Do I have to time the engine now? Or do I need to set the rotor to match the engine? I have no clue I've never timed an engine before.

my D50 threw the timing belt today, we had to tow it home. I just tore apart everything and rebuilt all the timing and ignition timing, had to set it all again too.

its dead simple, man. much easier than you think it would be.

hondabuilder
03-11-2015, 05:05 PM
all you gotta do is pull the top pastic cover off the timing belt, use that nut to rotate the motor so the marks line up, then pop the distributer in, it has its own marks to line up as well. if the cam sprocket is at the timing mark, then it will start right up after u slide the distributor in the hole and line it up as well.

camoit
03-11-2015, 11:45 PM
That is one of the reasons we tell everyone to change it if they just picked up a truck. You are like the 83,765 member to have that happen to them. Welcome to the broken belt club..

LukeGirard
03-12-2015, 12:45 AM
all you gotta do is pull the top pastic cover off the timing belt, use that nut to rotate the motor so the marks line up, then pop the distributer in, it has its own marks to line up as well. if the cam sprocket is at the timing mark, then it will start right up after u slide the distributor in the hole and line it up as well.
I didn't rotate the motor when I took the distributor out. All that moved was the rotor on the end of it and I put it back in the same position it was mounted in. I still not sure if I need to time it or not.

LukeGirard
03-12-2015, 05:36 PM
So I replaced the starter with a brand new one and got a new battery. Starter just clicks once and won't start. The negative battery cable got really hot. Should I replace the battery cables?

BradMph
03-12-2015, 11:11 PM
sounds like you wired something wrong. Battery cables usually don't cause that problem. Wire heat is a good chance that something is reversed.

Did you get a 3 wire starter or a 2 wire starter. Since you have an automatic, a 3 wire starter I think is required for the inhibitor switch so the vehicle will not start in anything but Park and sometimes with the brakes held down also. Anyway, trace your steps and check the manual carefully on your install. You don't want fire.

If the engine is at #1 TDC compression stroke, Line up the distributor markings. Look at the distributor gear, one tooth has a dot marked on it. Then match that dot with the distributor housing mark. The dizzy should now be pointed at #1. Hold the rotor and dizzy housing and insert the dizzy into block making sure the rotor does not turn without the housing turning with it. hold everything solid and find the spot that the dizzy can drop in and the rotor still remains pointed at the #1 plug on the cap.

LukeGirard
03-13-2015, 08:13 AM
It's a 3 wire starter. And I have it hooked up exactly the same as the other starter was. I have no clue why it won't start then. Is the wire not making good contact?

LukeGirard
03-13-2015, 09:55 AM
So I replaced the ground cable to the battery and cleaned the positive cable and put a new connector on it. I also checked the connections on the starter and there clean and connected correctly. What else could be wrong? Could the engine be seized?

LukeGirard
03-13-2015, 04:22 PM
So I'm really done with this truck. I'm ready to sell it and buy one that's running. Any suggestions as to why it won't start?

noahwins
03-13-2015, 10:45 PM
Get that cherry Plymouth Arrow for sale in Arizona on eBay Pennyman linked to.

LukeGirard
03-14-2015, 08:58 AM
So I listed my 4x4 on ebay andy some guy in texas said he would drive to cali and buy it for $1,100 with it not running! If I accept that then I can buy another running Mighty Max for the same price

hondabuilder
03-14-2015, 11:06 PM
fuckin A, take that deal!! I've seen running mitsus for sale around so cal for under 1k.

tell ya what, if you come up with that 1100, hit me up, ill help you find a truck and drive you there to inspect it and take it home

LukeGirard
03-14-2015, 11:09 PM
fuckin A, take that deal!! I've seen running mitsus for sale around so cal for under 1k.

tell ya what, if you come up with that 1100, hit me up, ill help you find a truck and drive you there to inspect it and take it home

I've been thinking about it all day and I want something running so I'm ready to sell this truck.

LukeGirard
03-18-2015, 08:08 PM
So the truck hasn't sold yet. Does anybody have any idea as to why it won't start with a new starter, battery, battery cables, and new gas tank/fuel filter?

BradMph
03-19-2015, 02:28 AM
Maybe it's muffler bearings?

Need more info concerning the problem. You getting 12 volts out the coil during start. These trucks are pretty basic and the 3 things, Fuel, Electric, or mechanical are the things to eliminate.

What I would like to know is where are the wires (3 wire starter wires) going to when they leave the starter. Check Dizzy wiring also.

LukeGirard
03-19-2015, 06:31 AM
There are only two wires connected to the starter. The big cable that goes directly to the battery and then the ignition cable. And when I try to start it it click like the battery is dead but I got a brand new battery and had it tested so I know the battery isn't the problem. I don't have the right sized bolt or breaker bar to try and turn the engine over by hand so I don't know if the engines seized or not.

BradMph
03-19-2015, 09:50 AM
There are only two wires connected to the starter. The big cable that goes directly to the battery and then the ignition cable. And when I try to start it it click like the battery is dead but I got a brand new battery and had it tested so I know the battery isn't the problem. I don't have the right sized bolt or breaker bar to try and turn the engine over by hand so I don't know if the engines seized or not.

Pull the plugs and spin it by hand. You may just be fighting the compression and stuff. No plugs means no extra force holding the engine from turning.
You should have a third wire from ignition to starter, The black an yellow one. See if it is taped up or hanging close by and not connected to anything. It usually runs with the wire group that is attached to the engine block drivers side. just under the head. Those are the wires going to the starter. The black and yello wire there enables full voltage is hitting the starter, coil, plugs right at the time your cranking it over. Soon as it starts, it drops voltage to the running voltage.

LukeGirard
03-19-2015, 09:55 AM
I have the black with a yellow stripe connected but there is no solid yellow wire. Is that what it's not starting?

LukeGirard
03-29-2015, 10:25 PM
It's been awhile thought I should update. The eBay sale fell through but I'm glad it did. I also got a full time job at a pizza restaurant! So with my first paycheck I plan on buying a cheep DD and then with my second paycheck I plan on rebuilding or finding a new engine for the 4x4! I'm not sure which is cheaper at the moment but I will go the cheapest route. I may have to replace the transmission too or have it rebuilt also. I won't have any updates until my first paycheck at the end of April!