PDA

View Full Version : To Replace, or not to replace?

donvier
01-25-2015, 09:48 AM
So I can't decide if this is a dumb question or not. Is there a decent way to tell approximate age of a timing belt?

The engine on this bad boy has supposedly been "rebuilt" within the last 5k miles. I have no idea what the definition of rebuilt was in that instance as the guy I bought it from wasn't the one that rebuilt it. In theory, that means the belt shouldn't be more than 5k old.
I have the front torn down to where I could replace the timing belts, as I was planning to do it out of principle being a new owner and what not. The belt I ordered ended up being the wrong belt, so now that I need to get another one I'm starting to ponder if I'm just making more work for myself. The current one looks pretty solid. Any recommendations appreciated.

pennyman1
01-25-2015, 02:26 PM
when in doubt, change it out - keep the old one for a spare.

donvier
01-26-2015, 03:12 AM
I appreciate it. I knew the answer, think I was probably just lookin for an easy way out :shakehead:

coyotefiveoh
01-26-2015, 04:22 PM
it would be silly not to change it IMO. easy to do and you already have it apart. plus its pretty inexpensive part that if not changed could cause an expensive repar! :)

donvier
01-26-2015, 05:17 PM
Yeah I think my apprehension was largely because the timing marks everywhere don't line up properly. The engine was running perfectly fine so I don't think the timing could be that far off. With the crank at the tdc Mark, the pump, camshaft, and balance shaft timing marks are quite a bit off.

I have the proper belts on order so I'll be doing the smarter thing and swap it out. Dumb as it may sound I've never done timing belts on an interference engine... Adds a bit of nervousness to the equation lol.