PDA

View Full Version : Engine Swap - down and dirty

bobhenrie
12-05-2014, 07:58 AM
OKay, so I've read about a few different swaps from Buick V-6's which had a kit at one time, Chevy and Ford V-6's and even a few V-8's. My question is; Which of all the know engine swaps require the least amount of "surgery", i.e. different mounts, wiring harnesses, transmissions/mounts etc.? I'm not looking for a crapload of power here, too old for that, mainly looking for fuel injection and the least amount of modification, a little extra power is always a plus. How bout it? Anyone have direct experience that can give me a little more than a high level fly-by? Thanks for reading.

pennyman1
12-05-2014, 10:14 AM
you could swap the 2.6 you have with a starquest 2.6 - be sure to get a manual for manual or auto for auto - the block bolt patterns are different. It is a direct bolt in , as the starquest motors are a truck block with a turbo. The forum has several members that have done the swap. The other swap I have thought about was the new Pentastar 3.5/3.6 v6 with an 8 spd auto - still a bit pricy - 2500 and up, but 285+ hp and similar torque, would be a powerful and efficient combo.

noahwins
12-05-2014, 01:28 PM
318 is popular, no?

pennyman1
12-05-2014, 03:10 PM
yes and with a 904 behind will fit without too much trouble.

bobhenrie
12-07-2014, 05:30 PM
No interest in V8's but thanks for the reply's. I'm not familiar with the starkest you referred to, who makes it and what's the availability?

noahwins
12-07-2014, 05:39 PM
Starquest is the nickname for the Mitsubishi Starion and (badge engineered) Dodge Conquest sport coupes of the 1980s. They used the same G54B block as in your truck, except as a turbo application. So you can take the intake and exhaust turbo bits from a Starquest and bolt them on, along with ECU, wiring, fuel tank, etc.

What about a turbo diesel? Fuel injected, powerful, upgradable and dead simple wiring. 4D55 and 4D56 would be direct fits.

bobhenrie
12-07-2014, 07:17 PM
i have considered diesel, in fact, since I already have two other diesels I would prefer it but finding one is a bit of a stretch from what I've found. Wouldn't have one under your bed would you?

noahwins
12-07-2014, 07:30 PM
No, but Pennyman found two swap candidates in the For Sale section and a guy is trying to put a group buy together for 4D56 crate engines right now. Username plh I think.