PDA

View Full Version : Look What Fits For $40........... Kinda....

MIHIFISI
11-24-2014, 11:51 AM
I saw this sitting at the Junk Yard on a Chevy/GMC Canyon. I eyeballed at and thought to myself. Self, That looks damn close to fitting. Took it up front and $40 later I was the proud owner of a part that looked like it might fit.
Sooo, The story started when I got it out to the truck and laid it on the bed of my MMMM. It fit at the back perfect but was wide at the front by about 1".
First I thought my bed was tweaked. I measured my bed, its even at all four corners. So, Head and ass scratching ensued. Come to find out the Canyon's beds are an inch wider at the cab than they are at the tailgate!!! WTF?!?!?!
Sooo, To the shop I go. I take the cover apart at all seams. I cut down the panels that were wide, now they match. I am having to move the latches inward to keep all the hardware functional. Since the cover is all aluminum it is pretty light for its overall size.
This particular cover, I am able to open at the cab or at the tailgate as well as fold in half!! Another great feature, It also has "Pull Tabs" on the cover so when it is folded up on itself it stays put so one person can carry it!!

The cover adds just enough weight to plant the rear a little better and knock out some of the "bounce" of the bed being empty!!

It fits, NOW!!

thehive
11-24-2014, 12:21 PM
This!!!! This is why I LOVE junk yard shopping and making things fit that arn't suppose to. Just you wait to see what I got brewing...I love your ingenuity!!

MIHIFISI
11-24-2014, 01:20 PM
Thehive, You've seen my seat install first hand, I "found" another lil trick I am working on in my spare time!!!!

MIHIFISI
11-24-2014, 01:21 PM
AND Thank You for the compliment!!

pennyman1
11-26-2014, 06:55 PM
2nd gen s-10 and 93 up rangers are also a good source for 2nd gen trucks - ran a short bed ranger tonneau on my 88 Ram 50 sportcab - it was about 3/4 inch longer, but the same width.

RoadRanger
12-02-2014, 05:23 PM
that's the same cover I have for my 2000 ranger, great find! gotta love being able to stand or sit on your tonneau cover.

2nd gen s-10 and 93 up rangers are also a good source for 2nd gen trucks - ran a short bed ranger tonneau on my 88 Ram 50 sportcab - it was about 3/4 inch longer, but the same width.

^good to know, means I've got plenty of bed accessories I should be able to swap with the ram when I get it running.