PDA

View Full Version : Painted My Exhaust Manifold Shield This Week

Slagathor
11-21-2014, 05:29 PM
I decided that I would finally get around to painting my exhaust manifold's shield this weekend/week. Only took about a day or so.

Here is a pic of the shield I started with. The old paint wasn't the correct kind, not nearly high enough heat threshold. Also, the bolts were crappy ones from Home Depot.

I almost solely used my angle grinder with a wire brush attachment to strip the old paint and oil residue off. I gave it a good cleaning with oil and grease remover and a scotchbrite pad.

I used 3 layers of high heat spray paint in white. The can says from 1300-2000 degrees. If that doesn't work, I don't know what will. Also picked up some high heat bolts and washers from Ace, the helpful place. They look nice against the white I think.

So what do yall think? I am very pleased with the end result. I wanted to put my last name much larger and in a cool font, but it proved to be much more difficult than I anticipated. So I gave up and just did it real small in Sharpie. If it messes over time, I still have the can of paint. Ill just strip it and go again. No biggie.

BradMph
11-21-2014, 09:50 PM
White not going to get too dirty for ya. Nice stainless bolts and cover is much better then 2 toned rust. :) That ground strap can be bolted to the head if you like and then to firewall for grounding.

Your Name? Lost me on that one!

noahwins
11-22-2014, 08:37 AM
I love the way white ceramic coating and high heat white paint will yellow around the edges to that nice parchment color as it gets seasoned. Looks awesome.

Home Depot fasteners are Grade Z garbage slag junk. I HATE Home Depot with a passion.

Slagathor
11-22-2014, 09:38 AM
Which is exactly why I went with the ceramic white with those bolts. I think it will only get cooler over time.

And yeah to hell with Home Depot. I'm about done with their crap.

McDodgers
06-15-2015, 06:50 PM
This looks awesome. good job in painting this manifold

maddmax
06-16-2015, 05:04 AM
Looks great! But for how long?