PDA

View Full Version : want to stiffen things up...

wheelsaz08
09-21-2014, 11:05 PM
im not to sure how the previous owner of my truck went about lowering it. whether it was lowering springs and block or shackle or drop spindles. it rides like complete crap... bouncy as hell and cornering is a terrible. the front end isnt too bad, but i was wondering what i could do to tighten up truck all around? ive done some searching on a rear swaybar and will hopefully be rounding up parts for it soon but what can i do to take the "bounce" out?

heres a pic of my trucks stance. if anyone has an idea of how it was lowered please fire away. thanks

wheelsaz08
09-21-2014, 11:06 PM
not sure why the interior pic showed up... lol how do you edit posts?

ragragtimetime
09-22-2014, 03:05 AM
take some undercarriage pics. what condition are the shocks in?....a "gas pressure charged" shock should help eliminate "bounce". my 2 cents: i love the kyb...performance, reliability, price...way to go.:thumbup: have had them on the 1978 2wd convertible since 1984. no luck with edelbrock, tokico, or rancho (monroe/tenneco). bilstein is great but pricey. gabriel is good for the $ & has been my most recent purchase for the 1983 4wd (purchased thru amazon & rockauto) the shocks replaced originals which had zero resistance in either direction...never seen ones that dead.

geezer101
09-22-2014, 03:13 AM
If you donate then you get - superpowers! (well, better than average powers - at least you'll be able to edit your own posts) My guess to how your truck has been lowered? - the 'black and decker' method. Chopped springs... Have a look under there and see if you can tell what's been done to it (you can tell if a springs been cut up and blocks are fitted up back). Also do a stationary bounce test by putting your knee onto the end of a bumper and dropping your weight onto and off it. If it's bouncing then the shocks might be dead too (you might also hear the 'hiss of death' from a dead shocker) Getting decent lowered springs will help the front but remember this is a light commercial vehicle and is designed to carry a load - having it loaded up will alter the suspension characteristics.

wheelsaz08
09-22-2014, 05:51 PM
Im helping my lil brother put a clutch in his rx7 right now but ill try and get some pics tonight or tomorrow. After I poated this I ordered the energy suspension bushings for the frimnt end and the rear leafs. The shocks dont feel "terribly" soft but the tryck came with "toxic shock" stickers on it. Know nothing of the brand or if thats really whats on it