PDA

View Full Version : Riding Mowers, Tractors and Old Engines

royster
09-11-2014, 07:47 PM
There are several members who are interested in old tractors and antique engines: this thread gives them a chance to post pictures and talk shop. As well, several of us have riding mowers...I keep about 5 acres mowed...and there are many interesting aspects of these urban legends. An MTD I bought years ago was rebuilt by a guy who raced riding mowers. Yes: there is a competition for speeding riding mowers. Anyway, that motor was a helluva thumper, and I still have it. I bought a basket-package from him, and still have most of that stuff. I want to resurrect the '98 MTD some day: it has a head gasket issue.

Currently I mow with an MTD 38" 13.5HP mower, bought it new two years ago. The basic design hasn's changed in nearly 30 years.

I will NEVER own a Craftsman rider again, though it was my first.

Rymar Garage
09-12-2014, 08:08 AM
not bad concept for a thread. I have a husqvarna 54in with 24hp Kawasaki 0-turn. had it almost 3 years now and has been a great mower. ill throw some pics up later

royster
09-12-2014, 09:46 AM
Look forward to seeing them.

I have an old Wheelhorse I'll try to get pictures of. It ran fine, but the shifter is dysfunctional...this is the model where they put the gear shift on the steering column...a neat idea, but impractical in practice due to linkage binding.

I'd love to find the pictures of my '98 MTD after I tried to put dual exhaust on it. It's funny and yet impressive, but dual exhaust was worthless for the engine, and for reducing sound. The only quiet mower I've ever heard was a John Deere, and I'd love to get ahold of one of those mufflers.

Go-carts could be included on this thread...sort of what D-50's are :)

ragragtimetime
09-12-2014, 04:57 PM
111941119511196111972007 kubota B26

mitchi
09-13-2014, 06:21 PM
I'm in.....I had an MTD since 1995, and never changed the oil or tune up, when I finally did, it blew.

Still have that mower, just needs an engine.

Bought a new John Deere from Lowes......nice.

A co worker had a Saber, made by John Deere, he was gonna throw it in the dump. I rescued it, new blades, tune up, runs perfect, cuts great......has a big hole in the deck. Still nice mower.

I'll post pics when I get to work in the morning.

royster
09-15-2014, 04:55 AM
Wheelhorse, left, "Crazy Horse" right...both waiting for "some day" resurrection. Crazy Horse has the racing engine in it.

Crazy Horse has bumpers...not so much for protection, though I've hit a few trees...but for lifting by hand when that unexpected ditch makes its presence known.

crvtec90
09-17-2014, 11:18 AM
Theres a tranny shop down the street from me. They have an old cast iron mini tractor/mower ( cant remember exactly) that they use to tow non running vehicles into and out of the shop. Makes me wanna get one to move stuff around.

royster
09-17-2014, 04:21 PM
This little temptation sits just outside of Woodstock, Virginia. Looks like it would just keep going, even if the driver fell off. Very determined-looking.
11269 11270

kswildcat
09-24-2014, 07:43 PM
This is my 1941 case sc tractor. I acquired this pretty much just because I always thought it would be cool to own an old tactor. It basically is used to drag a friends drive, drive in parades and if they ever get the tired iron club going again I will join that. One day I will restore it. Basically just needs a couple gaskets, very lil work to get in paint. And I do need to have the starter rebuilt (turns over real slow). Once started it runs like a champ, doesnt smoke and drives like it supposed to.

kswildcat
09-24-2014, 07:59 PM
Royster. There use to be a lawn mower racing club here. Unfortunatly it was poorly ran. Seemed to me like it was ok for the higher ups to rub/wreck others but if someone just got a little close to them they were furious. Rules were gray depending who you were. Was funny watching some the guys that had less engine/mower out run the guys with deep pockets that thought the more they spent the better they were, had lots of money but couldnt drive. lol... Some of my friends raced (the guys that had less mower but could drive) and were always trying to get me to build a mower. Didnt like the way the club was ran so I never did.

geezer101
09-25-2014, 02:54 AM
How serious can you get about racing ride on mowers? When a few stupid men start to take over by throwing money and bad attitude (and a couple of swollen egos) into what should be a fun social event, the whole thing turns sour for everyone...

kswildcat
09-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Exactly. It took me 1 time to watch them race to see how things were. Later on I went to watch them race with a friend and was talking to the guys brother that ran the club. There was an out of town guy there that was racing a super mod (actually looked like a mower) and entered in the outlaw class (basically a stretched out go cart.. about the only rule to be classified a mower was using about 3ft of the frame). The guy on the super mod could race and was leading all the outlaws. The guy I was talking to kept bragging up his brothers cart and how fast it was.. He could not get around the guy on the super mod, last lap he porpously slid into him (pretty much t-boned him) in the last turn to get around him. Thats the way they rolled.
Ive seen it everywere were guys with deep pockets think the more money you throw at their car, mower or whatever think they will be unbeatable.. I use to race R/C gas buggy. I raced guys that had more money in their engine then I had in my entire buggy. Granted they all had atleast 5 yrs experience and I was new. I couldnt out run them (except on the straight) but when I first started I was getting lapped every lap pretty much (slow is fast in r/c racing) and when I quit racing I was on the lead lap. R/C racing was a blast but due to a job change I no longer had time to run on a regular basis.. Met some of the coolest guys racing r/c.. They didnt care I was running no-name buggy and equipment.. I was racing and thats all they cared about..

charli_85
02-04-2015, 03:14 AM
I really enjoyed your thread and like your all ideas. I am searching for some latest model of lawn mower and my friend suggests me to buy Lawn Mower Sales Mariet (http://www.aapowersales.com/honda-lawn-mowers-s/1818.htm)ta from a dealer as they also give some exciting offers.

royster
12-16-2015, 06:48 AM
Here's a really cool animation of the RMS Titanic's steam eninges...wonderful detail and explanations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptDFqY-0Do8

ragragtimetime
12-17-2015, 03:25 AM
recently purchased a zero turn...with a 708cc v-twin its more like a go-cart on steroids wheelie machine http://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/images/ThumbGenerator/Thumb.aspx?img=http://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/images/catalogs/9163/products/detail/3a41a59d-e436-4eab-8bd1-7a9669994917.jpg&mh=378&mw=596&f=1&fz=1

sabrinaal08
02-01-2019, 12:00 AM
Look forward to seeing them.

I have an old Wheelhorse I'll try to get pictures of. It ran fine, but the shifter is dysfunctional mutuelles TNS (http://www.comparateur-mutuelle-assurance-sante.com/mutuelle-travailleur-independant)...this is the model where they put the gear shift on the steering column...a neat idea, but impractical in practice due to linkage binding.

I'd love to find the pictures of my '98 MTD after I tried to put dual exhaust on it. It's funny and yet impressive, but dual exhaust was worthless for the engine, and for reducing sound. The only quiet mower I've ever heard was a John Deere, and I'd love to get ahold of one of those mufflers.

Go-carts could be included on this thread...sort of what D-50's are :)

Well, I too have this bad experience, but after that I changed the exhaust into something more discreet.

Giovanni89
02-01-2019, 07:04 AM
I will have to take some pictures when I get home :grin:

2nup350
02-01-2019, 04:14 PM
21722 My restored '66 Sears 10 hp. actually the second one I've restored.

royster
02-01-2019, 05:46 PM
Beautiful piece o'work, 2nup!

Giovanni89
02-01-2019, 06:12 PM
My 80 something montgomery ward 10hp. Saved it from the scrap heap this summer. The front end was gone. I made new spindles for it. The nylon bushings that hold the spindles were upgraded. I brazed a fender washer to a hex nut with the same size hex as the nylon bushings. bored it out in the lathe to accept a bronze bearing. Not shown, before tack welding the fender washers to the front axle, I swaged a piece of electrical conduit to have hex ends. It was placed between the two kingpin bushings and tapped with a grease fitting. Once the washers were welded to the axle, I reamed the kingpin bushings and installed the spindles. Steering is tighter than a ducks ass in a rainstorm, and the bronze kingpin bushings are easily replaceable.
The stack muffler was made from 3/4" electrical conduit and a piece of 1-3/4 exhaust pipe. I welded on an extension with an outward turn, not shown. The muffler is braced to two bolts on the engine. The triangulated mount will keep the vibration from cracking the head or stripping the exhaust flange bolts.
It also got a new carb and battery. I replaced most of the wiring. Uses a regular tractor ignition switch. A normally closed relay is powered by the ignition side of the switch and grounds the magneto when shut off.
I only took limited photos, and she is hibernating for the winter. Why are my photos showing up sideways when I attach them?

Giovanni89
02-01-2019, 06:15 PM
21722 My restored '66 Sears 10 hp. actually the second one I've restored.
I think I just peed a little

geezer101
02-01-2019, 09:17 PM
Well that is a beautiful thing, ain't it :grin:

royster
02-02-2019, 06:05 AM
My 80 something montgomery ward 10hp.

It's always impressive to see someone fabricate their own parts...and they work :) Nice job, Giovanni!

Is that an MTD in disguise? Some of the features look it. The exhaust is inspiring...if it ever thaws out here in Virginia, I may have to try something like that.

Giovanni89
02-02-2019, 06:39 AM
It's always impressive to see someone fabricate their own parts...and they work :) Nice job, Giovanni!

Is that an MTD in disguise? Some of the features look it. The exhaust is inspiring...if it ever thaws out here in Virginia, I may have to try something like that.
I believe so. If memory serves me correctly, it's an 83. I believe the earlier Montgomery Wards were made by White. I found one more picture with the finished exhaust. Pulling all the appliances out of the house for scrap. About 1000lbs behind it.

xboxrox
02-07-2019, 05:55 PM
You men are mechanical repair masters & metal wizards, terrific restorations & handiwork, really..! In a photo above, Vermont seems to have a lot of snow, yikes..! I remember Montgomery Wards stores; bought my first socket set n' wrenches there... I don't have any cool yard machines anymore but I still have my -POWR-KRAFT- hand hacksaw... The blue handle might be bakelite, I painted it red n' it's one of the few (before divorce) tools I still have to remind me of my childhood...

Giovanni89
02-07-2019, 09:21 PM
Double open end wrenches just look right don't they? I'll have to get a picture soon of my case 530. 196? bought it to pull the house down. It's beat to hell, but it runs!

xboxrox
02-08-2019, 02:27 PM
My pop had a Case tractor; it's in a California museum now... Post the photo if can, thanks...

Giovanni89
02-10-2019, 08:24 PM
2178721788The oval automotive muffler is not correct, but my god did it make it quieter. I replaced the split in 3 places exhaust manifold, and with the round tractor muffler it really wasn't any quieter! Most case 530CK were diesel, but this one is gasoline fueled. So I own two, 2.6 liter 4 cylinder carbureted vehicles :grin:

MrPaco
02-11-2019, 05:06 AM
That thing runs on a 2.6 L4 gas engine?!
How's the mileage? :)

Giovanni89
02-11-2019, 06:15 AM
it makes half the horsepower so I'm positive it gets twice the mileage :lmao:Oh yeah, it also weighs about 9000 pounds. So that will bring it down to 2/3 the mileage.
I'd put a weber on it, but its an updraft intake. It does however have the same alternator as my truck. Came with a busted 1 wire alternator. I wired up a Delco 10si 3 wire alternator and stuck on a few led headlights. The hand throttle is broken. I have the parts to fix it, but not sure if it can be done with the loader on the tractor. Current hand throttle is a stick wedged under the foot throttle.
Power steering allegedly works but the ram leaks. I've never filled it. The steering is terrifyingly loose. Like, you're not gonna feel safe traveling down the shoulder of the road at more than 5mph loose. Ask me how I know

xboxrox
02-12-2019, 10:48 PM
Wow..! Your Case 530 tractor is not a toy; it can do pretty much anything with those attachments, nice... No wonder you can tear down a house..! I've seen construction sites tearing down old buildings and often there is a guy spraying some water to help minimize dust or (asbestos..?) Maybe in the long run a gasoline powered tractor is best for home use..? Not every gas station has the more expensive diesel fuel & a diesel engine has more maintenance... Not as much smoke & smell as well... Nice machine Bro...

Giovanni89
02-13-2019, 06:35 PM
It's a real workhorse. The 530CK is the "construction king". The loader/backhoe is a semi permanent attachment. It can be removed if you had to split the tractor, but it's not designed to be taken on or off. No pto or 3 point hitch. Intended to stay as a backhoe forever.
House was tested before asbestos before my demolition permit was issued. Waiting on a survey before I can actually knock it down. Will probably be the spring now.
While it has proven handy for moving some snow, the old Case will be sold when I'm done with my construction. I only have 1/2 acre, and it's just too big to be useful. Here is a shot of my original snow mover. A 1973 Allis Chalmers Tracker8 snowthrower. I did the old rubber flaps on the impeller trick. It throws snow like you read about. Cast iron 3 speed sliding gear transmission with a lockable differential. The auger worm drive is also a very large cast iron cased unit. It is built like the proverbial tank. I've had it for 5 years or so. I doubt I'll ever get rid of it.
For size reference, the front wheels on the Case are 16" light truck tires

xboxrox
02-14-2019, 02:42 PM
OMG, my little apartment was 68F this morning and it's 70F now but I am still wearing a jacket, long pants and socks, I feel cold..! Giovanni your photo is just too COOL (Brrrr:)

For sure keep that snow blower; doubt any new products would even come close to giving you the same satisfaction of what it can do & have the same durability... Why is a survey needed, if it's not too confidential..?

COLD Topic: I was browsing https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucindx/ GSA Auctions "Real Estate" last night; if a person loves cold weather & rural living then Uncle Sam has great deals... They also have super deals for "Trailers, Tractors, Manufactured Housing" newer 2018 models from FEMA stockpiles all around the country...

Stay Warm & Happy Valentine's Day my friend :slap:

Giovanni89
02-14-2019, 06:00 PM
OMG, my little apartment was 68F this morning and it's 70F now but I am still wearing a jacket, long pants and socks, I feel cold..! Giovanni your photo is just too COOL (Brrrr:)

For sure keep that snow blower; doubt any new products would even come close to giving you the same satisfaction of what it can do & have the same durability... Why is a survey needed, if it's not too confidential..?

COLD Topic: I was browsing https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucindx/ GSA Auctions "Real Estate" last night; if a person loves cold weather & rural living then Uncle Sam has great deals... They also have super deals for "Trailers, Tractors, Manufactured Housing" newer 2018 models from FEMA stockpiles all around the country...

Stay Warm & Happy Valentine's Day my friend :slap:

The survey is needed because the existing structure does not meet the current setback requirements from the property line. Because the house was destroyed "as an act of God" I can rebuild in like kind without the need for a zoning variance. However, I need to have a survey done as there is none on file for the house, and I need to stay within the original footprint. Expanding past the footprint would require a variance.
I was going to just build an apartment in the second floor of my gambrel roofed garage, but the footing does not extend below the frost line. No occupy-able unit allowed up there. One of the main reasons I moved to New Hampshire is the Live Free or Die spirit, whether it be firearms or taxes. And while it's way better than many states, you can't totally escape bureaucracy and the fact that you never truly "own" your land.

xboxrox
02-16-2019, 02:28 PM
you can't totally escape bureaucracy and the fact that you never truly "own" your land.

Ain't Life Grand..!

MrPaco
02-17-2019, 02:08 PM
2178721788The oval automotive muffler is not correct, but my god did it make it quieter. I replaced the split in 3 places exhaust manifold, and with the round tractor muffler it really wasn't any quieter! Most case 530CK were diesel, but this one is gasoline fueled. So I own two, 2.6 liter 4 cylinder carbureted vehicles :grin:

Hey Giovanni, check this out. A red '89 parts truck, not far from you (it is a 4x4 though). Sounds like the guy wants it gone, maybe you can make a good offer to take it off his hands...
https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/dunbarton-1989-dodge-d50/6815202455.html

Giovanni89
02-17-2019, 02:32 PM
Edit, It's sold already :(
Thanks for that. I usually search every few weeks. Sent the guy a text. The price is right! Plus I would gain many parts for the eventual manual trans swap I want to do.
Hey Giovanni, check this out. A red '89 parts truck, not far from you (it is a 4x4 though). Sounds like the guy wants it gone, maybe you can make a good offer to take it off his hands...
https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/dunbarton-1989-dodge-d50/6815202455.html

MrPaco
02-17-2019, 02:40 PM

Ahhhh, too bad.

MrPaco
03-07-2019, 05:47 AM
Thanks for that. I usually search every few weeks. Sent the guy a text. The price is right! Plus I would gain many parts for the eventual manual trans swap I want to do.

Here's an '90 and a '95 (maybe too new?), in CT. This guy wants these gone, he just reduced the price, I think he was asking double a few days ago. I bet he would take less than what he's asking now.
https://providence.craigslist.org/cto/d/west-greenwich-mitsubishi-mighty-max/6833250810.html