PDA

View Full Version : beautiful disaster

dazednconfused
07-01-2011, 04:42 AM
ok well last week we had a bad storm and it knocked a limb out of the tree. it landed in my bed and put a hole in my soft tonneau towards the tail. i was bummed.

well as i was driving to work today and thought of this. turn the frame of it around. put the back to the front and cut the hole big enough for a toolbox.

ive been wanting a toolbox for the truck but i didnt want to get rid of the tonneau. now with the idea of a beautiful disaster. when i get a toolbox for it ill post pics.

anyone know of good quality, low cost diamond plate toolboxs and where to get them?

Acuta73
07-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Honestly? First place I'd look is garage sales..but that's just me, I guess. They seem to be common enough, though finding one that would fit might be a bit tougher.

Bummer bout the tonneau. = (

blindeyed
07-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Not to be a stickler, but your green font is really hard to read on the Light Theme.

For the tool boxes, I would suggest looking on craigslist. They're a dime a dozen here, usually for around $50-$75. So when you turn it around though, does that mean it will open up backwards too? If so, I would be sure to have a very secure latching system so it doesn't lift up when driving. I've seen that happen to another guy, was not very pretty at all.

dazednconfused
07-01-2011, 09:26 PM
no just the soft tonneau will be backwards. the hole is by the tailgate. so ill put the hole by the cab. cut the rest out to fit a toolbox. the toolbox will sit normal on top of the tonneau rails. ill use threaded stock cut it to size, locking nuts, metal washers, and foam washers so i dont hear it clanking around when i get on a rough road.

dazednconfused
07-01-2011, 09:28 PM
blindeyed did you have to cut into your grill to put your bumper lights on.

blindeyed
07-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Oh ok, I see now. Looked at your album, looks like you have one of those button down style tonneau covers, am I correct? I don't see you having any issues if that's the case, should look pretty cool too. I was thinking you had a solid style cover like mine that lifts open.

For the grill yeah, I used a dremel to cut bowl shaped recessions into the grill so the fog lights sit flush inside it.

camoit
07-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Try theses guys. They are always sending me there catalog.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_auto-suv-truck-accessories+truck-boxes

l.k.
07-08-2011, 06:24 PM
man that sucks but not a bad idea on killing 2 birds with one stone...if you were closer i could have you one made for a great price. i work at a marina and we have a guy who does all the canvas' on the boats..he does conv. tops on cars, tonneaus', anything.....hes a beast.....im going to get him to make me one for my max after i build me a frame for the top...using all boat accessories..

dazednconfused
11-28-2012, 11:33 PM
well my idea didnt work out and i just scrapped that frame. i thought about building a cage for a canvas topper idea i had like you see on some scout pickups.