PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the perfect swap 4x4 4g63

Sk88flip
08-14-2014, 01:53 PM
Hello!

I am new the the MMD5 community, but I have been messing with DSMs for about 12 years now. I have done just about every type of 4g6# build (2.0, 2.4, 2.1 destroked/10.5:1), all for eclipse/talon/laser platforms. A few years back I moved to Denver and have decided it's time to build a light truck for some off roading and winter adventure. I have done some looking around on projectzerogs page and searched through a few threads on this forum and I have a pretty good idea of whats required. I would consider my skill level medium to advanced in terms of fabrication/enginebuilding/wiring, so I am comfortable taking on this project.

I plan on taking my time with this, no need for the truck to be done right away. Because time is on my side I would like to find the "perfect" truck for the swap, based on what I want out of it.

What I'm looking for:

-youngest model avalible that meets my critiria 94-96?
-4x4 manual trans
-extended cab, macrocab?
-narrow block, I plan on using a 6bolt 4g36 long block

I do not know what years fit this discription. Some of the information I have come across said there isnt a 4x4 narrow block, some says there is but only in certain years. Also, the macrocab is a must, and I have been having some trouble tracking down what years the US got the macrocab. So, if you know what year/trim I should be looking for please let me know. Also, I am thinking about using a cyclone 8 runner intake manifold to pick up a bit of lowend grunt, has anyone done this? fitment issues?

thanks in advance!

-mike

pennyman1
08-15-2014, 06:33 PM
You are looking for a vehicle that doesn't exist in the years you want. the narrow block motors in the 4wd trucks were from 83 - 86 and are single cab 1st gen trucks with the g63b 2.0 motors. If you want the 94 - 96 macro / spacecab truck, you would either have to find a narrowblock tranny and transfer case combo, or get the narrow block tranny and mate it to the transfer case you have from a wide block tranny. you will also need to modify the oil pan to clear the front diff, along with the usual mods to put a fwd motor in a truck. none of this is impossible, and has been done before - sounds like a good plan, especially at the altitude you are at. not sure what the cyclone 8 runner manifold is - we need pics. Welcome to the forum.

Sk88flip
08-17-2014, 07:06 PM
here is a vid explaining the cyclone manifold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTeHMaNO5to

Thanks for the response! Do you know if it would be possible to simply switch bell housings? For example, if I were to get a 94-96 macro cab in 4x4 with a manual transmission with a wide block 4g64, could I take the bell housing from an earlier 83-86 narrow block truck and bolt it to the 94-96 transmission?

Also, regarding the oil pan, will the wide block 4g64 oil pan from the MM fit on the narrow block 4g63?

Any insight you have is much appreciated! thanks!

geezer101
08-18-2014, 03:11 AM
Oh, now I remember these cyclone intakes. They aren't very common and a lot of guys avoid them due to the risk of the internal butterfly shafts leaking air when the bushes wear out. They do work well though. As far as I know the sumps aren't compatible.

Sk88flip
08-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Any thoughts on the older narrow bell housing fitting the newer wide transmission?

pennyman1
08-19-2014, 06:12 PM
bellhousings are part of the tranny and are not removeable. As an alternative(but not an easy to find one) you could find the 87-88 mazda B2600 tranny/transfer case combo - it has a removeable bell housing - then get a narrow bell housing from www.hotrodcoffeeshop.com to bolt up to the tranny. Look on that site for other info on the 4g63 swaps - there may be info on oil pan interchanges as well.

DNK70
08-20-2014, 07:51 PM
I'm new to these motors, so I don't know much about wide vs. narrow block except that a 4G54 is a narrow block. That being said, the torque converter housing on the KM148 auto transmissions is removable. Depending on how much you want to fab, you could start with that as your bellhousing (I'm not sure what diameter clutch would fit). Then just figure out the depth of the input shaft you want, cut the housing down, cut out a 1/2 piece of aluminum plate to fit the remaining space, find the center for your input shaft, machine that out, drill holes for your transmission mounting bolt pattern, TIG that in place piece in place -- BAM -- custom narrow block bellhousing.

geezer101
08-20-2014, 11:46 PM
I'm not sure of how this goes with you guys in the US but as far as I know the 4G54 is both wide and narrow block optioned. The 4G54's fitted with an auto trans were narrow block. Mitsubishi Motors Australia did something nutty and used the 4G54 2.6 litre engine in a FWD and these were all narrow block engines. It's at this point where everything starts to get confusing with flywheels, starter motors and clutch kits. No doubt you've seen the fun that some members have run into with the starter motor fiasco. If you are in a spot when it comes to bell housings and adapters there is one guy you can look to for guidance - Bill Hincher. He should be able to tell you straight up what does and doesn't work, and custom fabs transmission adapters.

DNK70
08-21-2014, 06:26 AM
Yeah. Now I realize I knew even less than I thought I did about wide vs. narrow block. We had 4G54s with automatics in 87-89 Raiders here. I'm a little confused because you said that 83-86 are narrow block, but all auto trans are narrow block. The 1988 Factory Service Manual also doesn't show any difference between the blocks for auto and manual trans. Does that mean I have a wide block? Was was hoping to eventually bolt in a 4D55T. Do you know if the diesels were narrow or wide block? You're right, it is all a little confusing. Is Bill on the Forum or do you have his contact info?

geezer101
08-21-2014, 03:17 PM
The 4G63/G63B engines built mid 80's are narrow block. The best way to figure out if you have narrow or wide is a tape measure across the the 2 transmission mounting bolts opposite each other at their furthest point. I don't know if Bill is a member here (sort of doubt it) but if you google his name you will find him no problemo. He has a lot of experience with transmission adapters and knows his way around Mitsubishi gear in a way few others have ventured.

DNK70
08-21-2014, 09:24 PM
So here's what else I've learned in my web searches. You are correct measure between the two transmission mounting bolts - if it's 13.25 inches (on a 4G54) it's a wide block. All RWD 2.6l 4G54 engines sold in the U.S. were wide block. The narrow block 4G54 didn't come around here until the early 80's and in the U.S were used in FWD cars, not RWD. 2.3 diesels are also wide block. So the 2.3 diesel should bolt up to any transmission used on a wide block/RWD 4G54. Once again that is U.S. only. Things are different down under.

DNK70
08-21-2014, 09:37 PM
I just realized I sort of hijacked this thread and probably confused the issue in the process. The OP is working with a 4G63 narrow block so the 4G54 info is chaff. Sorry. The germane point is that it looks like none of the transmissions that were used behind RWD 4G54s in the U.S. will bolt up to a narrow block without some mods.

BradMph
08-22-2014, 05:57 AM
Take this home and study it, Test on Friday.

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6536&d=1378693583

geezer101
08-22-2014, 04:47 PM
Oooh, once again you come up with the stats Brad. But I don't see my 1985 non Jet/non hydraulic 8V L200/MM narrow block in there... :scratchheadyellow: I can't get data for it here in Australia, even from Mitsubishi directly - unless I pull the rear step and bar from it and record the chassis number stamped under the right hand corner of the tray.

BradMph
08-22-2014, 07:05 PM
wha? uh oh!. These maybe USA only, not sure. I snagged this from a site a while back when I had my doner truck and found out it was a wide block. Though I used everything on that 2nd gen I could and then cellophane the rest for later. It was a strange thing when the crane grabbed the truck by the head and just squeezed it and then picked it up and placed it into the box maker. lol. I'm sure it went to China to make some cheap crap to send back to us.

DNK70
08-22-2014, 08:40 PM
Thanks Brad. That is money. So, if I'm reading the codes right my '88 Raider with auto trans is a wideblock. I don't see the deisels listed. I read somewhere that the 4D55 is wideblock. Can you confirm that?

Sk88flip
08-25-2014, 10:07 AM
Lots of good information here! :)) So, over the weekend I came across a youtube video of a guy with his 86 4x4 MM that he put a 4g63 in. It was also a macrocab! I think this is what I am looking for. Can anyone verify that the 86 macrocab came with a narrow 4x4 transmission? I dont know if he did a transmission swap with the engine. If I have to go with an older model to check all of my boxes thats ok with me.

heres the vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BX9lwMcoH0

pennyman1
08-25-2014, 05:39 PM
there were no 1st gen macrocab MMs, they were 86 2nd gen. But the only way that 86 would be a narrow 4x4 tranny is if the motor is a g63b or an auto tranny. The 86 2nd gen MM / Ram 50s are an odd animal, as they seem to have a mix of 1st and 2nd gen parts.

Sk88flip
08-26-2014, 05:14 PM
Was the g63b uncommon in the 2nd gen? he actually says its an 88 in the video, my mistake.

pennyman1
08-27-2014, 06:25 PM
no that was the standard motor in the base truck

plh
05-30-2017, 01:54 PM
pulling up a thread from the past. Would an '86 MM with a 2.0l 4g63 automatic be a narrow block and a KM148 (AW372)?

DroppedMitsu
05-30-2017, 04:34 PM
auto g63bs were supposed to be wide block, only real way to know for sure is to measure the distance between the two bottom bell housing bolts.

Traz20
05-30-2017, 06:18 PM
Has anyone swapped a S10 motor and transmission/transfer case in a 91 D50 4x4 sport supercab it has the 3.0 v6 in it right now. I'm looking into any and all options but mine is also 4x4