PDA

View Full Version : HORRIBLE ping...

Acuta73
06-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Not sure what the deal is, just got my beast out for its first long run this week. 100 miles of Interstate. After about 90 minutes of driving I started to get some crazy bad ping. This afternoon I fired it back up and it was still pinging cold. Not sure wth is going on. Running 9 degrees BTDC, plugs are clean and gapped. Not happy with the mixture after the head has gone through its break-in?

Thinking about throwing a tank of Premium in it just to see, only things I can think of are mixture and octane. My wallet is already crying at the prospect.

pennyman1
06-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Try adding some sta-bil marine ethanol treatment to the gas - 1 oz per 10 gallons. It negates the effects of the crap ethanol gas they sell now and will up your gas milage as well. I have been running it in all of my vehicles; my 92 prelude quieted down once I started using it and gained 2-3 mpg. Available at any part store chain - its the blue green one. Also good for any boat, cycle, atv etc that may sit for a time between uses - gas good for 1 year

Acuta73
06-27-2011, 06:23 AM
Will give it a try. She's not tuned as well as I'd like, but this is still well beyond the norm.

Will let you know how it works.

Acuta73
07-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Threw in half a tank of premium just to see on octane. Did help a bit, but not enough. Will try the sta-bil tomorrow.

Think I have a buggered rocker, too. Keep getting an intermittent lash adjuster sticking. Makes the engine roar like hell from the valve not doing its thing. Need to get off my ass and get the rollers... Just hope it ain't a burnt valve.