PDA

View Full Version : What kind of shocks

MaxinOut
07-12-2014, 09:27 PM
I'm going to finally break down and get shocks for my 90, she's beyond due for em (honestly I'm willing to bet it still has the originals. Ill see when I change them) but my question is what kind of shocks should I get. I'm looking for more along the lines of performance shocks. To be honest i don't care for a "smooth" ride. I like to feel the bumps in the road. Any input is appeeciated. I was considering the belltech ones but if I recall correctly someone on the board said their kyb shocks were better (I don't recall who or why). Plus the belltechs are a bit spendy (but if they are worth it ill get them)

BradMph
07-13-2014, 12:22 AM
Used these on my truck, though it's a first gen. Front have been on truck now since 87 and after removing one to check if I needed new ones, I didn't.
I replaced the rear stocks with KYB's. There are probably many other available shocks and preferences, I just like the KYB for long lasting and they are also world class with a great guarantee. They help with the truck being lowered and not hitting the stoppers.

KYB
KG5434 REAR GAS ADJUST SHOCKS
20.39 EXTENDED / 12.91 COMPRESSED / 7.68 STROKE / E1 - UPPER & LOWER MOUNTS

KYB
KG5433 FRONT GAS ADJUST SHOCKS
13.78 EXTENDED / 9.06 COMPRESSED / 4.72 STROKE / S1 - UPPER & E3 (56.6X77X0) MOUNT KIT#C0272

ragragtimetime
07-13-2014, 03:54 AM
my 2 cents: i love the kyb also!...performance, reliability, price...way to go.:thumbup: have had them on the 1978 2wd convertible since 1984. no luck with edelbrock, tokico, or rancho (monroe/tenneco). bilstein is great but pricey. gabriel is good for the $ & has been my most recent purchase for the 1983 4wd (purchased thru amazon & rockauto) the shocks replaced originals which had zero resistance in either direction...never seen ones that dead.

Law Dog
07-13-2014, 12:45 PM
I added a extra leaf to my rear set and had to measure the travel distance to get shocks to fit, the first set I bought came up short after adding a extra spring.

leftfield6
07-14-2014, 09:34 AM
When you pull your original shocks off, you will likely see that they are KYBs!! I swapped mine out last week, and all 4 original shocks were pulled off. Every one of them was marked "Mitsubishi" in large font, and then "KYB" along with a part number inscribed below.

I went with some Monroe Gas-Matic LT shocks. I would have preferred KYBs, but they had the Monroes in stock, so i went with those. Some of the bounciness is gone, and it is for sure more solid feeling, but in the end, it still rides like a truck!!