PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Love?

Jeb
06-28-2014, 08:00 PM
So I am finally able to start buying parts for the MM. HOORAY!!!! And I knew I was on borrowed time with the radiator. Well times up and the reaper came and claimed it in this wonderful heat. But motor is fine.

Anywho my question is: Is there a larger radiator that can be put in rather than the factory one? I didn't know if i can use a 1G DSM radiator, or how good they are. Or if I can borrow one from another car.

It does have the mech. fan and shroud. So if I change the radiator I am guessing I'll have to change them too??

Any help is appreciated.

originalowner
06-28-2014, 08:54 PM
Any "factory replacement" style radiator will allow you to retain the mech fan, clutch, and shroud.

When my original radiator flew south I ended up getting an aftermarket Modine. Everything bolted up fine no probs, but it is not as efficient as the factory unit. In 90+ degree temps running the A/C (which are quite common from June through Sept. in NC) it is barely adequate. Just barely, but I've had that one now for 15 years easy with no overheating.

Sorry I can't add more, but I would like a more efficient radiator myself, one that cools as well as the original that bolts right in. I'll just have to monitor this thread.

noahwins
06-28-2014, 11:05 PM
Upgrade to all aluminum. OE fitment.

http://www.shepherdautoparts.com/all_aluminum_radiator/mitsubishi/mighty_max.html

For extra insurance, find a fan shroud off a Monty in the junkyard or switch to an electric fan.

LSR Mike
06-29-2014, 05:40 AM
or have this custom built :-)

http://mmeierle.com/Radiator%202.JPG

http://mmeierle.com/Rad%20installed%20D.JPG

Law Dog
06-29-2014, 05:54 AM
I just put a HD one from Rockauto on mine $160.00 and it works fine, it sits a little closer to the fan blade but just needed a little tweaking and works fine.

Jeb
06-29-2014, 01:29 PM
LSR Mike: Are you running a turbo on the SOHC head? What type of power are you getting out of that? How much was that radiator? What specs did you give them when you had it built?

originalowner
06-29-2014, 07:34 PM
Upgrade to all aluminum. OE fitment.

http://www.shepherdautoparts.com/all_aluminum_radiator/mitsubishi/mighty_max.html

For extra insurance, find a fan shroud off a Monty in the junkyard or switch to an electric fan.

Noahwins thank you for that link. That link is exactly what I was hoping to find in this thread. That radiator looks like a direct bolt-in and will allow the use of the original fan shroud. The factory replacement Modine I bought years ago is not leaking it's just brass and I would like to run a 'schoche' cooler in the SE summer heat. Thank you. :thumbup:

LSR Mike
06-30-2014, 06:01 AM
LSR Mike: Are you running a turbo on the SOHC head? What type of power are you getting out of that? How much was that radiator? What specs did you give them when you had it built?

yes, I am running a Turbo on a SOHC, about 450~500, 30Lbs of boost. For the radiator I gave them the dimensions of the original and spec's triple core. PM and I can send a dimensioned drawing.

for the build www.mmeierle.com

now back to the original topic, sorry to Hijack the thread.

Jeb
06-30-2014, 03:36 PM
HAHAHA no worries, well none to me LSR. I appreciate any info I can receive about anything. I was in debate on switching from a SOHC to a DOHC but you just gave me enough reason to keep it.

And I will pm you for the specs. Much appreciated.

camoit
06-30-2014, 04:07 PM
or have this custom built :-)

LOL,,, you are the only one crazy enough to drive a death trap, beer can, over the maximum speed built into the truck of 90 MPH. At that speed in one of these you know you are flirting with death.

Jeb
07-01-2014, 06:34 AM
LOL,,, you are the only one crazy enough to drive a death trap, beer can, over the maximum speed built into the truck of 90 MPH. At that speed in one of these you know you are flirting with death.

I was always told that if your not flirting with death, your not having fun! LOL

LSR Mike
07-02-2014, 09:18 AM
Figured out how to post the radiator drawing...

LSR Mike
07-03-2014, 10:53 AM

Not death, Immortality in the Record Books!

Jeb
07-05-2014, 08:36 AM
Figured out how to post the radiator drawing...

How thick/depth did you tell them? Or did you just give them how many rows you wanted and you went from there?

LSR Mike
07-07-2014, 05:36 AM
went triple core, depth didn't matter because the fan was coming off and the electric was going in.

Jeb
07-07-2014, 07:00 AM
That makes sense. Thanks mike.

revvedUpToTheMax
07-15-2014, 01:25 AM
Might be a retarded question but do them all aluminum rads listed work in the 4x4 trucks? Just want to make sure before I spend 120 bucks. Haha

LSR Mike
07-17-2014, 05:38 AM
Yes...

BradMph
07-17-2014, 09:16 PM
I think Mike watches his truck break speed records. I always see him getting smaller in the rear view mirrors on the videos when the truck makes a run. :P

LSR Mike
07-18-2014, 06:06 AM
My nephew who we originally bought the truck for was driving in those video's...i make him run in a different class so he doesn't break my records.

MaxinOut
08-16-2014, 11:36 PM
I just received mine yesterday (the Shepard aluminum one) and I was wondering, does anywhere offer silicone radiator hoses for my 4g64 or will i have to get some made?

thehive
08-17-2014, 09:01 AM
My nephew who we originally bought the truck for was driving in those video's...i make him run in a different class so he doesn't break my records.

and your truck is for sale and your retiring right? won't be too long before those records go to someone else if you just quit

camoit
08-17-2014, 02:11 PM
If he does break the record at least it's in the family.