PDA

View Full Version : random idle issues

91MMY59
06-20-2014, 04:59 PM
1989 MM with a 2.0l carb'd engine. 130k 1 owner miles. truck starts right up,runs great has plenty of power...except about once every 3 weeks I will get high idle when I start and drive. after about 2 days,it goes back to normal.
it will pull itself about 40mph on the hiway with no gas applied when it decides it is haunted.:))
any ideas to look for will be appreciated.thanks

Law Dog
06-21-2014, 03:14 PM
Check and see if the throttle is not sticking maybe add a better return spring to it! Seen that happen a lot on the stock and my Weber both.

ragragtimetime
06-21-2014, 05:45 PM
check for worn linkage, smooth throttle operation, worn/loose vacuum hose connections (issues change/occur @ various times as engine warms), check choke for fully open & fully closed positions (may stick causing other linkage to not operate), sub egr also will cause linkage movement issue (& is very easy to clean...just don't drop any of those tiny pieces). i use gumout spray "carb + choke cleaner" (& would not hesitate on using most of the can) as it will clean & not leave oil residue that may accumulate dirt & cause it to be cleaned again (i have a long gravel driveway). i you feel the need for lubricant i recommend a "dry graphite lube spray" instead of petroleum base. absolutely try the inexpensive fixes first then throw your wallet at it. best of luck!