PDA

View Full Version : 85 turbo diesel rebuild

northan
06-02-2014, 11:18 AM
Blew a head gasket and trying to figure out some small details for this motor while redoing the top end. I looked through all the stickies but seems like I can't find some definite answers...

I'm knew to the site and finding it very useful!

Thanks in advance y'all!

-How many foot pounds do the head bolts need to be?

-Is Delo 400 the best oil I should use?

-Is it possible to buy injectors instead of having them rebuilt? How common are they?

I'm sure more questions will pop up but thanks for all the help!!!

noahwins
06-02-2014, 12:16 PM
I'm sure someone has the answer but there are two Ram 50 diesel service manuals for sale on eBay right now...

northan
06-02-2014, 09:30 PM
I found the answer through a mechanic friend... 83 ft. Lbs max cold...

Now my question is timing. does anyone know where the first cylinder needs to be? Ignition on TDC? Exhaust???

noahwins
06-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Mikewarme and 4d55 Performance are the resident diesel experts here...maybe they'll chime in if you ping them.

northan
06-30-2014, 05:33 PM
I've replaced the head from a guy in Florida. Also bought new injectors. Now I'm stuck in Paducah, KY with what I think to be is a fuel or air issue. The motor starts fine, has a slight bob on the Tack but stays close to 750 rpms. Once I start going down the road I lose power after getting up to 2,000 rpms. but if I let the throttle off for a few seconds and the power comes back. BUT then dies again. I usually have to change gears in order to keep it alive. THEN when I park the vehicle it idles fine. I changed the fuel filter and it ran fine for 200 miles until the problem started up again. I just put a new filter on (thinking that this whole issue was related to bad fuel or algae for that 200 miles) and the problem continues. In fact I think it's worse. Any ideas out there? I'm stranded and gotta figure this one out! Thanks y'all!

pennyman1
07-02-2014, 06:33 PM
sounds like a fuel pump issue - either not fully bled out or out of time. PM Mike Warme or email him at Mikewarme@yahoo.com