PDA

View Full Version : center bearing backwards. will it hurt?

minnisp
05-25-2014, 08:56 PM
i did a drive shaft overhaul this weekend. new u-joints, almost new center bearing from my 84 mm.

i went to put the shaft back in and had to pull the rubber suspension in the center bearing about 1/4 " toward the rear to bolt it to the diff flange.

oops!

will it screw up anything like this? should i pull the shaft again spin the bearing around?

freaking mosquitoes biting and termites swarming had me rushing the work..:shrug:

ragragtimetime
05-26-2014, 05:00 AM
http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=694263&ukey_make=1062&ukey_model=15508&modelYear=1984&ukey_category=20306&ukey_driveLine=7789 i didn't know it would allow backwards assembly...the 1/4" gap you speak of sounds normal (assuming the bed was empty, if fully loaded you would have had to push the shaft forward to bolt up). if "mating marks" on shaft/yokes are correct & u-joints are installed using same thickness clips (to center u-joints) you should be good...if not all your mirrors will vibrate at high speed...then you will have to revisit the termites & mosquitos

minnisp
05-27-2014, 06:22 PM
hey ragtime,

thanks for the reply. glad theres no backwards!

its running fine no vibrations.

p