PDA

View Full Version : 84 PowerRam 50 Diesel build, and questions!

CumminsChris
05-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Hi guys, I recently discovered this forum, when I became interested in (and then purchased) an 84 PowerRam Diesel 4x4. It was the only one I could find for sale... well anywhere, and with where I live a high MPG 4x4 pickup is the BEST possible daily driver for me, so I jumped on it.

The engine runs, but is very hard to start, and blows white smoke like crazy, and runs rough under acceleration. My understanding is that it's because the previous owner has the injection timing waaaay too advanced. It has the TD55 in it with a TD56 head (or so I was told), and a TC05 turbo. Seems like there is some blowby, but I can't check the compression yet because I don't have the hardware to do so on a diesel. It already has an aftermarket intake, and a 3" turbo back exhaust that is decent.

So here's the bad part, and what I am asking for advice with the transmission only has 4th gear, because the counter shaft sheered off flush with the bearing in the rear of the case. So. How hard (and expensive) is it going to be to get one? Is there anything else I need to look at that may have been damaged when this happened? Is there anything I should do to the tranny or anything else while it is out of the way?

Someday, I hope to get some 31" or 33" tires under it, and will have to lift it a bit to fit those. A friend of mine suggested just doing a cab body lift with hockey pucks, it sounds like a surprisingly good idea... or maybe he is crazy! lol I don't know which. Oh yea, speaking of tires reminded me; it came with crappy peeling chrome wheels, can I wire brush that chrome off and paint them black easily? That would look WORLDS better than peeling rusty chrome.

I really want to intercool it, as I have heard that is the best thing to do to these for mileage/power/longevity right out of the box. What is involved in that? Where do you even put the intercooler lol!

I also want to get bucket seats in it, and a good sound system etc., everything to make it comfy to spend lots of time in as a daily driver. Also, speaking of comfy, it came with A/C, but the compressor and condenser have been removed, all the parts in the cab are still there and still work, is it practical to even consider putting it back it? Sure would love to have it.

Thanks for any help you can give, and I look forward to sharing with you how this build goes!

Chris

CumminsChris
05-08-2014, 05:29 PM
Update/question: I spent a couple hours under the truck today trying to get the transmission out. I have everything loose, but it won't come back far enough to come free of the engine and lower down. Is there a trick to it? Do you have to raise the front of the engine or something? The protrusions on the bell housing where the bolts go through are hiring the firewall as I try and pull it back.

I've given up for the day, anybody have an idea on how it's supposed to be done for when I hit it again tomorrow? Thanks!