PDA

View Full Version : machine shop scratched up my cylinder head???

minnisp
04-22-2014, 07:02 PM

WTF?? I brought my head to the machine shop to get the broken stud removed and they removed it fine. I look at the head surface and it's all scratched up by sandpaper. Why would this be something a machine shop would do? am i missing something? i thought i was supposed to avoid scratching up the surface!

ragragtimetime
04-23-2014, 03:13 AM
It is called "resurface"....& will ensure that the gasket is seated correctly and compressed evenly. An even compression on the seal will help assure that it won't leak. But you are correct with your description.

4doorciv
04-23-2014, 04:06 AM
If you are unsure of the work, you could always borrow a friends quality straight edge and check for warp. Surface is supposed to be a mirror like finish if using a mls gasket, and not required for using a basic felpro gasket.

Law Dog
04-23-2014, 06:05 AM
I'll take a resurface job any day with all the head problems an aluminum head can have!

DroppedMitsu
04-23-2014, 07:18 AM
I'm guessing they dont have an expensive cnc machine or milling machine that is set up to do a resurface on heads, so they used the ol' fasioned flat table/piece of glass and sandpaper method. As long as its flat/straight it's all right.

minnisp
04-23-2014, 09:09 AM
so i picked up my gasket at Mitsubishi and stopped by and showed them the gasket talked to them about it. He told me the head was flat as a pancake and he didn't think it was worth doing anything but a light sanding to remove burrs. OK, so i overreacted. He says it's good to go and sounds like you guys are not too worried so i'm going ahead with it.

Thanks!

mitchi
04-23-2014, 09:21 AM
Kewl............................good luck. I still have to take mine to a machine shop to have checked.

I've pulled the cam and valves out of mine.

Gonna have it magnafluxed and checked for warpage.

Hopefully mines ok too.

pennyman1
04-23-2014, 05:42 PM
can't magnaflux an aluminum head they are die checked - that is for iron heads.

mitchi
04-24-2014, 03:25 AM
oooops....well at least checked for cracks?????............thanks for the clarification.....