PDA

View Full Version : sunroof

DSMFAG
04-14-2014, 06:16 PM
So has anyone on here put a simple pop up sunroof in our trucks? I just ordered it and I'm pretty excited. Its going in a 95 MM btw.

noahwins
04-14-2014, 06:29 PM
Got pics of it?

ragragtimetime
04-14-2014, 06:52 PM
yes on my 1986 by the "stretch forming corp" with the removable shade (mainly wanted to stop the light from the rollbars entering cab causing self inflicted rear view mirror blinding)...don't accidentally cut your sun visor like i did (glad it was the passenger side)...pics of pop-up removable sunroof in my 86 johnbaker album.

BradMph
04-14-2014, 09:29 PM
Be careful cutting roof metal, it's so thin and can be dented easily by leaning on it as your cutting or afterwards. Remove the headliner if you can before the cut.

Merrill
04-15-2014, 12:25 AM
Just grab one from a 1G DSM. They fit everything. The 2G Talon is powered and is also a drop in.

I was going to add one to mine, but changed my mind on it. It wouldnt fit right with my roll cage.

DSMFAG
04-15-2014, 05:31 AM
You mean pics of the truck or the kit?

DSMFAG
04-15-2014, 05:33 AM
I don't think a 1g DSM one is big enough. The one I ordered is 15x33. It'll be almost the whole roof lol

DSMFAG
04-15-2014, 05:50 AM
http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/popupkits.htm

DSMFAG
04-15-2014, 05:51 AM
Its the 1735 model in the link.

noahwins
04-15-2014, 08:47 AM
Nice that it's real glass and not Plexi. Should look fresh.

bobbyk
04-15-2014, 10:03 AM
now you got me thinking...i want a sunroof!

asmyser
04-15-2014, 01:01 PM
Definitely have to post up some pictures of the install and finished product, looks like a breeze to put in, and should be a nice addition.

DSMFAG
04-15-2014, 01:30 PM
I think im going to do a write up on it. Just because when I was searching I couldn't find one. That way if anyone else does it they'll have some guidelines.

Fordubishi
04-15-2014, 05:49 PM
I got the same sun roof except in the 20"x32" was super easy to install. Fined where you want it to sit, find center, lay out template that comes with it, trace with a sharpe (red, black or silver depending on body color) Drill a hole in the roof somewhere inside the line(step drill works good for this), Use a jigsaw with a fine tooth metal saw (Plasma,Tin Snips, die grinder) and carefully cut out the center section. Put the top ring onto the truck then lift up slightly and use window urathain not the crap tape they give you, put the bottom ring on loosely with the screws, let the top ring down into the urathain then start tightening the screws from the center out in an X pattern. Once the Urathain is dry can go around the edge and cut the excess off. Inside you put the screw strip on and you're done.

If you have a roof liner after you use the template on the roof drill a small hole in each corner, from inside use a straight edge and cut the liner between the holes. The roof liner gets trapped between the lower ring and the upper ring top keep it in place.

This is what mine looks like looking up

DSMFAG
04-15-2014, 09:05 PM
Thats the kinda reply I was hoping for! Do you ever have any problems with leaks? How's the airflow with the windows down? Im tired of the feeling like I'm in a wind tunnel with the windows down. Lok

Fordubishi
04-15-2014, 10:22 PM
No leaks and been in a few real bad down pores. that's why I said urathane not the butal strip that comes with the kit. I drive with the windows down all the time and the roof open (3-60 A/C... 3 windows open doing 60 mph) the air flows down the front window and in front of the dash keeping the cab cool even on a hot day (OK Camoit the days its not snowing here :grin:) The wind is reduced with the roof open

camoit
04-16-2014, 09:37 PM
What you want is the rear window Pennyman1 has. It's a bending rear window. Extremely rare for these trucks.

camoit
04-16-2014, 09:39 PM
No leaks and been in a few real bad down pores. that's why I said urathane not the butal strip that comes with the kit. I drive with the windows down all the time and the roof open (3-60 A/C... 3 windows open doing 60 mph) the air flows down the front window and in front of the dash keeping the cab cool even on a hot day (OK Camoit the days its not snowing here :grin:) The wind is reduced with the roof open
Yea but the heat is always on. You live in a frozen waste land for god sake. We don't call it the great white north just for fun. lol

DSMFAG
04-19-2014, 06:34 AM
OK guys so I know I said I was gonna do a writeup.... but there's really no need to. The kit is EXTREMELY simple. All you really need is common sense. Cut your hole where you want it And drop in the sunroof. That's pretty much it. The hole doesn't even need to be perfect because it seals from the top of the roof, not the edges of the hole. If you guys ever have any questions feel free to ask. Pictures to come of I can figure out how to upload them lol

bobbyk
04-20-2014, 11:12 AM
I really wanna see a picture of the one you got. I'm thinking about ordering one. I believe that there is info on uploading pictures in the FAQ section.

DSMFAG
04-21-2014, 03:12 PM
I really wanna see a picture of the one you got. I'm thinking about ordering one. I believe that there is info on uploading pictures in the FAQ section.

Heres some pictures of the finished product. Sorry if the pictures arent the best. Im no photographer.

asmyser
04-21-2014, 05:40 PM
very slick, looking good

DSMFAG
04-21-2014, 06:05 PM
The best part of it all is the way the air moves through my truck now. Keeps my legs nice and cool now :) And it no longer feels like I'm in a wind tunnel with the window down Lol. The only problem is when you remove the glass completely, there's a terrible "helicopter" noise. So if anyone does this plan to only pop the glass up. Because the noise is unbareable when removed.

bobbyk
04-22-2014, 06:46 PM
Thanks man. Looks real good.

mitchi
04-23-2014, 03:42 AM
Putting a sunroof wind deflector on will eliminate that helicopter sound, or at least help minimize it.

4doorciv
04-23-2014, 04:13 AM
What about a honda civic coupe one? It pops up and rolls back to open? This seems easier then a 4runner rear window mod.