PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Emissions and Weber Carb

haruman
03-18-2014, 12:16 PM
Will my 1980 Arrow pass emissions in AZ with a Weber carb? Is the 32/36 more emissions friendly than the 38?

Uneek98
03-18-2014, 05:01 PM
It should pass. You may need to adjust carb to pass and then adjust back to perfect operation.

originalowner
03-19-2014, 10:19 AM
Will my 1980 Arrow pass emissions in AZ with a Weber carb? Is the 32/36 more emissions friendly than the 38?

It should, but it depends on AZ law. In NC, up until a few years ago, the components were required to be on the vehicle, but were not required to be operational. As if that makes any sense. *scratches head*

Most state laws are pretty similar- adjust the carb so it runs the best and you should be fine. Or find a shop that specializes in carbs and 'old school'- hard to find because they are getting fewer and far between. Tailpipe sniffers are awfully hard to find nowadays.

That said the trucks themselves are quite honest. And make adjustments in SMALL increments (1/8 turn on the mixture screw) Then drive it a day before you adjust it again.

It will tell you what it likes.

When you are done, there will be no "lean popping" noises from the tailpipe and a trace of black smoke at idle.

P.S.- the 38 is way too large on anything except the most highly modified engines.

Uneek98
03-19-2014, 10:59 AM
I've ran a few webers thru az emissions. I had to lean them out to pass and then re-adjust to drive

originalowner
03-20-2014, 12:59 PM
I've ran a few webers thru az emissions. I had to lean them out to pass and then re-adjust to drive

I'm thankful that NC is 'emissions exempt' for vehicles over 25 years old. Annual inspections are 'safety only'.

But if I ever have to re-install the cat- 4 bolts and budda bing budda bang badda boom and it's back on. ;)

haruman
03-24-2014, 09:55 AM
Got the 32/36, it's going on this week and then on to emissions testing so I can get the thing tagged and on the road. Thanks for the help, guys. I'll get it running well, then lean it out a tad for emissions.