PDA

View Full Version : new here but have ALT issue

Crash
03-12-2014, 03:45 PM
Ikeep frying alternators on my 88 Ram 50, I upgraded to a starion alternator after the stock alt fried, but these keep frying (goin on the 3rd one now) I upgraded the gauge of the wire to 4 gauge from the alt to the battery and upgraded my ground wire. What else can cause this issue. Im at a loss at this point

Crash
03-12-2014, 03:49 PM
forgot to add the truck has air ride, and has a small system 10in sub and 600 watt amp. I check all that wiring and cant find a problem there

camoit
03-13-2014, 07:59 PM
Is the battery shorting internally? A stock alternator is only 37 AMP. To burn them up somthing needs to be putting a large draw on them for a long time.
What are the voltages at idle, at 1200 RPM. Also what is the voltage at the alternator VS the battery. Then check the voltage after running for 7 minutes. The voltage should come up. As the amp draw goes down the voltage comes up. And vise versa.

Crash
03-24-2014, 09:24 PM
Is the battery shorting internally? A stock alternator is only 37 AMP. To burn them up somthing needs to be putting a large draw on them for a long time.
What are the voltages at idle, at 1200 RPM. Also what is the voltage at the alternator VS the battery. Then check the voltage after running for 7 minutes. The voltage should come up. As the amp draw goes down the voltage comes up. And vise versa.

i actually figured out that it is the battery causing the issue