PDA

View Full Version : 95 mighty max bagged build

bobbyk
03-11-2014, 07:46 PM
I dropped my truck 5/6 awhile back and of course now its not low enough. So I did a lot of research and got a game plan for bagging my mighty max. I know that there is going to be a learning curve and that not everything goes as a planned. So my plans aren't set in stone. I started first by getting the truck up in the air so that I could trim the crossmembers and tuck the exhaust up into the frame. Next i went out to harbor freight and bought a carport. We've been really busy at work and can't afford to tie up a bay so I'll be doing the work out back. The weather just started to break so its time to get to work. I got parked the truck out back and took the bed off so I could get my measurements for my 3 link bars. This weekend I'm gonna try to get out there and and start stripping down the rear of the frame.

bobbyk
03-11-2014, 07:49 PM
I need some help with the pictures. I know the pictures turn on my iPhone so I used my tablet and it still rotates some of them.

94mitz
03-12-2014, 05:22 AM
Not a bad start.......I dono about everyone else but I like lots of pictures! haha

bobbyk
03-12-2014, 04:38 PM
I will post them up. I'm just gonna use my laptop, I don't really seem to have issues with uploading pictures on it. I ordered a bunch of stuff from Thorbros today so most of that should be in a week or two.

DroppedMitsu
03-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Looking good, glad to see another bagged build thread on here. I still need to chop up those cross members, think I'm going to make a new tranny x-member. Or maybe later and modify the stock one now, just want to get my truck back on the road lol.

bobbyk
03-12-2014, 07:39 PM
I just cut and plated the trans crossmember for know. I think once I z the front I'm gonna make a new one that is tucked into the frame. But thanks man, I'm just happy to get started. How long have you been off the road?

94mitz
03-13-2014, 05:24 AM
I still have to chop my crossmember thats welded to the frame. My truck will kinda teeter on it when layed out.

DroppedMitsu
03-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Been off the road for a year now but just started bagging it slowly a few months ago.

bobbyk
03-14-2014, 07:35 AM
I was checking out your tread, I like what your doing. I'm hoping to have mine done by at least the end of summer. The only free time I have is Saturdays so it's gonna be a slow build.

DroppedMitsu
03-14-2014, 10:08 AM
Thank you, and yea I only really get to barely work on it on the weekends, or else I'd be a little bit farther right now. Hoping to have mine done by the end of April.

bobbyk
03-16-2014, 05:06 PM
I got some work done yesterday on the truck. I stripped down the frame removing the gas tank, cross members, exhaust, shock mounts and spare tire. I also pulled the carpet so I can raise the end of the trans tunnel. My parts should start coming in by next weekend so I'd like to do the step notch next weekend.

Uneek98
03-16-2014, 06:21 PM
Looking good. Remember to brace along the way.

dbales
03-16-2014, 08:03 PM
Do you have any other pics of how it looked with the 5/6 drop? Also, what all did you do to achieve a 5/6 static drop? I assume the obvious blocks, springs, spindles, etc. I'm just curious.

In for the progress.

bobbyk
03-17-2014, 07:22 AM
I'm at work now but I have pictures of the static drop in my album. For the front I cut the springs and used drop spindles. And on the rear I removed a leaf and used a 4" block.

bobbyk
03-25-2014, 04:36 PM
I got most of my parts delivered to the shop today, I was like a kid on Christmas morning. So I'm gonna try to get some work done this weekend.

bobbyk
03-30-2014, 09:11 AM
Got one step notch done yesterday. The weather was crappy and the ground in the carport was starting to flood so I called it a day. But I'm excited it's finally starting to look like a bagged truck not just a stripped frame. I still got a long way to go but its nice to see progression, I couldn't get out there last weekend.

bobbyk
03-30-2014, 09:13 AM
Oh yea and I got some more boxes this week.

noahwins
03-30-2014, 11:52 AM
Nice. Eagerly waiting progress.

Was your axle and driveshaft forever hitting the frame and tunnel when you were on 4" blocks?

BradMph
03-30-2014, 01:07 PM
I luv getting new parts delivery boxes for my truck. I try to intercept the delivery driver though before he hits the door because I have to explain whats inside to the wifey. Keep up the great work and photos. If your camera takes upside down images all the time, turn it over and snap the picture and it will be the right way for you, lol. :)

bobbyk
03-30-2014, 02:26 PM
I luv getting new parts delivery boxes for my truck. I try to intercept the delivery driver though before he hits the door because I have to explain whats inside to the wifey. Keep up the great work and photos. If your camera takes upside down images all the time, turn it over and snap the picture and it will be the right way for you, lol. :)
That's why I get it delivered to the shop plus I don't want my stuff sitting out front of my house while no ones home. Our secretary at work thinks it's funny because the world could be ending but I wouldn't know if my delivery just came in. Thanks for the picture info, I just been downloading them to my computer because I know that doesn't mess with them.

bobbyk
03-30-2014, 02:33 PM
Nice. Eagerly waiting progress.

Was your axle and driveshaft forever hitting the frame and tunnel when you were on 4" blocks?
My rear was dropped 6" and it would bottom out once in awhile but not that bad for not having a notch and when it hit hard the driveshaft would hit the cab. But my dakota and s10 couldn't go more than 4" without a notch, that's the nice thing about these trucks.

bobbyk
04-05-2014, 08:00 PM
Today I got the other step notch done. I tore down the front end and rough cut the spring pockets so I can pie cut the upper control arms. I can lay out on a 23" tire now so we'll see where pie cutting it takes to. I'm taking measurements from the frame not the engine crossmember because I'm plan on z-ing it in the future.

bobbyk
04-12-2014, 05:47 PM
The upper control arms are pie cut, now I can run a 27" tire. I started cutting out the spring pocket and lower control arm to fit the bags but ran out of time. I'm gonna cut the pocket more along the white line to get the upper bag mount on a angle so this way the bag collapses evenly. I'm still on the fence with triangulating the lowers, I think i'll be alright with the strut rods for now.

94mitz
04-14-2014, 05:17 AM
looks good.

bobbyk
04-14-2014, 10:57 AM
thanks man

bobbyk
04-19-2014, 07:04 PM
I had to work today so I didn't have much time on the truck, but I got a little done. I figured out my front bag placement now I got to clean up the cuts and prep it to be welded. I decided to keep the strut rods but mounted them inside of the lcr so it didn't interfere with the lower bag plate. I'm hoping to get a full day on it soon, it's hard to get stuff done with a couple hours here and there. But I'll take what I can get.

noahwins
04-19-2014, 08:57 PM
You're mounting the upper plate directly onto the frame?

bobbyk
04-20-2014, 10:50 AM
Yes and there will be gussets on the sides for reinforcement. It'll also be tied in with the upper control arm tower with plates for some extra strength.

bobbyk
04-27-2014, 06:37 AM
Passenger side front is all done besides the shock mounts. Now that one side is done all the hard work of figuring it out is over, all I have to do now is mock up the driver side. I got the driver side all cut out and now I just have to grind it down and weld it together. My wishbone came in this week, i'll post a picture of it later. Still got a long way to go but it's nice to have a corner done.

DroppedMitsu
04-27-2014, 09:29 AM
Looking good, its a great feeling when that first corner is done. I'm just about done grinding and painting my drivers side and my front will be done for the bag work.

bobbyk
04-27-2014, 09:41 AM
Yea it feels like I'm getting something accomplished finally. I'm looking forward to seeing how yours comes out.

bobbyk
05-04-2014, 04:26 PM
Got the driver side front all grinded down and tacked my bag plates in then ran out of welding gas. So I wrapped it up for the day. At least this side is going a lot quicker.

bobbyk
05-12-2014, 07:00 PM
I didn't get any work done this weekend but I did take my dakota out to a car show. It was nice to get out, relax and check out some cool cars. This upcoming weekend is gonna be a bust because I have a wedding to go to. So I'm gonna try to put in a late night during the week.

DroppedMitsu
05-13-2014, 08:06 AM
I know how it is not having time to work on your truck, the Dakota's looking good though.

bobbyk
05-13-2014, 10:48 AM
I've been counting weeks until a upcoming show that i wanted to take it to in august. But i can't get too stressed over it, it'll be done when it's suppose to be. Once the mighty max is done the dakota is getting sold, i'm keeping my eye out for a nice classic cruiser. Is your truck getting close yet?

DroppedMitsu
05-14-2014, 09:52 AM
No not yet, same point on mine although I have been working on and knocking out some smaller stuff that needs to get done. I've been to busy with o/t and helping my buddy bag his single cab mighty max. I was hoping to take mine to a local cruise at the end of the month butndoesnt look like ill make it. I at least hope to have it done by my birthday in July.

bobbyk
05-21-2014, 05:40 PM
I got the drivers side front done tonight. This weekend I'm work on the shock mounts and cutting out the wheel wells for the trailer fenders. I'm hoping to have enough time to tear it all down and get it painted but we'll see.

BradMph
05-21-2014, 08:18 PM
I didn't get any work done this weekend but I did take my dakota out to a car show. It was nice to get out, relax and check out some cool cars. This upcoming weekend is gonna be a bust because I have a wedding to go to. So I'm gonna try to put in a late night during the week.

Nice truck you have.

bobbyk
05-22-2014, 03:45 AM
Thank you. I've been meaning to get some pictures posted in the other vehicle section. I'll try to do it this weekend.

bobbyk
05-25-2014, 06:52 AM
All of the fabrication is done on the front end. I got the shocks relocated (in the picture the mounts are just tacked in place). I decided to use my toxic shocks for now because I'm on a budget. Maybe down the line I'll switch to the bilstein shocks and rework my mounts. So everything is torn down now and being prepped for paint.

noahwins
05-25-2014, 09:38 AM
Can you get a close up of the upper mount? I want to see how much of the cup you cut out -- looks clean.

bobbyk
05-25-2014, 10:37 AM
Thanks. Next time I'm at the shop i'll snap a picture. I cut it on a angle above the frame.

bobbyk
06-03-2014, 08:01 PM
I got everything painted and started assembling the front end. The passenger side is all together, minus the bag.

BradMph
06-03-2014, 09:28 PM
Looking good Bobby, guess your getting a little excited right about now that it's getting close.

bobbyk
06-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Oh yea definitely! Thank you. It's nice to have the front done and be able to move to the rear where it's all out in the open. I still have quite a bit to do but I'm aiming to finish it in September.

bobbyk
06-05-2014, 03:51 PM
Drivers side is together. I've been messing around with it on my lunch breaks. This weekend I'm gonna cut out the wheel wells.

BradMph
06-05-2014, 10:21 PM
Grab the saws-all...:jason:

bobbyk
06-07-2014, 06:11 PM
We're tucking! I cut out both wheel wells and now I have to put in some trailer fenders. I'm gonna make a run to the store soon to get the rest of the metal and hardware I need to finish the truck.

bobbyk
06-22-2014, 04:15 PM
I don't have much of a update. I've been pretty busy the last couple weekends with other stuff so I haven't been able to touch the truck. But I did go out this weekend and get some trailer fenders for the front and steel for my 4 link crossmember. I'll be back on the truck in a few weeks when I get back from vacation. I'm already feeling the withdrawal...

bobbyk
07-19-2014, 07:16 PM
It's been a month and I finally got back on the truck today. I don't have any pictures worth posting yet but I started on the crossmember for my 3-link. By next weekend I should hopefully have the crossmember and 3-link bars all done. I set a new completion date but if I don't make it then its ok. I'd like to drive it to the drop'em show in N.C. on October 18th.But we'll see what happens, all I know is that I'm happy to be back to working on the truck!

bobbyk
07-26-2014, 09:55 PM
Today I got the crossmember done and tacked my wishbone in place. I still want to reinforce it with some gussets and tie it into my bed mounts for a little extra strength, but I ran out of time today. I also decided to not use my escalades and go with GM 17" steelies. So that's it for this week, next weekend I'm going to the truck nationals in Carlisle Pa. so their wont be any work getting done.

asmyser
08-05-2014, 11:14 AM
Did you have any of your trucks at the show at Carlisle, i was there on Friday with mine for a while. Got some looks.

bobbyk
08-06-2014, 11:37 AM
I was there Saturday and Sunday with my dakota. The whole drive I was wishing I was in my mighty max. But definitly next year. What kind of looks where you getting?

bobbyk
08-09-2014, 08:01 PM
Today I got the braces and gussets in for the cross member and the lower bars in place for the 3 link. I also cut the tunnel out for the drive shaft, I can lay out the rear on a 27" tire. All of the tabs for the 3 link are still only tacked for now until I figure out the bag placement and shocks. So that'll be next.

BradMph
08-09-2014, 10:23 PM
Nice....Sure hope your universal joints never snap and sends that driveshaft into a spasm. Making progress Bobby.:)

bobbyk
08-10-2014, 05:44 AM
Thanks Brad. I'm gonna make a new tunnel with probably 1/8" steel. But the driveshaft will only be that high if I'm layed out on a 27" tire. As of right now I'm only running a 24" tire but I just wanna plan for the future.

bobbyk
08-17-2014, 07:35 PM
I made it over to the shop for a little while today. I got the bag brackets welded in for the 3-link.

bobbyk
08-25-2014, 06:19 PM
I put in another bar for the upper bag bracket for added support and mounted my rear shocks. While I had it all apart to weld the tabs I finished welding the bottom of the step notches since the diff was out of the way. I also painted the steelies and mount and balanced the tires.

bobbyk
08-26-2014, 04:30 PM
Did the under bar gussets today on my lunch.

bobbyk
08-31-2014, 07:59 AM
Mounted my gas tank yesterday. I need to run to the store next weekend to get some more steel for mounting my air tank and compressors. I also put my new wheels on to see how they'd look tucked.

DroppedMitsu
08-31-2014, 11:56 AM
Truck and work is looking great! The steelies look awesome too. You and my buddy are mking me jealous, I need to get to work on mine and stop slacking.

geezer101
08-31-2014, 08:20 PM
Steelies look tough dude! I'm seriously looking into getting a set when my cash flow improves. The 17" rims don't look over the top in basic black either...

bobbyk
09-01-2014, 07:30 AM
Thanks guys. I got tired of seeing escalades on everything and I was looking for something basic. I think I'm gonna do a red pinstripe in the outer lip of the rim. It feels good though, it's like I see light at the end of the tunnel. So droppedmitsu what's your buddy building?

DroppedMitsu
09-01-2014, 04:39 PM
I've been helping him bag a single cab mighty max.

bobbyk
09-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Nice. Once I'm done my truck me and my buddy are probably doing his 1st gen s10, which should be a breeze after doing a mighty max.

bobbyk
09-06-2014, 07:14 PM
I didn't get a lot of time on the truck today but I did get the air tank mounted. Next will be the compressors.

bobbyk
09-14-2014, 05:36 PM
The back half is officially done! Now I have to take it all apart and prep it for paint but before I do that im gonna raise the bed floor to see how it all fits. Today I got the compressors mounted and also got started on the tunnel.

bobbyk
09-20-2014, 05:39 PM
Started raising the bed floor today. It's taking longer than I expected so I'm gonna try to get on it tomorrow also.

BradMph
09-20-2014, 09:59 PM
I have to say that you guys bagging your trucks and rebuilding them to the frame are some dedicated folks. I wish I had the time and energy to make such changes. I definitely like to see all your final builds completed as much as you all enjoy them after your done. You all go the extra mile with fabricating and sculpting these things and it gives all us others some interesting reading. Keep up the great stuff, it keeps me coming back. :thumbup:

bobbyk
09-21-2014, 09:45 AM
Thank you, I really appreciate the kind words. It is a lot of time to dedicate to a project and it's even harder when your limited on time. For instance my son stayed at his cousins last night so I got up a 6am so I could button up some loose ends before he got home at 11am. On a side note, my buddy picked up a bagged 85 datsun 720 yesterday and taking it out for a spin was a lot of motivation!

bobbyk
09-27-2014, 08:46 PM
I made the bed mounts to compensate for the 6 1/2" raised bed floor. My plans are to put the bed on this week to check that everything clears and to figure out where I'm gonna mount my valves. I'm thinking about adding a bar across the frame behind the compressors, but I wont know for sure until I see my clearances. I started welding the tunnel today but ran out of gas so I guess that'll be next weekend. I was going over list of stuff left and I think I could maybe be done in a month if nothing else comes up.

DroppedMitsu
09-29-2014, 10:40 AM
Man these mighty max beds are a pain in the behind to raise the bed floor compare to other trucks I have seen. Took me forever when I did my last single cab. Looks good though, can't wait to see yours finished

bobbyk
10-01-2014, 06:27 PM
Yea I thought it was gonna be done in a day... I was wrong. I got a lot done but I still have to brace the sides and make the filler panel for the back of the bed. This is the first one I did so I don't have anything to compare it to but I heard that others are easier. But I like a challenge otherwise I would have done a s10 like everyone else. I put the bed on the other day and everything fit nice and the body lines lined up. It felt good to see it look like a truck.

bobbyk
11-09-2014, 12:14 PM
Man its been awhile since I updated. Life has been real busy lately but I still am chopping away at the mighty max. Since I last posted I got the back half all cleaned up and painted, plumbed and wired my fuel tank, installed my exhaust, finished the trans tunnel and I just got started on the front wheel wells. Right now I'm waiting on the rest of my fittings to come in. I ordered them from gaugestore and half of them came in and the rest were suppose to be drop shipped from smc.

bobbyk
11-25-2014, 06:18 PM
I got a lot done last weekend. I mounted the fuel filler neck in the bed floor and got the bottom of the bed all cleaned up and undercoated. I still need to clean up the inside of the bed and spray in a bed liner but I can do that after it's on the truck. The front tubs are all done and everything got relocated under the hood. So I assembled the front end, bleed the brakes, installed the bags, mounted my gauges then I fired it up. It was really nice to hear it run again, she wasn't happy after sitting that long but it got nice and quiet within a few minutes. So this weekend I'll be plumbing and wiring all of the air ride. I also have a lot of little shit to do but hopefully it will be driving by the end of the weekend. So we'll see...

BradMph
11-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Glad your getting it done before everyone is driving space ships around instead of cars. :P I like seeing people's progress around this place. If none was made this place would be boring.

bobbyk
11-26-2014, 03:32 PM
Tell me about it. I feel like it's been forever but I know it's nothing compared to other peoples build. I'm planning on driving it for awhile bagged then once I get a garage at my house I'm gonna z and body drop it.

sbcftw
11-27-2014, 04:12 AM
looking good dude. after i get done w my sbc swap and sas for a daily probobly gonna pick up another love these trucks

Sergio T
11-27-2014, 12:37 PM
This is looking good! I wish I would have caught you before you cut the cab up. I went with a two piece driveshaft to avoid that and it works perfectly.1205912060

bobbyk
11-27-2014, 02:24 PM
Thanks guys. Sergio I like what you did with the 2 piece drive shaft. I really didn't think of that cause I was trying to use what I had. But I see you got them crossmembers all cleaned up.

Sergio T
11-30-2014, 07:52 AM
Yeah, it was laying frame uneven. so we made all new crossmembers and added the carrier bearing for the drive shaft. can't wait to see it finished...of course everyone knows these truck are never done.

bobbyk
12-07-2014, 08:23 AM
I finally got the truck on the road! The weather has been crappy so I was waiting for a nice day to snap some pictures.

noahwins
12-07-2014, 11:09 AM
That is b.a.

bobbyk
12-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Thanks man. I already had someone try to buy before I even aligned it up and washed it. I had to tell him it's not for sale.

noahwins
12-07-2014, 06:55 PM
I can't believe you did it in a tent outdoors. Higher difficulty level and skill than most. :clap:

bobbyk
12-08-2014, 08:37 AM
You gotta work with what you got. It wasn't a option to tie up a bay in the shop.

Codebox
12-11-2014, 09:51 AM
That thing is stupid clean. I wanted to stay static on mine but seeing that makes me want to bag it. Haha.

BradMph
12-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Wheeeehoooo, I know some that has a chubby right now and his initials are bobbyk.

Awesome ride, nice to see it working as planned. Yes and the day is perfect for a bagged truck photoshoot :thumbup:

DDPerry
12-16-2014, 08:45 AM
Nice truck bobbyk.....you did some clean work. I was wondering if you came up with an idea on the filler neck after you relocated your tank. I moved mine in nearly the same location. I have been trying to come up with a solution to making the "gas 'er up location" look as good as possible.

bobbyk
12-18-2014, 10:57 AM
Thanks guys! Its nice to be able to enjoy it now. And best of all... my son loves it. As for the filler neck I shortened my factory one a few inches and relocated it right behind the drivers side wheel well in the bed. I'll snap some pictures and post them up.

bobbyk
12-20-2014, 09:55 PM
I know its not the best looking but it serves it purpose. I am planning on cleaning up the bed and doing a bed liner then i'll try to see if I can find a nice looking cap for it.

BradMph
12-21-2014, 03:20 AM
Sure is nice to still have a truck bed though it may be a little shallower, but that is way better then a hole cut in the bed.

DDPerry
12-21-2014, 06:28 AM
That is a nice install of the filler neck. My truck is a project and I can use some ideas on how to complete it. I believe I have some serious OCD or maybe its my ADHD but I focus forever on tiny details. This is one I keep stepping back to evaluate every time I look into my bed. I was last thinking of a wood bed floor and hiding the filler neck up under a trick door.

Thanks guys! Its nice to be able to enjoy it now. And best of all... my son loves it. As for the filler neck I shortened my factory one a few inches and relocated it right behind the drivers side wheel well in the bed. I'll snap some pictures and post them up.

bobbyk
03-25-2015, 07:22 PM
It's been a while since I posted but the truck has been driving great and I got a few things done recently. I upgraded the stock alternator to a 75 amp and did the big 3 upgrade. After seeing some pictures in another post I decided to put blue leds in my cluster to match the ones under my dash. Also I finally got the bed all finished and decided to go with the herculiner roll on bed liner. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with their product so far. That's about it for now, just looking forward to show season in the northeast.

noahwins
03-25-2015, 10:39 PM
What's the Big 3 upgrade?

bobbyk
03-26-2015, 07:17 AM
Upgrading your power wire and grounds from your battery with a thicker gauge wire. I choose to use 0 gauge wire. So you do positive terminal on the battery to the alternator with a fuse inline close to the battery. Then you need to do ground terminal on the battery to chassis then to engine. Which would give you the big 3 but I did the grounds the same way that it came from the factory. It's negative terminal to body to frame then to engine. Doing this helps to provide the battery and charging system with optimum power when you have extra drawls on the system such as compressors and a amplifier. I'll post some pictures later.

noahwins
03-26-2015, 10:27 AM
Awesome. eager to see the pics. 0 gauge is basically welding cable right?

bobbyk
03-26-2015, 06:12 PM
No it's the power wires you use for installing a amp for your stereo.

sportclimber1
06-06-2015, 06:21 AM
I finally got the truck on the road! The weather has been crappy so I was waiting for a nice day to snap some pictures.
Bitchin truck, What size tire are you using. I have those same wheels

sportclimber1
06-06-2015, 06:22 AM
Bitchin truck, What size tire are you using. I have those same wheels http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12117&d=1417969392

bobbyk
06-30-2015, 10:59 AM
I apoligize. I haven't been on here in awhile. But thank you the tires are 205/45r17