PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Mighty max 2.4 oil leak

waltter6
02-16-2014, 02:58 PM
Hi, I am new here and my truck is dripping oil like crazy. (quart every 50 miles):shock: There is oil all over the alternator and crank pully cause the bet to disappear:shrug:. Also the oil pressure is about 35 psi cold, but when it warms up, it go down to 5-10 and make a loud rattle and is got a constant major valve tick from rear of engine. Make it sound like a diesel. Truck is a 1993 might max single cab 5 speed 2.4l sport has 100,534 miles any help will be thankful

royster
02-16-2014, 03:50 PM
The first thing you need to do is check the oil filter, make sure that's not *leaking, and the oil-pressure-sending-unit. Next, remove the top part of the timing belt cover. See if your leak is the valve cover gasket...we'll keep our fingers crossed, but it sounds more like front oil seals, or perhaps even a problem down at the oil pump...a seal or the cover for the silent shaft, which has a seal inside it. The primary concern is: if it's in the front of the engine, your timing belts are seriously threatened.

We'll see what other members have to add, but that's my best analysis.

*If there happen to be TWO oil filter gaskets (it happens) this can cause severe leaking. Always be sure your old gasket comes off with the filter at oil changes.

royster
02-16-2014, 04:00 PM
The first thing you need to do is check the oil filter, make sure that's not *leaking, and the oil-pressure-sending-unit

It could be as simple as a loose oil filter: try to tighten it.

mylittleshitty
02-16-2014, 05:15 PM
It could be as simple as a loose oil filter: try to tighten it.
If only my problems were that simple :bang:

waltter6
02-17-2014, 04:01 AM
Double checked it twice when i changed the oil. The timing belt has no signs of oil, and still a rattle when warm. Valve cover was leaking from rear so i retorqued them (fixed issue). Ill pressure wash it get it on the lift to get a better view.:thumbup: Would the rattle and valve tick be there if it is the front main seal? I was leaning more towards the oil pump being out.

royster
02-17-2014, 05:40 AM
I'm very new to these engines, so I can only offer my own experience. Those with years of experience can probably suggest better solutions (or probabilities) but until they post here, we can work together on this. Cleaning the engine will allow you to see if there is another leak towards the front of the engine. Oil on the alternator and crank pulley might be a gasket leak on the oil pump...I have no idea how often that happens, or even IF it happens.

Once the engine is cleaned, it's probably a good idea to remove the valve cover and timing belt covers to see what's going on in there: there should be some sort of clue. Depending on how old it is, replacing the valve cover gasket is a good idea, $12 available through NAPA or you can order from RockAuto.com if you have the time to wait. Removing the whole timing belt cover, if you've never done it before, is easier than it looks, and the crank pulley comes off easily with four bolts (you need not take the big, center bolt off). This will allow you to see everything going on in there. Be sure to keep the timing cover bolts in order, as they are different lengths. Removing all the covers should go quickly, maybe 30 minutes.

With the timing covers off, make sure your belt tensioner is in good working order.

With 100,000 miles on your engine, we can assume the timing belts have been replaced, but inspect them and see what condition they are in. You will also be able to see the oil pump gear, and see if any oil is leaking from there.

Since you're under the hood, look on the firewall for the metal plate that tells you what engine you have: you'll want that information, particularly for asking questions on the forum.

If my own build thread can be of any help, feel free to look there http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/showthread.php/2956-Roy-s-Garage-90-2-4-4G64-5-spd-D-50?p=26572&viewfull=1#post26572

DroppedMitsu
02-17-2014, 09:00 AM
The rattle is likely the hydraulic valve lash adjusters, they are a common issue on these trucks. You might be able to get away with pulling them all out and cleaning them out and refilling them with fresh oil, or you might have to replace them with some new ones. Oil pumps going out is not too common on these trucks(especially at 100k) although of course it does happen. Most likely front main seal, cam seals, or oil pump/balance shaft seal.

bobbyk
02-17-2014, 12:07 PM
Also check oil filter housing gasket and the oil pan gasket. The ticking is definetly normal on these motors and probably gets worse when you have less oil in the engine.

waltter6
02-18-2014, 02:37 PM
Well i got her all cleaned up and took the timing covers off and it is leaking from the oil filter housing, the warmer the oil the faster it came out, but no one has the gasket for sale. anybody have a part nuumber

waltter6
02-18-2014, 03:57 PM
Thats not it, it the balance shaft seal. Anyone got a part number for that one passenger side.

royster
02-18-2014, 04:30 PM
Try RockAuto.com...they should have all of it, and at a good price. http://www.rockauto.com/ You can get part #'s from there, but Mike Warme is the parts-number guy, for sure.

waltter6
02-18-2014, 06:54 PM
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=5224788&cc=1206942
Is this what i`m look for? and how hard to replace. I already have the timing belt cover off.

royster
02-18-2014, 06:59 PM
My only experience with the balance shaft seal was when I replaced the oil pump. The oil pump came with the seal already in place, so hopefully one of the more experienced members can help you more. It WILL involve removing the B belt.