PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Leaf springs to 4 link rear axle advice

Coolhandluke
02-13-2014, 06:10 PM
So I've been wondering if there is a simple way to convert my ram 50 from a leaf spring to a 4 link rear suspension and is it worth it? I plan on lowering it but not bagging it just a nice stance... I was looking at how my 89 mustang to see how the rear suspension is set up and was wondering if it would work similar to how that is set up?... also I've got an extra 8.8posi I'm thinking about putting it under the truck but not sure what has to be done (driveshaft, lug wise, an ext...) Just looking for some advice and tips I know they've both been done before but I'm curious on what I will run into and if its worth it or not thanks.

BradMph
02-13-2014, 11:19 PM
I think most the guys that put 4 links in also are bagging the truck in the process. There are a few that have done these and I am sure they will see your post soon. Be patient, they will answer your request as soon as they see it.

Fordubishi
02-14-2014, 12:35 AM
4 link is pretty easy and instead of running air bags you can run a set of coil over shocks. Just look at the universal 4 link for mini trucks they should also list coil overs.

DroppedMitsu
02-14-2014, 11:00 AM
For the lower links the front can mount to the stock leaf spring mounts. Then under the axle just weld on two brackets on each side for the link bars. Upper you can run a 3-link setup offset to one side so you don't have to move the gas tank.

Coolhandluke
02-14-2014, 04:21 PM
yeah cause id like to not move the tank if possible

Rickdees
03-29-2014, 01:42 PM
I've got the thorbros 4 link kit that came with the bushing on the left and I'm finding I need this type of bushing on the right called Johnny joint. Back then, they "suicidedoors.com" sold joints like this but didn't recommend using them.
I know they're full of it because of articulation/twisting action (front end to rear end) loosens the nuts and articulates on the threads....and that's not a good thing.

camoit
03-29-2014, 04:10 PM
If you need rod ends look no futher then here. http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/RODENDS.html