PDA

View Full Version : Shack rattle and roll

kstokes606
03-27-2011, 05:17 PM
When I apply the brakes on my truck, the front end starts to shack violently. When first starting off and cool, no problems. When I use them two or more times, is when it starts to shack. Any idea on what this is? Brake calipers, brake pads, rotors, ball joints, tie rods, what.
Thanks, Ken.

pennyman1
03-27-2011, 05:59 PM
your rotors are warping when they heat up - best thing is to replace them, cutting them may not solve the problem. Also be sure you are using normal brake pads; if they are too hard, they transfer all the heat to the rotors and warp them - found that out the hard way.

4doorciv
03-27-2011, 06:09 PM
I would start with pennymans suggestion on replacing. Let us know if this doesn't fix the problem. If anything there are more problems that were only noticable when the brakes were applied, like worn suspension parts like ball joints or bushings for example.

pennyman1
03-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Definately check the front end parts and wheel bearings - the lower control arm bushings in rubber are only good for 10 to 20 K miles before they egg shape. Strut rod bushings also rott and fall out , causing vibration. There are urethane replacements for both bushings that are no more than the rubber ones and will probably outlast the truck - I have had a set in mine for nearly 20 years and they are like new.

4doorciv
03-28-2011, 09:59 PM
That is great information. Do you have a part number for these bushings as well as a manufacturer? Me being an old Honda guy, relied on energy suspension for poly bushings and hasport or place racing for poly engine mounts.

pennyman1
03-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Try this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140499172480&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

4doorciv
03-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Wow. It is energy suspension. Thanks for the link. I wonder if the op found out his problem. This thread kinda went off topic.

l.k.
03-31-2011, 05:06 AM
yeah did you ever find anything out invovling this problem...

cheap pads, warped rotors.....

man my expedition had cheap pads and rotors when i bought it...and within a week they were warped...not even useable.

it can lead to other problems if its not taken care of...

lush90
04-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Really, really important to torque lug nuts to spec in the star pattern, uneven tightening causes rotors to warp under heat. It is possible to take a set of warped rotors, torque them properly and "warp" them back into shape by regularly checking the torque every few days after getting them hot (with normal braking). If you had the rotors off for some reason and reinstalled them with a rust build up on the back or on the spindle, you will also get a pulsating pedal.

kstokes606
05-01-2014, 06:53 PM
Sorry it took so long to get back. I replaced the rotors and the problem was solved. Thanks everyone's in put.