PDA

View Full Version : New Truck and New Issues!

diablodude64
01-17-2014, 08:48 PM
Hello everyone, I am new here. I just picked up a 1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max with the 4d55-T diesel.

Basically, the guy I bought the truck from blew the head gasket and replaced it, and wasn't able to get it to start. So, when I got it, the timing belt was off already, and I basically put it all back together. Put a new battery in it, primed the fuel all the way up to the injectors (i.e. when I turn it over with them cracked, fuel comes out in pulses), tightened them down and went to see if I could get it to fire and she doesn't want to. The glow plugs were wired manually and I have tested them and they are all good.

When I turn it over, I get a lot of white smoke that smells like partially burned diesel out of the tail pipe.

I have drained the battery twice now and can't seem to figure this out?

Any ideas would be awesome guys!

Thanks, Kyle

camoit
01-17-2014, 09:04 PM
double check the timing belts. The pump must start to inject 17 deg BTDC. Somthing is off. White smoke = no heat in the cylinder.

diablodude64
01-17-2014, 10:03 PM
double check the timing belts. The pump must start to inject 17 deg BTDC. Somthing is off. White smoke = no heat in the cylinder.

I've checked belt timing multiple times. I'll do it again tomorrow just to be extra sure.

I know I said I tested the glow plugs, but to be sure I did it right, what is the best way to make sure they are functioning?

Thanks, Kyle

camoit
01-19-2014, 02:53 PM
use an ohm meter on them. IDK what they should read. But it should be in one of the books we have in the manual section.

diablodude64
01-19-2014, 09:33 PM
Okay, so I checked the timing and it is spot on. I get a lot of white smoke when trying to start the truck, but it doesn't seem like it wants to go. I just replaced the glow plugs and I am now waiting for the battery to charge. I am going to check the valve clearance's and make sure they are in spec and then i'll get back to you guys.

~Kyle

diablodude64
01-20-2014, 01:52 PM
Here is an update:

So, I adjusted the valves which were way to tight, and then made sure I was getting voltage to the glow plugs again, and everything checks out. Still won't start... The weird thing is, is that I can spray some ether in the intake and it won't even try to start. SO, anyone have any ideas before I pull the engine and just rebuild the whole thing?

~Kyle

Fordubishi
01-20-2014, 02:46 PM
you left out the spark plugs? :confused1:

buicken
01-21-2014, 04:54 AM
With the battery fully charged, hook a jumper box, or another truck to it .
Then try it. My truck needed tons of juice to start.
can you check compression?

diablodude64
01-21-2014, 05:18 PM
Well guys... I bought a compression tester today and across the board, every cylinder was less than 100 psi...

So, I guess it is full rebuild time. That being said, does anyone know of a good source for pistons, rings, and a good gasket set. The bearings, I can find quality brands.

Also, anyone who knows these engines inside and out, is there anything in particular that I should replace/check etc?

Thanks, Kyle

pennyman1
01-21-2014, 06:25 PM
pm Mikewarme on here he has the parts or call him - I'll post the number when I find it on here in another thread.

diablodude64
01-21-2014, 06:26 PM
Alright, thank you.

pennyman1
01-21-2014, 06:48 PM
Found it 8182683012 Text him about what you need or email him at mikewarme@yahoo.com

mikewarme
01-22-2014, 08:09 AM
Compression on these should be 375-425 PSI. DO NOT USE ETHER!!!!! this is a diesel with 21:1 compression not a gasser. Also some of you guys need new starters if they crank slow. These starters will eventially crank slow and use a ton of amps frying your cables