PDA

View Full Version : Killed my turbo

trevorcwormald
01-11-2014, 10:41 AM
I picked up my Turbo/box of parts yesterday. Shop says cartridge is no good, and is not available. I ran to 20psi with wastegate disconnected. with intercooler but maybe it got too hot. It had 50,000 mi. I've heard that is normal lifespan for it. So my idea is to go water cooled. I'm looking for all necessary parts for this conversion except turbo. I have never seen these so I don't know exactly what they look like. Any help would be appreciated. Photos of watercooled turbo installed with tubing/lines would be awesome. Maybe I need to call Canadian auto wreckers and knowing what to ask for would be helpful.

noahwins
01-11-2014, 12:02 PM
4D55 Performance did that exact upgrade, used the water and oil cooled turbo from the 4D56. I think there was a thread on 4x4 Trail Talk about it.

mikewarme
01-12-2014, 11:03 AM
The turbos typically blew oil after 50,000. I would say your turbo was not done right the first time. The housings have to be bored out for oversize bearings to do them right. I have all the parts needed if interested new genuine parts. Costs around $300 for :

New style 4d56 water pump
New style thermostat housing
New style Heater bypass tube (Wraps behind engine and has tee for turbo water)
Banjo bolts
Banjo tubes to connect to turbo (2)
New style radiator hose neck for head and all the tubing that runs from there back to the turbo.
I recommend buying new 4d56 turbo from ebay but NOS not CHINA!!! The china turbos last less than 10,000 miles
Includes clips and hoses

This is the kit I installed on Spencers truck (4d55 performance)

4D55 Performance
01-13-2014, 08:34 PM
The turbos typically blew oil after 50,000. I would say your turbo was not done right the first time. The housings have to be bored out for oversize bearings to do them right. I have all the parts needed if interested new genuine parts. Costs around $300 for :

Banjo bolts
New style radiator hose neck for head and all the tubing that runs from there back to the turbo.
I recommend buying new 4d56 turbo from ebay but NOS not CHINA!!! The china turbos last less than 10,000 miles
Includes clips and hoses

This is the kit I installed on Spencers truck (4d55 performance)

Here is the kit and the part numbers that are installed on my silver pickup.http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4114/4881673878_7dcba3d01b_z.jpg

trevorcwormald
01-15-2014, 09:19 PM

Banjo bolts
Includes clips and hoses

This is the kit I installed on Spencers truck (4d55 performance)My current turbo is Chinese, With 5,000 mi. I had to fab a oil supply fitting to make it work. In touch soon.

trevorcwormald
02-17-2014, 10:34 PM

Banjo bolts
Includes clips and hoses

This is the kit I installed on Spencers truck (4d55 performance) Ok the turbos I see have 3 bolt inlet with 3 bolt outlet, AND 3 bolt inlet with 5 bolt outlet. I have not studied to see if an OEM water/oil cooled turbo must be 5 bolt outlet, or 3 bolt. I have 3 bolt. I would prefer not to buy a 5 bolt exhaust extension but will if I have to.