PDA

View Full Version : Need weber Info

ram5.0
12-27-2013, 08:38 PM
first let me say I know there are tons of posts about Webers all over but I can find any info about what fuel pump to run..any info with part numbers would be great thanks guys.

Ram50-Newb
12-28-2013, 04:20 AM
Several folks on here run the Carter P4070 mounted back near the fuel tank. I am currently running a small one mounted in the engine bay (Mr. Gasket Micro 42S pump), but mine has not seen the open road, it has just been a farm truck since the pump was installed, so not sure how well the 42GPH would perform on the Interstate at WOT.

The Carter would be the safe bet.

noahwins
12-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Install the Carter as close to the tank as possible, within a few feet so it doesn't burn out and put it on a relay. There's a good wiring diagram on this site if you search around for it. I found the pump annoyingly loud, I made a little case with a vented aluminum hobby project enclosure to deaden the sound and also protect it from rocks on the road.

Ram50-Newb
12-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Install the Carter as close to the tank as possible, within a few feet so it doesn't burn out and put it on a relay. There's a good wiring diagram on this site if you search around for it. I found the pump annoyingly loud, I made a little case with a vented aluminum hobby project enclosure to deaden the sound and also protect it from rocks on the road.

Noah - Any chance you could post a picture? I bought a Carter some time ago to replace the existing one in the engine bay. I have just been struggling with a good position to place it on the truck. I like the way Mopar_ja had mounted his, but my gas tank layout will not allow me to do the same. Thanks!

noahwins
12-29-2013, 08:58 AM
My truck is closed for rennovstion right now (slowly bagging it) but it's just a machined aluminum project enclosure for electronics hobbyists from mouser.com. Almost identical to mopar_ja's. Do you have a picture of your tank and frame? What's it hanging up on?

Ram50-Newb
12-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Noah - It's hard to see in this photo, but if you look to the left you can see the mounts/supports for the bed behind the cab. Between those are the hoses that connect to the fuel inlet spout. Their placement is making it difficult to mount a plate between the supports high enough to keep the pump above the frame.

I can try to get a better pic, once the weather lets up.

pennyman1
12-29-2013, 05:40 PM
the 87 up fuel lines are in the way to mount the pump like mopar -ja and I did on the 1st gen trucks - the lines come right out of the upper side of the tank right between the bed support posts. Not sure what the best way to mount one on the 2nd gen yet - just got an 89 and will look at it when I start working on it to see what it would take.

ram5.0
12-29-2013, 06:00 PM
thanks for all the info guys...

noahwins
12-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Try bolting it to the outside frame just aft if the cab.

pennyman1
01-01-2014, 03:17 PM
that can work but is not the safest place to put it in case of collision in that area - do you really want a gas line sheared off with a running pump in a collision? Think 73-87 chevy trucks with gas tank outside of the frames...

kla94
01-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Can you use the stock fuel pump with a weber? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

pennyman1
01-01-2014, 04:11 PM
the short answer is no - it overpressures the needle and seat and causes flooding of the carb. using a pressure reg usually blows the pump due to the backpressure of the pump from the regulator restriction on the line. You will need to install an electric fuel pump back at the tank to supply fuel at the right pressure and volume. there are several threads on this forum that will give you all the information you need to install the pump safely.

kla94
01-01-2014, 04:20 PM
Thanks Pennyman. I have small issues with the tank anyways. It's gotta come out more than likely.

noahwins
01-01-2014, 04:48 PM
that can work but is not the safest place to put it in case of collision in that area - do you really want a gas line sheared off with a running pump in a collision? Think 73-87 chevy trucks with gas tank outside of the frames...

But wouldn't the explosion be spectacular??

Hmm, I wasn't old enough to know about the Checy trucks. What's a better location for it?

pennyman1
01-01-2014, 06:19 PM
haven't determined that yet - will figure that out when I start on the 89 longbed for my Dad.

ram5.0
01-05-2014, 11:52 AM
does anyone have a pic of the weber DFEV 32/36 linkage with an auto transmission installed... i cant figure this out..! my truck is an 88 ram 50 with a 2.0.. thanks

BradMph
01-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Sure you can figure it out. If it doesn't line up right, lift the carb turn 180 degrees and try it that way. I used same linkage up to the carb, then used one of their included link parts.
Got a picture of the problem your coming up against?

ram5.0
01-05-2014, 02:29 PM
A pic of your set up would be great....I have installed webers on 4 diffrent vehicles with out issues, but this set up doesnt seem to have the right linkage for an automatic. I cant find a way to run the throttle cable and the trans kickdown cable..

Ram50-Newb
01-05-2014, 03:30 PM
ram5.0 - Here is a shot of my linkage (DFEV 32/36), I had to use an O-ring and cotter pin to set the kickdown cable to the correct height. It's not the best photo, but it should give you an idea of how mine is setup.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/FDTrlIRfQqWPHfZEVdwT3dNY0_YGZ953-0E6NJ7nMls?feat=directlink

ram5.0
01-05-2014, 04:22 PM
I found out what happened ...Im missing parts that didnt come in the package. my carb came with the linkage for a "shaft" not a cable. weber sent me an email to let me know the missing parts are being shipped

kla94
01-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Ram5.0, where did you get your weber?

ram5.0
01-06-2014, 05:57 AM
got the weber in Juarez Mexico at an auto shop that specializes in old imports and ordered the conversion kit from redline

budman
01-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Hey,guysThe weber carb direct guy says you can use the stock pump with a 3PSI regulator?? Is he dead wrong? Doesn't the stock pump have a return line? Thanks

BradMph
01-07-2014, 01:29 PM
The manual pump pulsates and can build up a higher pressure behind the regulator giving the pump a harder job and probably cause the diaphragm to prematurely fail. It will also regulate the pressure but the manual pump doesn't put the proper flow for the weber and tends to flood them out. The Webers like flow more then pressure. You can make it work, but I would invest in a pump and remove the manual pump and install a plate at your earliest convenience. Check the plugs also for proper burning after installing everything.

budman
01-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Thanks bradMPH, I guess I was just trying to be cheap LOL I'll buy a electric pump with a regulator gauge setup and run it at 3PSI like weber said to. Anyone have good pics of installing a weber? Thanks RAM50 Guys!!

pennyman1
01-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Too many people have tried the reg on the stock pump and blew the pump - me included, but that was 30 years ago on Geronimo. Just remember that flowrate is more important than pressure and you will be fine. With the pump mounted back at the tank you shouldn't need a reg, but that is up to you.

originalowner
01-07-2014, 09:38 PM
I have just about finished my install of a Weber DGEV and Carter P4070 to replace the stock mechanical pump.The regular users here know I picked their brains as to how to do it properly. I was going to have a former co-worker tech do it in the new shop at his home but I just wanted to get it done-got tired of waiting for him so I did it myself. Kind of a pain to do it w/o a lift (you are working in the blind 80% of the time to be honest without a lift) but it's certainly doable w/o the help of a lift. The only thing I have left to do is source a #65 secondary idle jet ("discovered" a shop that does service and restorations on British classics and they had one (#65 jet) laying around) and then do the carb adjustments and oil pressure cut off switch and it will be done. Look for a thread in a couple of days with pics and do's and dont's. My learning curve on how to do it goes back to July '13 ('07 actually) but for real my experience doing it can function as a tutorial on how to do it right. The guys here helped me greatly with suggestions on how to do it for Ol' Reliable. It's 95% done and it's done right. Stay tuned.

P.S. The dude that said the Carter pump is NOISY is correct. They sure are but they are as durable as an anvil from what I have read in the reviews from people that are running them.

If you want to know what I went through initially-go to the Facet fuel pump thread.

budman
01-08-2014, 03:53 AM
thanks pennyman. I know this subject has been done to death, but I just want to be able to do it right the first time and be happy with it. So do I have to rejet? and I suppose everyonr is using the carter pump,and no regulator when I mount it by the tank? I see summit has a 4PSI pump they sell. Thanks again evryone!! I'll let evryone know how things turn out.

pennyman1
01-08-2014, 05:44 PM
For best performance you will have to rejet to match your trucks configuration.

guamboyeli
05-29-2014, 11:38 AM
can someone post pictures of their weber... i cant figure out where all the hoses go...

Law Dog
05-31-2014, 09:49 AM
I talked to Carbs Unlimited the other day and asked about if a electric pump was needed and he said no? Also what's the difference between he K610 and the K614, they list the K610 as better performance but jet size looks to be the same?

camoit
05-31-2014, 11:40 AM
can someone post pictures of their weber... i cant figure out where all the hoses go...

see link. http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/showthread.php/1088-1987-D-50-Simplification
What I do is use Google and just put in mightyram50 and then clicked the pictures link. From there it's a simple look through all the pages of pictures on the site.
There is only 2 hoses that go to the carb. one for the distributer, one to the air cleaner to the valve cover.
The PCV and brake booster go to the manifold. .