PDA

View Full Version : rear pillar speakers

mylittleshitty
12-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Got a 2nd gen mmm has anyone put rear speakers in that square shaped dent above the seat belt mec. if so what is the biggest size I can put in. Also want to change the factory speakers in dash what size our they?7487

DroppedMitsu
12-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Yes you can put speakers there, I have 6.5" in mine. Just have to make sure the mounting depth of the speaker isn't too deep.

bobsnewdirection
12-23-2013, 06:10 PM
I fit 6x9s in mine. They just barely fit. Depth was no problem on mine.

bobbyk
12-24-2013, 05:44 AM
I also put 6.5" in mine. The dash speakers are 4".

mylittleshitty
12-24-2013, 10:37 AM
thank ya thank ya

Frixmatthew
12-25-2013, 09:19 AM
what did yall use to cut the holes...

bobsnewdirection
12-25-2013, 09:29 AM
I drilled a hole in mine with a step bit that went to 1 1/4 so I could see in, then cut with a cordless jigsaw. Be careful, the wires going to done light and maybe brake lights? Is back there, I think that was on driver side. I taped them out of the way while cutting. If u go 6x9, check top and bottom hight, they just barely fit between the belt area and whatever metal was above the speaker.

DroppedMitsu
12-25-2013, 09:44 AM
I used a big hole saw

mylittleshitty
12-25-2013, 03:34 PM
I used a big hole saw

What size hole saw for the 6.5" speaker's? I have 6.5" and 4" pioneer pair's on order. Hope the slightly extended 2way speakers don't have a clearance issue under the factory dash metal mesh cover.

BradMph
12-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Speakers should come with a template. I would try to stick with a basic size speaker incase you ever have to replace one or both and have a strange size hole to recut for replacement speakers. Also get some insulation to fill in the post area behind the speaker. Probably will help the sound not be so hollow. I also am not sure if your seatbelts on that year will bang your speakers after time. Something to think about.

mylittleshitty
12-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Speakers should come with a template. I would try to stick with a basic size speaker incase you ever have to replace one or both and have a strange size hole to recut for replacement speakers. Also get some insulation to fill in the post area behind the speaker. Probably will help the sound not be so hollow. I also am not sure if your seatbelts on that year will bang your speakers after time. Something to think about.

Your right they do come with a cutout template on box face palm! Installing pioneer ts-g1644r 250w/40w (rms) They require 5" cutout for flush mount, and they do include covers to protect from the wind whipping seatbelt buckle. I had speakers in the door of my 93' and had problems with the wire getting cut in the door jam. Removed them and had a big ugly hole there. Bought 6.5" foam "boom mat" baffles for mid bass so I shouldn't need to pack insulation, but we'll see...