PDA

View Full Version : G63B into '85 4X4

Maxedoubt
11-28-2013, 07:17 PM
The 2.6 in the Little Woman's '85 4X4 Ram 50 is shot. I have a nice 2.0 (G63B) out of a 1st Gen Mighty Max that needs a home.
Far as I know, only 2.6's were installed in 4X4 1st Gens (true?). Anybody done this swap before? The only real problem I can foresee is the 2.0 2wd oil pan/front axle housing. Will it clear as-is? Can it be easily modified to fit? OR: Is there a pan/pickup tube combo that will work?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

noahwins
11-29-2013, 10:13 AM
One other issue you might run into is the width of the bell housing. If the 2.0 came out of a manual truck (narrowblock), it may not fit the transmission (wideblock). If the 2.0 was mated to an automatic, it may fit. But double check with this cart and a tape measure.

http://projectzerog.com/mitsubishi_engines.shtml

Maxedoubt
11-29-2013, 01:28 PM
One other issue you might run into is the width of the bell housing. If the 2.0 came out of a manual truck (narrowblock), it may not fit the transmission (wideblock). If the 2.0 was mated to an automatic, it may fit. But double check with this cart and a tape measure.

http://projectzerog.com/mitsubishi_engines.shtml

Yes, I neglected to mention that- They're both narrow blocks. The truck has the MA904 "Baby Torqueflite" automatic (somewhat uncommon for a 4wd 1st Gen). I also have anther "narrow" 2.6 in my garage, but I would like to go with the 2.0 because it's ready, and it offers the possibility of retrofitting later-model EFI later on.

noahwins
11-29-2013, 02:40 PM
Yes, I neglected to mention that- They're both narrow blocks. The truck has the MA904 "Baby Torqueflite" automatic (somewhat uncommon for a 4wd 1st Gen).

Interesting...I didn't know the 904s were narrow. Can they be fitted with either a column or floor mount shfter?

pennyman1
11-29-2013, 08:10 PM
keep in mind the Baby 904s are really aisin-warner transmissions built to 904 specs, but are not mopar 904s, and there never was a column auto shift on these trucks in 1st gens. Because it is a 1st gen auto 2.6, it will work with the g63b, but you may need the flexplate for a g63b to make it work. There may also be issues with the starter if the flexplate is changed. You may be able to use a 2nd gen column with a auto on the column shifter, but I don't see an advantage to doing that unless you were swapping columns for other reasons besides the shifter, like a power steering conversion.

Maxedoubt
12-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Oil pan?......anyone?.........oil pan?......