PDA

View Full Version : Steering Box/Steering Rack

max headroom
05-21-2011, 09:04 PM
New member here. First question. I have a 1995 Mighty Max with 150K miles on it and the steering box is getting mighty loose. Anyone know of an easy way to fit a rack & pinion to one of these trucks? I couldn't find any threads addressing this issue.

mikewarme
05-21-2011, 09:29 PM
No its not worth it! Have you checked your tie rods and idler arm first?? You'd be amazed at how much slop those will show in the wheel. Otherwise look on ebay or go to rockauto.com and get a rebuilt steering gear.

max headroom
05-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks Mike. I'll have my favorite alignment shop look at all that stuff tomorrow. Great tip on rockauto.com, too.

4doorciv
05-26-2011, 03:51 AM
If it aint the ball joints, a steering box adjustment may be in order. I haven't done one in a while but I'm sure they're adjustable for the wear in the middle of the rack. Note, too much readjustment will cause binding after as little as a 1/4 turn.

crvtec90
05-27-2011, 04:44 AM
Im curious as to the quality of the remanufactured gear boxes. I wonder if they just change the seals, paint it up and put it back in a box. I have had bad luck with A1 Cardone products.