PDA

View Full Version : Limited Slip Diff, What Oil Should I Run?

NueDemShlak
11-16-2013, 03:48 PM
So I got an lsd from a Starion today and I have to say, it is very clean and basically a virgin. Anyways when I put that in my truck, what gear oil should I run? I know It needs an additive, but is there a ratio or can I just go and buy lsd gear oil? Idk because I've never messed with lsd's. Thanks for any info :)

DroppedMitsu
11-16-2013, 04:19 PM
I don't believe the starion lsd fits in our rear difs, only the fronts on a 4x4.

camoit
11-16-2013, 06:18 PM
80W 90. But be sure to add the friction modifier for the Limited slip.

NueDemShlak
11-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Yeah I know if fits the front, that's where I'd want it to be anyways (all the wait is up front), and ok I'm pretty sure I got that gear oil, but I'll have to go hunt down the additive. I appreciate your help :)

NueDemShlak
11-16-2013, 07:34 PM
*Weight* I can't spell today lol long day, too many projects :P

pennyman1
11-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Lubegard sells a lsd additive available at napa, or get the lsd modifier at a Ford dealership for a Ford 9" posi - Reider racing says it is the best and works on any lsd. Told several people try it and they said their lsds never worked better.

NueDemShlak
11-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Okay, I'll contact napa when I get it done. Starting on it today. Got a few odds and ends I'm going to replace while I got the front end apart. Thanks for the info, everyone on here is quick to answer questions and I really appreciate it.

NueDemShlak
11-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Just my damn luck. The rearend I got came off an '86 Starion, and yet the posi unit looks like it came off an '88 or '89 and si too big for my front axle. That just ruined my day. I'm going to post it on craigslist and sell it and the pumpkin (keeping the "sub frame"). Now I'm going to locate one that WILL FIT. I'm just going to leave the truck tore apart until I find one that fits. Not going to put it all together, then tear it back down to put one in. I leaned that you don't "double handle" work, do it once and be done. Lol can't win them all, at least I can get measurements and fine compare against another unit.