PDA

View Full Version : New to the scene

Adami
11-11-2013, 07:54 PM
So wanted to introduce myself, I am new to the forum and the truck scene completely.

Little information about myself: Up until recently I was driving a 94 mx-6 but got t-boned by a 17 yr old kid running a red light, sadly no witnesses to say who did what.So needless to say after putting my blood sweat and tears into a car I built from the ground up it's time to start a new project. So got enough to get another vehicle and found what the truck. Picked up my Dodge Ram 50 2wd with the 2.6 4cyl for $1,000. It's a 5speed 183k on the body with 100k on the engine roughly. The body is pretty decent shape, minus the beat up front bumper and lights.

So I am planning on making this truck into a frankenstein project almost. The paints faded, peeling off so I am thinking of making this almost into a zombie style truck. That's the plan.

So what I am coming here to ask is get some idea's of where to get parts (used/new). The front lower bumper is pretty dented in where it ran into a stump so any suggestions or idea's where to get a new one. The air filter cover (metal top) is missing, a suggestion to get one as well would be appreciated. Any suggestions on fixes/checks soon as well. This is my first dodge/mitsubishi but I have been reading for about 3 days on idea's. Trying to make this truck reliable, fun and enjoyable.

Thank you for your time.

Redneckmoparman
11-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Welcome im still new here myself but your best bet for any parts is going to be a local junk yard or with the zombie theme just build a custom off road style bumper

lush90
11-12-2013, 12:42 AM
Check out the front bumper from 94-96, it's much beefier and is a bolt on replacement for any second generation truck. I think it looks better but that is up to the individual. I found both of mine in local salvage yards, you might want to use cart-part.com to help locate one in your area. Best of luck, be sure to post photos if you can.

Adami
11-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Local junkyards here don't even have these trucks sadly. I think about making a deer guard style front bumper for cheap since I got a friend who can weld.

I do have a few questions if anyone can answer. I know NOTHING about carbs at all, this is actually the first one i've ever owned/drove myself (24yrs old). I noticed the heater hose coming from the exhaust manifold to the intake tube was missing. Is that a huge issue or would it be safe to weld it shut and by pass? I am asking is cause the tube beside it is to close to actually sit the heater hose back on top. As well the headlights and tail lights work, but I try to mess with the lights (changing the brightness) the radio shuts off and they don't work period. I'm thinking short to ground somewhere. The engine code is a G54B with a B1T color code. I know the color code won't matter but figured i'd mention it. Will upload pictures soon.

lush90
11-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Not sure where in NC you are but I see 3 listed within 100 miles of Charlotte.

bobsnewdirection
11-12-2013, 03:14 PM
The radio is tied into the light dimmer. It dims the ground wire. What I did when I replaced my radio is take power and ground from the clock connector. It's the little compartment up high in the center of the dash if u don't have a clock. Pulls out easy

Adami
11-14-2013, 07:47 AM
Yeah all the ones I found by me are around 100+ miles away from my location. Not really comfortable driving this truck that far, to and from work and such it seems stout so far. But a few minor things I want to change first before taking it to far.

Does anyone have any experience with the headlights? I want to change it to the H4 conversion kits. Found them all over ebay for $60 but I looked on another forum they are saying 6x7 or something and the ones on ebay are like 8x7 or something. I searched the "Mitsubishi mighty max headlight conversion" not sure if the headlights are the same or different.

Fordubishi
11-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Standered 5X7 lights, just pick up a set of Bosch 5x7 H4's, think the sets are under $100

Lon Moer
11-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Sorry to hear about the MX-6.
One of my car projects is a '95 PGT that I'm doing a KLZE swap.