PDA

View Full Version : clutch problems....

tksblh0721
11-09-2013, 11:55 AM
The clutch on my 89 power ram 50 has stopped working. Each mechanic has a different reason for the problem and want me to pay for them to look at it. One mechanic said he thought it was the slave cylinder, is there a way to check if its that before i pay to take it in? Had the clutch and transmission fixed about a year ago. There was no indication that the clutch was going out like the last time it did. The clutch pedal just suddenly felt lose and couldnt shift into any gear unless the truck was turned off. I love my truck but finding someone who knows whats going on with it is kind of a pain. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DroppedMitsu
11-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Unless its diesel or v6 4x4 it doesn't have a slave cylinder as it is a cable actuated clutch. Your cable could have broke or the arm going into the tranny that the cable pulls on broke.

tksblh0721
11-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Thank you for your help....its not diesel so that might explain why i cant seem to fine a slave cylinder for sale. Is there anyway to check and see if the cable or arm are broken? Really dont want to take it in til i try to know whats going on seeing has the mechanics i talk to dont seem to know either. If I could trouble you with one more question: how would the clutch seem if the pressure plate was broken? Thanks again for your time.

Andy 2
11-09-2013, 03:12 PM
You can check the cable easily enough. Have someone sit in the truck and depress the clutch pedal while you watch the clutch lever on the side of the transmission. If the lever moves back and forth, the cable is still connected. If it does not move then the cable or one of the parts that connect it has failed. If the cable does pull the lever, then you have a more serious problem that will probably require the transmission to be pulled from the vehicle. It could be the release fork or the release bearing, or the clutch its self that has just worn out.

DroppedMitsu
11-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Yea just follow Andy2's post