PDA

View Full Version : Group buy of brand new 4D56 turbo engines?

noahwins
11-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Seeing as there's so much interest in these things, is anyone interested in maybe putting together a group buy of brand new crate 4D56 engines? We could buy them straight from the Hyundai distributor and if we bought more than one, it would be more cost effective in terms of shipping and price per unit.

MaxOverdrive.ca's prices have shot up in recent months, they're around US$4400 now. I bet we can do better if we go straight to the source.

I live a few miles from the Port of Oakland which gets tons of cargo from Korea so I could sign for them and try to coordinate shipping them across the US.

Anyone interested?

mighty spx
11-08-2013, 04:39 AM
im interested for the right price..

noahwins
11-08-2013, 08:50 AM
What's the right price?

mighty spx
11-08-2013, 09:16 AM
i guess cheaper than $4400..

4D55 Performance
11-09-2013, 05:11 PM
If you cut out the middle man and buy in bulk you should be able to get them for about $3k shipped to your door. I think that's the magic number.

noahwins
11-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Bump. That is the magic number. Anyone else interested?

buicken
11-14-2013, 07:13 AM
yep. I am interested. My compression numbers on my 4d55 are 300 290 290 and 180............. still starts and runs tho.

noahwins
11-14-2013, 07:30 AM
Let's round up as many people as we can from as many boards as we can. I don't imagine this would be a quick process but let's start asking around...

thillskier
11-26-2013, 09:04 AM
I had a contact that fell through for 22oo complete (as pictured for 4400) with A/c compressor and all accessories. (made by Hyundai through Taiwan...even put in a deposit thankfully via Paypal so I could get it back if anything wasn't as advertised. The price went up to 3000, and they tried to switch me to used engine. This was for a qty. of 5. I later had a Chinese source (supposedly) for used complete assy's who priced used engines from a Japanese supplier for 995.00, but found one locally I almost bought, so never followed through. I'd be interested in one as the local one is not rebuildable (or complete).

thillskier
11-26-2013, 09:06 AM
Also (for your protection, I'd get a deposit for list placement, and escrow payment or something...I would also see if I can find my emails/contacts for you to pursue further...if that helps..

noahwins
11-26-2013, 11:47 AM
I found a few on Yahoo! Japan Auctions but the price ended up being just a little less than what you'd pay for one on eBay.

noahwins
11-27-2013, 03:50 PM
I was poking around Sulit which is like eBay for the Philippines and there are plenty of Mitsubishi trucks and diesel engines are available. But after the hurricane, I would be very wary of buying anything used from the Philippines because all of the flooded vehicles and parts are going to hit the market. Unless we had a broker in Manila or something to guarantee what we're buying.

There is a HUGE Filipino community in the Bay Area (specifically Daly City just south of SF) so there are well established, frequent shipping options between Port of Oakland or Port of SF and the Philippines. So shipping across the Pacific wouldn't be insanely expensive. Also the dollar is much stronger against the Philippine peso than against the yen or Korean won. So we could save a little cash that way. But the risk of getting bad parts or something going wrong with the transaction is higher in the Philippines than dealing with someone in Japan or Korea.

noahwins
11-27-2013, 03:54 PM
I had a contact that fell through for 22oo complete (as pictured for 4400) with A/c compressor and all accessories. (made by Hyundai through Taiwan...

I think I might trust something from Taiwan if there's some kind of guarantee it's OEM. I would NOT trust anything from Mainland China. It's all fake, counterfeit junk AFAIC.

BradMph
11-27-2013, 04:37 PM
My brother goes to the Philippines pretty regularly and owns 2 homes and a merchant store there. He has some ties also with the natives as well.

noahwins
11-27-2013, 05:10 PM
No kidding?? Think he could source this stuff?

noahwins
11-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Another option is a group buy of used 4D56 eninges from a reputable shop in Vancouver, BC called Rising Sun Imports that specializes in importing Delicas. They say they have 5 engines in stock right now. They come with new accessories and gaskets before they sell, unlike the crapshoot with shady eBay mystery motors.

http://rs-import.ca/index.php

mikewarme
12-01-2013, 12:12 AM
I would not buy a 4d56 period unless it was made in Korea or Japan. If it is from taiwan its guaranteed junk. Spencer is dreaming for $3000.00 You will not get one for less than $4000 period and if you do it's either hot which is ok or its junk and won't last. Be realistic!

coyotefiveoh
12-03-2013, 11:33 AM
I may be interested, get some prices and who will be making it!

Jon_L
12-15-2013, 01:47 PM
I'd be interested in a group buy if we could be sure of Korean manufacture and a price closer to $3,000. I'm close to port of Oakland too.

noahwins
12-17-2013, 11:29 AM
I think the best thing is to do it right the first time and get the Hyundai 4D56 straight from Korea instead of messing with used engines. Obviously the more we order, the better the deal. How many people do we have right now who are firm on this? I'm guessing around 5 would be the minimum order but I could be wrong.

Um...do we know anyone who speaks Korean?

Maybe we could post something on pirate4x4 and the diesel forums, I bet there would be some interest in these there.

Jon_L
12-21-2013, 11:48 PM
A new crate 4D56 was for sale on Craigs List SF Bay Area recently with a picture of three large shipping boxes in the background. The ad said they bought three to economize on shipping costs. Think they sold it easily because the ad never appeared again.

noahwins
12-22-2013, 08:31 AM
Interesting. I know there was a guy in Seattle who did the same thing, he had two for sale. He was selling it for $4200.

noahwins
01-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Bump, looks like this might happen for a great price. Please reply to the thread or PM me if you're interested.

4D55 Performance
01-08-2014, 05:51 PM
This whole process is much more complicated than you think. As mikewarme stated, you will want the engines from South Korea, not China, Taiwan, or the Philippians. The other issue is getting the correct engine. These things are not a direct bolt in due to the oil pan but I think Kia does make a model that is more compatible than than one I purchased. With out confusing you too much I will keep it simple. The 4D56T Kia engines that are being imported are model D4BF. That's Korean speak for 4D56T. You will need to check and see if the D4BA or the D4BB models are more suitable for swaps than the D4BF.

noahwins
01-08-2014, 06:31 PM
I've already taken care of that and have quotes for 3 different versions of the engine. Thanks.

4D55 Performance
01-08-2014, 08:14 PM
I've already taken care of that and have quotes for 3 different versions of the engine. Thanks.

But have you figured out which one is best for swapping in place of a 4d55 engine?

noahwins
01-09-2014, 06:03 AM
Over the last year or so, I've spent a lot of time reading about these engines and their applications in L200/Triton trucks on UK, Aussie, Filipino, Caribbean and New Zealander boards. Not that theoretical knowledge is the same worth that practical experience has. I'd like to think I'm not flying totally blind here (I hope), I'd done homework, but I'm sure everyone would be happy to hear any advice you have to give.

I'm also not doing a straight swap on a 1st Gen like you did. Is there some issue you've run into with the oil pan that I haven't read about? The only potential issue I've seen is two bolt holes on the oil pan don't quite line up when swapping all the accessories over from a 4D55 on a straight long block swaps. Everything else I've read says it's essentially bolt-in like any Mitsubishi wideblock because the form factor hasn't changed since the 4D55 days.

There were some issue with fitment when you upgraded the turbo on the brown restoration truck, IIRC, right?

4D55 Performance
01-09-2014, 04:08 PM
Over the last year or so, I've spent a lot of time reading about these engines and their applications in L200/Triton trucks on UK, Aussie, Filipino, Caribbean and New Zealander boards. Not that theoretical knowledge is the same worth that practical experience has. I'd like to think I'm not flying totally blind here (I hope), I'd done homework, but I'm sure everyone would be happy to hear any advice you have to give.

I'm also not doing a straight swap on a 1st Gen like you did. Is there some issue you've run into with the oil pan that I haven't read about? The only potential issue I've seen is two bolt holes on the oil pan don't quite line up when swapping all the accessories over from a 4D55 on a straight long block swaps. Everything else I've read says it's essentially bolt-in like any Mitsubishi wideblock because the form factor hasn't changed since the 4D55 days.

There were some issue with fitment when you upgraded the turbo on the brown restoration truck, IIRC, right?

The exhaust and the turbo are different an that does effect the way the exhaust bolts up. This is not a big deal but needs to be accounted for when making a swap. The valve cover and the head are different.

The valve cover on a Mitsubishi 4D56 has 2 bolts for the valve cover and the Kia 4D56 has 3 bolts. To make the two interchangeable you will need to machine the head. Machining the head and adding the Mitsubishi Valve cover is about $400. Not a big deal but this is something buyer should be aware of.

The alternator is different and you will need to address this wiring issue.

The oil pan is reversed. One is a front sump, while the other is a rear sump. This is kind of a pain and can be a bit pricey to address. Plan on spending a couple hundred bucks to address this issue.

The water by-pass pipe on the Kia 4D56 end in a 45* instead of a 90* angle like is found on the Mitsubishi 4D56. This is like a $50 Fix.

noahwins
01-09-2014, 06:22 PM
If you're dropping in the motor, the valve cover issue is moot, right? I don't mind if it says Kia instead of Mitsubishi on the valve cover.

I was planning on making and running a straight pipe direct off the hot side.

I was planning on buying a custom aluminum radiator and plumbing it however it needed to be plumbed.

Am I reading this right or is the only fitment issue the oil pan hitting the crossmember?

thillskier
01-10-2014, 07:08 AM
The oil pan issue is the only issue that some creative piping can't resolve. The exhaust needs upgrading as its larger on diesel and cat must be eliminated on a diesel. As we discussed yesterday, I'm in if it comes together. Thanks for the work re these..Much appreciated!

mikewarme
01-16-2014, 09:27 AM
Depends on what vehicle the 1st and 2nd gen trucks def will not accept a new engines oil pan due to the front diff. I used a NOS mitsubishi oil pan and strainer and fit perfect. Of coarse you will find the nipple for the vacuum pump drain smaller on the mitsu pan because hyundai uses their own alternator and vac pump so it has a bigger fitting than the mitsu version. The hyundai also uses a Garret turbo. You can't expect to get a complete motor for $3000.00 shipped . If you find one it will be a mainland china replica and they do exist! They last about 10,000 miles like the ebay turbos

noahwins
01-16-2014, 06:57 PM
I'm dealing with Hyundai direct.

a914622
02-08-2014, 09:43 PM
OK so i signed up just to post on this thread.Im looking at putting one in a 4runner. Im haveing trouble getting a good low mile toyota diesel.
So if you can get them 3k i would be very interested! I would have to take a road trip down and pick it up from you...

jcl

thillskier
02-16-2014, 09:43 AM
You MAY want to rethink your position on the Chinese turbo's. I have had great luck using them, and Corky Bell (BEGI) engineering, turbo kit Grandmaster, sells and recommends them as well. He (if unfamiliar with him) started /owned Cartech back in the 1980's and designed very good and successful turbo kits for CRX, Miata, BMW, and MANY others! Also, my research has NOT found ANY Chinese 4d55/56t knock offs. In fact, the used engines I was quoted were actually Japanese pullouts (probably mostly except fro some wrecked vehicles), and were therefore priced higher than buying direct from Japanese dismantlers. I sure wish I could buy one of these engines TODAY...been looking for used ones all morning with NO LUCK!! Arrgh! My 4g 64 needs a head, and I'd RATHER just swap one of these in instead...

thillskier
02-22-2014, 12:44 PM
ALso, Mr performance, we all are in 2wd MMaxes, without front diff's....Why so negative on this attempted GBuy?? More engines = more prospective customers for your products..and you aren't selling these so what gives?

minnisp
03-04-2014, 01:30 PM
i might be interested. I have a rusty gen 1 diesel and i just can't seem to part with it. I'm thinking of getting an 86 body and putting a new diesel engine and rebuilt trans in it. is this GB still alive?

4D55 Performance
03-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Why so negative on this attempted GBuy??

I don't think I will dignify this with a comment.

mikewarme
03-25-2014, 05:28 PM
You MAY want to rethink your position on the Chinese turbo's. I have had great luck using them, and Corky Bell (BEGI) engineering, turbo kit Grandmaster, sells and recommends them as well. He (if unfamiliar with him) started /owned Cartech back in the 1980's and designed very good and successful turbo kits for CRX, Miata, BMW, and MANY others! Also, my research has NOT found ANY Chinese 4d55/56t knock offs. In fact, the used engines I was quoted were actually Japanese pullouts (probably mostly except fro some wrecked vehicles), and were therefore priced higher than buying direct from Japanese dismantlers. I sure wish I could buy one of these engines TODAY...been looking for used ones all morning with NO LUCK!! Arrgh! My 4g 64 needs a head, and I'd RATHER just swap one of these in instead...

There are plenty of 4d55/4d56 turbos chinese made and they are total garbage like all chinese parts. I would not trust them for anything. They can't even make toothpaste if you remember!! And the low mileage engines are a lie. Ok to buy but do not pay much for them consider them cores! I am speaking with plenty expierience

4D55 Performance
04-16-2014, 12:29 PM
Did y'all order your engines yet?

a914622
05-04-2014, 06:44 AM
Not yet. I can't remember who it was that was going to supply the engines? I think the quote was for a d4be? Or d4bf?
Remail me the info I'm going to move forward on getting an engine.

plh
11-30-2014, 05:26 PM
Not yet. I can't remember who it was that was going to supply the engines? I think the quote was for a d4be? Or d4bf?
Remail me the info I'm going to move forward on getting an engine.

Is this group buy dead?

thillskier
12-09-2014, 03:47 AM
I'm still in if
this is happening:)! There is anther importer/installer shop on a 4x4 forum selling used for 1800 and new for 3500 (Hyundai's) complete.

noahwins
12-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Tommy, we might be getting this going again. PM me and username plh, he has some connects in South Korea.

plh
12-09-2014, 10:39 AM
I'm still in if
this is happening:)! There is anther importer/installer shop on a 4x4 forum selling used for 1800 and new for 3500 (Hyundai's) complete.

$3500 landed in USA? Link to the forum listing please.

noahwins
12-09-2014, 12:03 PM
Tgtbt?