PDA

View Full Version : WOW smoking issue appaently "fixed"

thillskier
09-29-2013, 04:25 PM
I installed 4 exhaust fel pro (rock auto) valve stem seals today. MAJOR PITA! But, no smoke visible! I'll report on consumption, (still have AMSOIL 10w 30 in it with 2/3 of v8 "restore" recommended by my brother, master mechanic..(He really is and has certificates). Installed in it for 300+ miles, NO difference (so far bro says it takes 500 miles, but all exhaust seals replaced, and NO SMOKE!! Woo Hoo! All good Now:)! Seals on exhaust made it like new again.. Has better tq low, and more power high rpm. Wow, Major benefit!!

BradMph
09-29-2013, 07:47 PM
heck, you had to remove all the seals.. I hope you did a valve lap also! Would of been a perfect time to do it with the springs and valves all removed it's easy.

thillskier
10-04-2013, 08:31 PM
Brad, Yes I agree, 100% with you re valve lap! IF I had removed head. On another postI explained I didn't remove EFI on intake side (due to time issues (Last Sunday). I actually did the "new way" (supposedly) where I put a compression gauge apparatus (w/o gage, that part is hooked to the air hose chuck). I then was able to compress all v springs, remove keepers (with a magnet, and CAREFULLY!:).. R and R seals, replaced springs and keepers etc, new VCG, cam plug seal, (as manual suggests),and voila! No oil use! I drove 630 miles RT Monday, 220, Tuesday, 430 Wednesday, 200 yesterday and today. Instead of using 1 qt per 5-600 miles, NADA all wk! Its above full! still!, (Even after my dumb move using Synthetic on these crappy sealed engines per pennyman)!! I didn't have $ to get the top end VCG and HG set nor pull head last wkend, so bought the compression checker/cyl pressurizer tool. There is (still) no way to lap valves w/o pulling head, correct? Almost don't wanna KNOW if there is...cause youre right, I would have wanted to do that (and probably recut valve seats as well...