PDA

View Full Version : how to pull check engine codes without a scanner

J-Dawg
07-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Hey all,

new to the forum, just inherited a 1988 ram 50 w/ 2.0 from elder next door neighbor that put 54k on the clock, body and all is great, engine clean and purrs, cept service light is on and stepping on gas beyond 1/2 way produces a nice bog down that I need to rectify, I think its a carb issue from things i've seen here already, but my question today is first how to pull the service codes without buying a scanner i may only need once, is there a ignition key cycling you can do to get the codes to flash the service light, or a pin key that will make the codes speak

just don't wanna buy a scanner if there is a cheaper way

thanks in advance

camoit
07-10-2013, 02:03 PM
A scanner is not necessary. All you need is a volt meter with a needle. If you look in the manual section> over 216 manuals> look for the Haynes Manual. It covers your MM truck. In there is a step by step with pictures on what pins to use. All you do is count the swings of the needle and look them up. The EGR light comes on every 50,000 mile or so and needs to be reset. It's behind the speedo a tiny switch that you flip.

J-Dawg
07-10-2013, 02:05 PM
ah OK, so it might be the 50k service light then........i'll check thanks

not excited though about troubleshooting the carb

camoit
07-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Does it run OK?
If so then it's probably going to be the light. All I know is the switch is in the dash on the right side near the gage cluster.

BradMph
07-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Welcome to the forum, sounds like you got a good truck that can easily add 200k more miles.

scorp1990
01-12-2017, 01:19 AM
A scanner is not necessary. All you need is a volt meter with a needle. If you look in the manual section> over 216 manuals> look for the Haynes Manual. It covers your MM truck. In there is a step by step with pictures on what pins to use. All you do is count the swings of the needle and look them up. The EGR light comes on every 50,000 mile or so and needs to be reset. It's behind the speedo a tiny switch that you flip.

Im have a little trouble finding the pictures for the pin connections in the book can someone point me in the right direction chapter or even the page.