PDA

View Full Version : Belltech lowering kit

brennan1234
06-22-2013, 05:47 PM
I am just wondering if this lowering kit from belltech will work for my 1983 dodge ram 50 without any issues.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bel-436nd/applications/?prefilter=1
http://www.belltech.com/products/lowering-kits-1.html

BradMph
06-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Those U-bolts look pretty thin to me and the blocks look like 1 inch?
Depending on your decision to lower your truck, because there are numerous ways to lower them and everyone in here has their own way.
This is just how mine was done, again, it's not the worst or the best.

Rear: Has 2 inch blocks between the leaf springs and axle housing. No leaf springs were removed and the same shocks and springs were used.
Front: The coils had a round cut off, making sure that is cut correctly to refit back into the coil spring base. Base has a notch for the end of the spring so it doesn't spin around and stays in one position.
Replaced the shocks with a Koni lowered truck shock which are available online. Just type in google for lowered truck shocks and many will be shown.
The rubber frame stops were cut in half. I did not want the frame stops to be clapping on each other metal to metal and I did not want to remove the mounts either that the rubber was mounted to as well.

Anytime you lower your vehicle it is going to make some changes and they are noticeable to say the least. Your going to need to realign the truck which shouldn't be too far off and make sure all your ball joints and rod ends are in very good condition. Ask yourself also if you plan to use the bed for hauling things occasionally. I can haul a shit load of things and pull a boat in mine and no problems. Everything up front gets worked much harder when it has been lowered and if your not using lowering spindles and doing the whole 9 yards you could be unhappy when driving over large bumps. Your going to have to learn to swerve around objects in the road instead of thinking you can drive over them after your lowered also, lol.
I placed some very strong shocks up front with a very short stroke which helped the front from banging the stops dramatically. You will also learn as you drive what your limits are with the hits that the front takes on severe road conditions. I'm happy with the way mine is setup and I can go back to the original height or raise it up if I wanted to very easily.

The prices of those kits seem reasonable I guess. Don't be surprised if you don't use everything in the kit though. Everyone's truck is different and will act differently when lowering them. Handling gets improved by a good amount, that is probably the best thing about lowering a vehicle.

brennan1234
06-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Hey man thanks alot really helped :)