PDA

View Full Version : Smog due MM 1990 2.3 L Help

Robinhood
05-23-2013, 10:35 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm due for a Smog check in California in the next couple of days and I want it to pass!

I have a MM 1990 4 cylinder 2.3 liter.

I going to give it a tune up I'm going to change out the Spark plugs, Spark plug Wires, the PCV, Air Filter, Distributor cap, use Chevron Fuel System Cleaner and give it a Oil change.

Do you any more suggestions that I might of missed please let me know?

Thanks,

Also this MM hasn't been driving much till lately it Run Great but every once and a while it smoke a little then it goes away I wonder why it does that.

One more thing it just crossed the 100 thousand mile mark a couple of days ago and the Maintenance Require light came On is there a way to reset that?

Thanks for your help

Robinhood

recian
05-24-2013, 03:55 AM
First Which engine is it? The only 2.3 in these trucks is a diesel that doesn't require plugs and wires. Also what color is the smoke every now and then? Also I didn't know these trucks had a maintenance light. Theyre a little old for that.

Robinhood
05-24-2013, 05:41 AM
Sorry I don't know why I was thinking 2.3 liter, my MM is a 1990 4 cylinder gasoline engine model 4G64 I believe it's a 2.4 liter.

It's only been running constantly the last couple of months and it runs Great but I'm up for a smog check.

I'm thinking it will pass if I give it a Good Tune Up.

Thanks in Advance for the Tips

Robinhood

Robinhood
05-24-2013, 05:45 AM
Also when the mileage counter turned 100k a week ago the Maintenance Required Light turned on is there a way to reset it?

Thanks,

RobinHood

DroppedMitsu
05-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Fuel filter too, its back on the side of the gas tank. To reset the light on the exact opposite side of the steerjng wheel where the hazards are is a plastic cover, pop it off and there is a tiny switch in there to flip

Robinhood
05-24-2013, 08:07 PM
Thanks Josh,

I just had the Fuel Filter Replace about 3 months ago when my Fuel pump went out.

Thanks for the rest info, I know if the check engine light is on during a smog test in California it's an automatic Fail even if everything else passes during the smog test.

I know it says maint required but think these test dude will read it as check engine light.

Thanks,

Robinhood