PDA

View Full Version : Reading DTCs?

recian
05-06-2013, 05:37 PM
So I decided I'd get around to checking my annoying CEL to see exactly what it is. I know I've got a cracked exh manifold but I'd like to know what the code is. The book is confusing saying to use a analog volt meter on the DLC by the fuse box and read it kinda like the older cars where you ground 2 pins and it flashes codes with the light. Can it do that? Or do you need to use the DLC? Would a test light do the same thing since I cant remember the last time I used an analog volt meter and my digital one isn't going to pick up swings in voltage like that even tho it's a step under a fluke meter.

DroppedMitsu
05-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Yea it works light that and a test light or cheap electric buzzer will work

recian
05-15-2013, 04:51 PM
Gona have to get my light to come back on. I had to unhook the battery from the block to put the a/c bracket in and the light is out now. I found out the MUT-III can't communicate with these trucks unless they have an OBDII port to power up the VCI so back to the test light.

I have a cracked exh. manifold so Im pretty sure I know what the problem is but I'd like to see the codes.

recian
05-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Test light no good. My mpg is getting worse and I'm smelling gas so I know I'm running rich. I need to get this thing working. I'm wondering if it's an actual problem out of the ECM. I even tried the signal wire at a different ground and still no good.

camoit
05-28-2013, 07:18 PM
Somewhere on the site was a diagram of how to hook up the light to pull codes. I don't remember where it was . If you find it let me know and I'll stick it.

You must use a volt meter with a needle.
Look in the Manual Section> over 216 manuals> find: the montero and MM truck. It has a way to get the code information out of there with pictures and everything.

camoit
05-28-2013, 07:40 PM
Section 6-26 in the manual.

recian
05-29-2013, 04:20 AM
I found this in the wiki section

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/showwiki.php?title=ECU+and+Components:ECU+Codes&highlight=test+light

I think i'll go by radio shack sometime and buy a cheapy buzzer

DroppedMitsu
05-29-2013, 03:09 PM
I've. Told people about that method(I put it in the wiki) tons of times, and its easy, and no one ever uses it.