PDA

View Full Version : 4x IFS front suspension wheel travel (1st Gen)

87octane
05-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Moved from suspension forum due to no response.

Orig post:

Suspension travel w/montero uppers is 2.5 inches?

I've been mocking up my collection of 1st gen 4x4 chassis parts and doing some measuring. Took the torsion bar off, put the Montero 1st gen upper arm on, put the big Sport brakes on, put the big 16" wheel with 30" tire on. Bump stops on upper and lowers are stock. Measured the wheel travel from bump to bump, got a miserable 2.5" of wheel travel. WTF?

Obviously gotta trim the bumpstops to death. What's the max travel I should be expecting and what are the steps to get it?

87octane
05-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Update: removed upper and lower bumpstops and measured wheel travel again. Using rancho 5602 shock with 2" of additional lift capacity and sway bar and torsion removed. With no bumpstops, rebound drops to almost metal on metal but hangs up probably in the CV joint of the axle. Compression tops out the shock. Measured travel 7.25" at the tire. Much better but will break parts in both directions.

Adding in minimal bump stops probably drops travel # to 6".

What are you 4x4 guys getting for wheel travel?

Natureboy
05-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Wow, that's really surprising that you lost so much travel. I don't understand what would limit it so severely. I have been planning on doing the UCA swap also, but your experience seems pretty negative. I can't figure what mod you made would drop your travel to 2.5"-UCA swap shouldn't , bigger rotors can't affect it, and removing the sway bar should let it move easier and extend further. Could your shock compression be the problem? Rod "bottoming out" because of additional droop length? Plz keep us informed.

87octane
05-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Update: 1st gen montero UCA is identical to 1st gen MR50 UCA. Torsions are same length and spline count as well. (can't comment on torsion diameter differences between 1st gens, don't know)

So apparently I need 2nd gen Montero uppers, exact years unknown. Rockauto.com shows no upper control arm bushings available for rebuilding junkyard 2nd gen montero uppers. Ball joints yes, upper bushings no. However, complete new upper arms are available for about $75 ea. Hits the lower back easier with no junkyard crawling but hits the wallet 3x harder. Dunno anything about aftermarket UCA bushings yet.

Need a seperate post to find out exactly which years of UCA I'm looking for so I don't throw any more money away.

Natureboy
05-19-2013, 11:02 AM
good to know on the UCA's.

tanzytinkerz
05-22-2013, 01:20 PM
So all I need to lift my 84 D50 in the front is new struts and Upper Control Arms from a pre 91 montero? Is there any mods or extra parts besides bushings that I'd need? I already got the flip axle kit, sprung over for the rear just need the front parts before I put everything in.

pennyman1
05-26-2013, 05:55 PM
no 91 to 96 montero

87octane
06-09-2013, 06:00 PM
And the numbers are in.
95 monti Raybestos replacement UCA's fresh outta the box with NO bump stops.
7.5" of wheel travel. Binds up on unknown, possibly CV's, possibly ball joint angle. (no shock, sway bar, etc)
Got room to add bump stops back in, will drop total travel back to 7" to be safe on both ends.
See "dirty turd" build thread for pics of total lift gained at the tire, it's not exciting.