PDA

View Full Version : After-market Cruise Controls?

Acuta73
05-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Yeah, I've seen a ton of em. Ranging in price from under $100 to well over $400. All say generic application (carb Ok).

So, who's used what and what works well? I'm a spoiled trucker (I may have mentioned this before), I WANT my cruise control! I've found a couple tree and dash controls I like, more worried about the types/styles/brands of the actual unit.

4doorciv
05-02-2011, 07:33 PM
I've never used the aftermarket cruise controls ever. I used the oem ones all the time though. It's weird on my talon cause I see boost, then goes to 0 slowly, then in vac a bit and back to boost.

LethalEthan
05-04-2011, 06:33 PM
my toyota has aftermarket cruise control. Couldn't tell ya what brand though. It works great, i'll look tomorrow and see if I can find a name on it somewhere.

pennyman1
05-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Had one installed on my 1980 back in 1980 - damn thing never worked right. It had a set of magnets strapped to the driveshaft with a sensor to determine speed. Thing would cut out for no reason; found out the installer stuck the power wire under a fuse in the fusebox when I ripped it out of the truck.

dmr8x2
06-20-2011, 02:29 AM
i installed an Audiovox CCS-100 on my 2nd Gen
just hooks up to the tech and a vacuum port
and works great
i mounted the switches in the reces lower left of the steering wheel
switches even light up with the head lights

Acuta73
07-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Buddy at work hooking me up. He has a universal cruise left over from his old Toyota he never installed (vacuum type for carb). And the best part is the price...

FREE!

Just hope it works. lol

Stunner
07-05-2011, 02:14 AM
You can't beat free... unless it's free plus free installation. ;)
I'm hoping to hook mine up with cruise control in the near future, as well.

dmr8x2 - Could you post a couple pics of your setup? I'd like to see how you hooked it up to your throttle linkage, where you mounted the unit, stuff like that.

dmr8x2
02-27-2012, 09:50 AM
did you ever buy a cruise control unit ?

Acuta73
02-27-2012, 10:53 AM
I have not, the freebie turned into a dead end and I found an AudioVox at Sears that was sold out before I could buy it.

Need to get one before October, I have time. = )

camoit
02-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Try http://www.rostra.com/products/universal-aftermarket-cruise-control-by-rostra.html. They have them

2nup350
10-26-2017, 06:24 AM
Not to dig up a really old thread, well I guess I am going to do just that. I'm looking at the Rostra cruise kit and was wondering if there is a VSS signal on my '79 speedo head I can tap into and therefore avoid the "magnets on the driveshaft" solution. I seriously doubt it as there is almost no reason to have a VSS on a truck with a 5 speed and no ECU, but it might be there as a holdover from some other car the speedo was used in. Anyone has investigated this?

geezer101
10-26-2017, 01:52 PM
Gen 1 trucks are all neanderthal tech. But you may find a speed sensor that replaces the speedo cable into the gear box. This obviously means changing your speedometer over to an electronic unit but it will at least give you a signal for the cruise control.

2nup350
10-26-2017, 04:05 PM
Gen 1 trucks are all neanderthal tech. But you may find a speed sensor that replaces the speedo cable into the gear box. This obviously means changing your speedometer over to an electronic unit but it will at least give you a signal for the cruise control.
Naw, screw that. I'm just gonna do the magnets. I like my speedo, with it's bent faded needles and barely visible illumination.

geezer101
10-26-2017, 07:24 PM
Naw, screw that. I'm just gonna do the magnets. I like my speedo, with it's bent faded needles and barely visible illumination.

:lmao: So no LED upgrade? One thing you can be guaranteed of - no chance of being killed by a malfunctioning airbag...