PDA

View Full Version : Dash swaps

noahwins
03-24-2013, 08:14 AM
What do you guys think about dash swaps? Check this out, this guy put a Pontiac Chieftain into a Nissan hardbody. I think it matches the truck perfectly but I wouldn't have any idea where to start with something like this, keeping all the gauges and not making it look like shit.

A new Montero dash would look pretty nice...

BradMph
03-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Start with a sharp saws all. :grinno:

Acuta73
03-24-2013, 12:26 PM
First place you start is with a tape measure. Sounds smartass, but I mean it. If you have to do any serious cutting on the new dash for fit, it may look like crap when done. Or it might not, depends on how well you are able to hide the cuts or mod it to look right.

If you could find a prospective dash at a junkyard, get some basic measurements and check out mounting locations, then pull your dash and do the same.

Have to admit, putting a dash from a classic in would be cool. Particularly a wood dash from mebbe a Rolls/Bently? :lmao:

pennyman1
03-24-2013, 05:54 PM
I had a dash from an 87 starquest I thought of putting in Geronimo, but my senses got the best of me and I traded it for a 2.0 g63b head and a 86 ram 50 bumper. That dash looks like a direct swap for a 2nd gen ram 50 though.

Ferris
04-13-2013, 06:25 AM
Wow awesome changes.... you completely change the dash of the car.....but this is looking very nice.can you please tell me that how much you paid for this dash? Thanks for sharing, nice sharing.

Ferris
04-13-2013, 06:31 AM
Wow awesome changes.... you completely change the dash of the car.....but this is looking very nice.can you please tell me that how much you paid for this dash? Thanks for sharing, nice sharing.

what do you say?

vehicle tow bars (http://www.allvehicleaccessories.com.au/)

Mrieke
03-25-2014, 08:00 PM
I am currently cutting my dash skeleton out so I can make as much space as possible for my new dash. I want a flat dash like on old jeeps but I also want a nice hardwood. Never shy away from a totally custom job

OG Arrow
03-25-2014, 09:51 PM
It's a Great idea, but the reason why the Old Pontiac dash looks so good is because the old cars have the Metal Dashes.
The Montero looks too big, but maybe on a second gen. The point is if you have to start cutting the molded vinyl portion,
you can't fix it to look right. Like welding and metal finishing the old classic dash.

I agree ,,, don't shy away from a custom job if you can make it work.
Get out the measuring tape and see if it will work.
But you're going to have to Plan your cuts on the soft touch portion Very carefully.

Best of Luck ,,, and Post Pix !

noahwins
03-29-2014, 04:04 PM
I am currently cutting my dash skeleton out so I can make as much space as possible for my new dash. I want a flat dash like on old jeeps but I also want a nice hardwood. Never shy away from a totally custom job

I sketched out a few ideas for a curved, sweeping minimalist bamboo dash made out of slats with Dolphin gauges.