PDA

View Full Version : Trans rebuilding kits available K145

yamahlr
03-11-2013, 06:10 PM
FYI members, there is a company in Vega$, Drivetrain.com which has the rebuilding kits for the 5sp trans. Approx. $195.00 for the kit including the synchros. They also do alot of differential and limited slip work on desert racers and prerunners. Spoke w/ Brent, I asked him about Power Brute lsd. He indicated that it was very aggressive for street use in a light truck like ours. Stated overall it is well built. He advised he is researching other options. Will post if I hear something.

pennyman1
03-12-2013, 05:57 PM
What does he mean by very aggressive? ARB also has a lsd for the 8" rear diffs in our trucks - no air locker though. The power brute does work with our axles though?

yamahlr
03-12-2013, 07:37 PM
He indicated it will probably hop in pavement turns and chirp the tires. BTW ARB did offer an Air Locker for our trucks. I have a set of the prototype rear springs and NitroCharger shocks in my Power 50 Sport. Springs have been in there since the 90's At that time they did offer an Air Locker for the Mitsubishi L200 or 300 or Triton (long time ago... sorry). Buddy King was their USA rep at the time and we researched it. Was suppposed to be a magazine build-up the editor at the magazine had a big falling out with management and the project fizzled out. The Power Brute seems to be a good buy and has a 5 year warranty. They do not make an install kit so you'd have to source all the extra stuff needed from the Mitsu dealer. Precision Gear sells install kits for the Power Brute for the Toy, Isuzu and some others but not the Mitsu. I plan on calling them to another opinion and further info when I have time. I'll post here.

pennyman1
03-13-2013, 06:14 PM
in the past they did, but now just the regular locker. I expected to have to source parts for installs from the dealer - always had to dueto lack of popularity, although John Baker performance used to sell the Torsen locker and an install kit for it - he even had 4.22s back in the 80's.

yamahlr
03-14-2013, 06:37 PM
I'm still friends with John and that stuff is long gone. I got some of the last stuff he had (especially the Mikuni sidedraft stuff) Is Torsen still in business? Might be worth a call, or if you have a number I'll give it a try. It doesn't surprise me that the other locker is gone. Buddy said that the Mitsu stuff really didn't sell well in USA.The springs I have they never really marketed here.

pennyman1
03-15-2013, 06:42 PM
Torsen is very much in business - some cars have it factory installed. The only part numbers I would have are John's numbers from his old catalogs.

noahwins
03-29-2013, 09:23 AM
Forgive my ignorance but wouldn't an LSD prevent chirping in turns? I thought only closed diffs chirped.

The application guide here indicates it's not meant for road racing but good for "street to strip" whatever that's supposed to mean:

http://www.precisiongear.com/powerbrute.htm#

http://www.precisiongear.com/pblegend.htm

How strong are the KM145s are far as torque goes, BTW? Worth rebuilding or better to upgrade with a diesel motor putting out 160 ft lbs.?

yamahlr
03-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Again, the comment on the aggressive nature of the lsd was from the guy in Las Vegas that I got the rebuild kit from. When I ordered the kit, saw he was a dealer for the Power Brute and asked him his opinion. Please see the follow-up on this lsd in the Power Brute thread. I have done more research and in fact it ws marketed by Auburn Gear. I called Auburn Gear today and spoke with the tech dept. he verified the part number that I gave him from the photo I was given was in fact an Auburn Gear part number but as I previously posted, is discontinued. Additionally, the unit was built by a Fuji company in Japan and he indicated that Auburn just marketed the unit and did noy build it.