PDA

View Full Version : repair steel brake lines

turbomax
03-08-2013, 01:22 PM
found a hole in one of my rear steel brake lines. Is their a way to repair this without replacing the whole line? Are replacements still available?

camoit
03-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Pull off the old one and take it to a mechanics shop. Unless you have the tools to build a new one for your self. There is no real repair or replacement. A hydraulic shop should be able to reproduce it for you. Be careful not to strip the tube ends trying to remove it. Use tubing wrenches.

pennyman1
03-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Once it has a hole in it - replace it. You may be able to cut it up the line and replace from there back, but usually once it goes in one place the whole line is bad. I bet it is right at the gas tank, that's where my 88 ram 50 went, along with the fuel line.

recian
03-10-2013, 05:32 AM
Yes, you can cut out the section and they make kits to put in new sections but like the other guys said it would be a band-aid. I've done them on cars that had one bad section and no other signs of rust but that's it.

crvtec90
03-11-2013, 06:53 AM
Any local auto parts store will have lines and fittings in all different sizes. Mitsu trucks have metric fittings I think. You can cut out the bad section and use some compression fittings to install a new piece. They look just like the fittings used to hook up the plastic oil feed line or vacuum line to aftermarket gauges. Compression fittings are a cheap easy way to do it but not ideal at all.

turbomax
03-11-2013, 08:39 AM
factory replacements are no longer available.

I ended up getting a brake line, coupler, and fittings at the parts store. I had to cut out the bad section put new brake fittings and flared the factory line and connected the new line with the couplers. The bad section was just below the drivers door. It looks like something hit the line awhile back and it finally ruptured the other day.

recian
03-11-2013, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't be surprised factory aren't available anymore. GM doesn't even make factory lines. Their replacement is "Go get the line you need out of the bulk bin" and you bend it yourself. At least their trucks dont rust like they used to. If I had to do this on my D50 the lines run to a metering block. I'd get one and bend it to run to that since the metering block is by the frame not too much bending will be needed.

turbomax
03-11-2013, 03:06 PM
according to some of the online catalogs I viewed most of the hard brake lines were still available like the lines on the axle and the front lines from the master cylinder to the blocks or proportional valves. they just don't have the long lines that run from the front to the rear.

Fordubishi
03-11-2013, 05:35 PM
Pick up a double flair tool and bulk line and make your own. I do this type of repair all the time and I either replace the whole piece that broken or use a double ended compression fitting from beyond the break to where it connects on the rubber line/Wheel Cyl/ Prop valve.

pennyman1
03-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Until recently compression fittings were illegal in most states for brake lines. It is not because they won't hold the pressure - most are rated well above the line pressure of auto brakes - its the problem of people trying to use compression fittings on old brake lines and improper technique for install that cause them to fail. I used to work around equipment that ran at temps to 750 degrees F and 3200 PSI with compression fittings, and they only failed if they were not installed correctly or left loose. Wilwood and SSBC now sell brake kits with compression fittings that are legal.

noahwins
03-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Pick up a double flair tool and bulk line and make your own.

It's super easy. I deleted my entire ABS system and shortened/simplified the brake lines on my old Impreza with a double flare tool and tube cutter you can borrow for free from O'Reilly and maybe $30 worth of fittings and lines. Just practice flaring the line so you get a nice even double flare on some scratch line and it's easy. The fittings and lines are available behind the counter and in the back of O'Reilly in the parts section on a rack, ask to see the stuff. No one ever makes their own lines anymore apparently. Dunno why, it's easy and cheap.

Soular
07-19-2017, 02:36 PM
Hi Guys... what is the line size we should use... like another owner said... my like has took a dump at the gas tank...
I just don;t know what line size to get. Thanks in advance.

pennyman1
07-19-2017, 03:57 PM
3/16 brake line is what you want - use the copper - nickel line - it is much easier to work with and the extra cost is well worth the difference in effort over the steel lines.